The Stax Thread III
Jan 6, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4,127 of 25,567
This might help you, remember there is 4 different version of the 007.

And be sure to listen to them, before purchasing :wink:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-007

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #4,128 of 25,567
This might help you, remember there is 4 different version of the 007.

And be sure to listen to them, before purchasing :wink:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-007

Listening to them can be a challenge. Spent over an hour with another headfier with three different 007 mk1 and my diy-t2, trying discern any differences - 70xxx 71xx and sz1. In the end we could not discern any differences between the 71xx and the sz1, but the 70xx showed a very slight difference (ever so slightly superior to my ears), but then only on a couple of tracks. All three were great, but there is a possibility that variability in the pads (age, wear, etc) was responsible for any differences that were heard. So in all likelihood, unless you have golden ears, you will have a hard time hearing any differences without having other pairs to compare them with for an extended period of time. The mk2 (sz2) on the other hand are immediately different, and not as accurate in the low to mid bass, but nonetheless still a great headphone.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,129 of 25,567
I was not suggestion listening to them all :wink:

There's is a lot of different opinions on this particular headphone, but almost everybody says that MKI are superior to the MKII, but Spritzer also says MKII is the most reliable version eventhough he clearly prefers His MKI even to the Omega or 009.

I most admit I have not listen to the MKII version myself, but use to own 009 and now own 007 MKI.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,130 of 25,567
I would go directly to the 007s IMO. The 507s are ok (not too bass shy) but quite a bit behind the 007. The lower models more the other way. I used to have various Lambda models and they were all a bit thin, though open and transparent. If you want to avoid a cold treble, I would go 007s for sure. Great SQ for the money.

I would prefere the 207 anyday to the 507 especially when someone is sensitive to treble. But the 007 MK1 is the best warmish can out there (the current MK2.5 sounds off to my ears)

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #4,131 of 25,567
I was not suggestion listening to them all :wink:

Yes, I know. Just pointing out that they all sound fantastic, and if you are looking for a specific trait that reportedly belongs to one of the fabled versions of the mk1, you will need to do a lot of listening to find it (unless you are already extremely familiar with the sound and are somehow able to pick it up on a single listening session).

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #4,132 of 25,567
This is useful info for a rook.  Thanks for the link to the review...I'll have a read.

Clearly the MkII's are readily available.  Are the MkI's easy to get a hold of should one want to go in this direction?

HS

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #4,134 of 25,567
Yeah, I don't consider the move to 009 to be an upgrade so much as a side-grade from the 007mk1 (when fully amped). They are different and each does some things better than the other. I bought and sold the 009 twice before buying it a third time (still have the third one). I could live without it, but not if I don't have to. Not sure I could live without having a mk1 on hand.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #4,135 of 25,567
There's also a tendency to get some 007mk1 to complete a collection with 009. Dough 
redface.gif

Ali

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #4,136 of 25,567
  IMO the KGSShv off-board Sanyo 450v is really close to the BHSE as regards SQ level attained. They are different animals, I thought the KGSShv better on rock and dance, the BHSE better on classical and acoustic material. But it was close. I could live with either and be happy. The big deal about a KGSShv for me is I can leave it on, and have less tube hassles. Also it can cost a lot less to build or commission than a BHSE, though not to take away from that amp, it is a classic and timeless piece. If I was drowning in cash I would have both, or I would find the money somehow if the BHSE was a big enough sound upgrade.

I feel the same way. With an SR-009, the BHSE is more detailed, and the 450V KGSShv is warmer and musical as hell. The typical tubes vs. SS stereotypes need not apply here -- I do still like what tubes do for the midrange, however it's a subtle contrast in this case. However with an SR-007 Mk I, the BHSE makes a perfect pairing that definitely exceeds the KGSShv -- the latter pairing is way too much of a good thing (too warm, dark).

I still feel strongly that the 009 is the better headphone, but the 007/BHSE pairing is a pretty epic sound to have on tap for change of pace.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,137 of 25,567
The amp I am committed to (and I write this with a smile as I'm pumped about the purchase) is a KGST 350v which will have a Pro 580 bias.  Any opinions on that being a good pairing for the 007 MkI or MkII?  I haven't a clue what a Mk2.5 is yet...I'm assuming the newest MkII but I clearly need to get educated.

HS

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,139 of 25,567
If you aiming at 007 you May have to reconsider in the amp departement.

007 are very demanding in clean volts, so maybe you outha get a 450V KGST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back