The Stax Thread III
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #4,156 of 25,618

The differences were quite small and the "most" apparent using the SR-007s...but still slight. I would say the 450V is a bit sweeter sounding...but again, not by much to my ears. YMMV.

For your reference, Mike and I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between various different builds of the KGSSHVs and they are all excellent.  IMO, the full-sized 450V Sanyo is match made in heaven to the SR009 due to warmer and relaxing sound.  I personally think the full-sized 500V IXY is more neutral and leaner sounding compared to the full-sized 450V Sanyo.  These traits make it work better with the SR007 due to more neutral approach to sound that also to work well with the SR009 too. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #4,157 of 25,618
  For your reference, Mike and I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth between various different builds of the KGSSHVs and they are all excellent.  IMO, the full-sized 450V Sanyo is match made in heaven to the SR009 due to warmer and relaxing sound.  I personally think the full-sized 500V IXY is more neutral and leaner sounding compared to the full-sized 450V Sanyo.  These traits make it work better with the SR007 due to more neutral approach to sound that also to work well with the SR009 too. 

I concur with that. My KGSShv 450v full size off-board is a great match with my 009s. I wonder how fat that amp could go? I think I read Kevin G was looking at a Carbon version?

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #4,160 of 25,618

Which is why I prefer it...my SR-009s are my main "go to" headphones. Plus it depends on the current level as the Sanyo can be cranked up a bit more (mine is set to 10mA) and I find it's got an iron fist control of both the SR-009 and SR-007 drivers. That said, both sound VERY close to my ears and the differences are far from significant IMO. Funny, I found the IXYS a bit on the colder side of things (and just a wee bit) while the sanyo was a wee bit on the other side. Maybe a 475V in between and split the difference? 
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #4,161 of 25,618
I haven't really noticed a crank-ability difference between a 10mA 450V and 5.5mA 500V. Both can do way more than plenty, even with a 007, and I do like it quite loud. The sonic difference between these builds is not night-and-day, but it's also more than subtle when you become very familiar with the gear -- as we have. Yeah, the warmth from the 450V Sanyo is really nice with a 009. It's the right kind of warmth to get from good SS, without spilling into overbearing and thus losing detail (e.g. 1997 Headroom Max, e.g. Aragon 47K phono stage -- both way too warm/dark and dropping loads of detail in the process).

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,162 of 25,618
  Does anyone know what sort of price one might pay for an SR-009 if actually in Japan? Could one expect to get a better deal than on PriceJapan.com?

Yobodashi Camera (to pick one large store) sells the SR-009 for a somewhat higher price than PriceJapan. You might be able to do better if you check a few other stores in Akihabara, but if the really cheap dealers are outside of Tokyo, finding them will be more difficult. The advantage of buying directly is that you can substantially reduce the risk of the channel imbalance problem. Since it's most likely caused by temperature and humidity swings during air shipping, you (1) check the headphone at the store for an hour or so, either before buying or while still in Japan where the warranty applies, and (2) keep it in your carry-on luggage, in a climate-controlled cabin.

You'll have to pay import tariffs at customs, obviously, but the whole deal is still way cheaper than the official retail markup. Plus, you get a trip to Japan, which is an amazing and lovely place.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #4,164 of 25,618
  I haven't really noticed a crank-ability difference between a 10mA 450V and 5.5mA 500V. Both can do way more than plenty, even with a 007, and I do like it quite loud. The sonic difference between these builds is not night-and-day, but it's also more than subtle when you become very familiar with the gear -- as we have. Yeah, the warmth from the 450V Sanyo is really nice with a 009. It's the right kind of warmth to get from good SS, without spilling into overbearing and thus losing detail (e.g. 1997 Headroom Max, e.g. Aragon 47K phono stage -- both way too warm/dark and dropping loads of detail in the process).

The "crank" term I used was that the current was cranked up to 10mA on the 450V version vs. the 5.5 mA on the 500V. 
redface.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #4,165 of 25,618
I recently had the unbelievable good fortune to purchase a KGBH (a Justin build but not the BHSE) which had been sold to spritzer as a nonfunctioning unit which spritzer subsequently brought roaring back to life. I have to say, it's a match made in heaven when paired with my recently acquired SR009's which don't seem to have the overly bright sound signature that so many people speak of. Perhaps the newer SR009's do have less coloration; I wouldn't know since these are the only SR009's that I have ever listened to. I also have a KGSSHV (spritzer build) which is wonderful with my 009's as well as with my 007Mk1's(serial number 72xxx - not among the most coveted of the mk series but still no slouch) but, once I plug the 009's into the KGBH it's game over for me. It's cured me of craving the BHSE which I've never had the chance to listen to but at this point have diminished desire to meet in person. I know that not a lot of KGBH's were ever made but I'm still surprised that I don't have opportunity to read more about them here or elsewhere. I'm actually curious to read about the experiences of others who heard them both and, particularly, the experiences of head-fiers who may have sold their KGBH to purchase a BHSE.

Esau 

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,166 of 25,618

Yobodashi Camera (to pick one large store) sells the SR-009 for a somewhat higher price than PriceJapan. You might be able to do better if you check a few other stores in Akihabara, but if the really cheap dealers are outside of Tokyo, finding them will be more difficult. The advantage of buying directly is that you can substantially reduce the risk of the channel imbalance problem. Since it's most likely caused by temperature and humidity swings during air shipping, you (1) check the headphone at the store for an hour or so, either before buying or while still in Japan where the warranty applies, and (2) keep it in your carry-on luggage, in a climate-controlled cabin.

You'll have to pay import tariffs at customs, obviously, but the whole deal is still way cheaper than the official retail markup. Plus, you get a trip to Japan, which is an amazing and lovely place.

Been to Japan too many times for work, no thanks :) I have a friend in Japan who could get it and send to me, but really would rather buy online. 

So where is a good place to purchase online? Is PriceJapan.com a reputable vendor? 

WooAudio wants $4300, where PriceJapan lists it at 2,879 (probably reflecting a more current exchange rate)

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4,169 of 25,618
  Yes, PriceJapan is reputable, and realy the only option outside of authorized dealers. Some dealers can do a bit better than list from what I have heard but pretty sure none can get close to PJ pricing.

I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,170 of 25,618
  I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

Sorry to hear that! But I'm confused, what do you mean by "the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair"? Was it defective when you bought it, or what happened exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back