The Stax Thread III
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #4,186 of 25,674
  Awful lot of 007 MK1's for sale these days.  People finally moving en mass to 009 setups perhaps? 

Probably a good time to buy if the price is not over inflated as IMO they are still one of the greatest headphones ever made 
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4,189 of 25,674
Hi,

So while I continue to try to sort out the amp, (most likely will start with a 323, before adding as soon as possible a 727ta with upgraded tubes or a KGsomething), it is time to look at the source for my 009 setup (which will be the newer build I guess).

At the moment I am considering 3 DACs, none that I can listen to:
Luxman DA-06
Auralic Vega
eXasound e22

Any suggestion between those, or any other recommendation?
(I will limit myself to what I can get in Japan, and DSD is a serious plus)

Cheers,
Cedric

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #4,192 of 25,674
Hi,

So while I continue to try to sort out the amp, (most likely will start with a 323, before adding as soon as possible a 727ta with upgraded tubes or a KGsomething), it is time to look at the source for my 009 setup (which will be the newer build I guess).

Luxman DA-06
Auralic Vega
eXasound e22

Cheers,
Cedric

I have the Auralic Vega connected via it's balanced inputs(of course) to my KGBH tube amp, listening through Stax SR009 headphones. Yes, it does DSD, and it sounds fantastic.

Esau

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #4,194 of 25,674
Hi,

Luxman DA-06
Auralic Vega
eXasound e22

Cheers,
Cedric

LOL, see my Avatar
biggrin.gif
.... it's "only" the e20 but I'm very happy with it.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,195 of 25,674
Lambda FUN ...

I was very close to selling my Stax set up
Lambda Pro, SRD7MkII, ED-1 

It had already been boxed up sitting in the basement and I was just dusting it off and for whatever reason I thought, OK one last time listening to a Stax before parting with it. So I hooked it up to my First Watt M2. Put the ED-1 in between pre-amp and M2 and started to listen. And I compared it to the HD800 and positively the old Stax is more fun
biggrin.gif
. The HD800 gives more ambient information but for sure is more analytical. I had a couple of albums that I haven't been listening to (anymore) since I have the HD800. One of my favorites is Santana "Abraxas" which I don't like on the HD800. With the LambdaPro powered by the M2, this is a joyride, cranking up the volume and let the hair out
smily_headphones1.gif
I won't be selling the Lambda or I will for sure regret it.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,197 of 25,674
Until recently I had a Krell CD-DSP which I used as transport. Now I have a Marantz SA11s3 and don't really need the e20 anymore. I can reliably tell a difference although the don't sound identical with 16/44 as source. I have a Sonata NP20 for webradio streaming and it was close to being unlistenable before I got the e20. Hooked up to the external DAC it now can play music
biggrin.gif

The e20 is highly detailed, has great bass definition (much better than the Krell analog out), gives fantastic ambient information but most importantly : you will quickly forget about it and just listen to the music. I haven't experimented a lot with high-rez files to discern any differences between the e20 and the SA11s3 as I am too busy to listen to my CD's and SACD's (the latter often being significantly cheaper than DSD downloads).

The headphone output of the e20 seems to power the HD800 absolutely fine. I can't follow any of the complaints that the HD800 was aggressive in the treble region and has weak bass, not in my set up. My e20 has the 82fs clock upgrade and I got a Teddy Pardo psu. The e22 has a full size USB port and higher max voltage for the headphone output vs the e20 but it about $500 more if I'm not mistaken. It comes with 30 days money back guaranty, so you can try if you like it with no risk and sent it back in case you are not happy. I would be curious how many times that actually happened ... I guess they can count that on one hand
wink.gif

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #4,198 of 25,674
I guess it is about time for me to quit the STAX mafia, don't send anyone after me!

With my new dynamic amp, the STAX have been getting less and less head time, now the W3000ANV arrived and sounding better than expected even... Been a fun ride still.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #4,200 of 25,674
Sadly I have fallen to the intense brain washing from my Audio Technicas. Blame them!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back