The Stax Thread III
Jan 10, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,171 of 25,674
I've bought several Stax items from PJ, and I've even had to send one of them back to Japan for warranty. They've made a mistake when shipping it back (they swapped it to another customer), but everything went fine eventually.

Ali

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #4,173 of 25,674

Sorry to hear that! But I'm confused, what do you mean by "the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair"? Was it defective when you bought it, or what happened exactly?

I bought the SC-21 from them and it took 3 months for delivery, due to limited stock. The left side was defective just about after a day of listening. So, I sent them back for repair. It took them 4 months to sort it out and claim that the supplier Airbow has changed the entire left side of the headphone. But after listening for another day, the problem still exists. 

I was so upset about the issue and demand an explanation, so they said they have done their best as a "middle man" and then no further email reply. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #4,174 of 25,674
Massdrop has the STAX SRS-3170 for $1100 which goes down to 1000 with 4 purchases.

Is that worth it?

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #4,175 of 25,674
Japanese set, voltage transformer needed. The same is around 900$ shipped (without customs) from pricejapan, so no big deal.
Things would be different whether it'd have been an official american set.

Ali

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #4,176 of 25,674
  Massdrop has the STAX SRS-3170 for $1100 which goes down to 1000 with 4 purchases.

Is that worth it?

I was in the last time that dropped, just a few months ago actually. First time I heard a Stax and knew I found what I wanted all these years. 

At any rate it can be had cheaper elsewhere, but there's some level of support through MD at least. If it comes with any issues they'll set it straight (had it happen with a tube headphone amp I got through them). It also came with a transformer (wall wart kind of thing) for North American use. But you have to wait for the drop to end and for it to ship (and they use slow shipping) so it takes a long time to get to you, plus if in California you pay tax. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,177 of 25,674
Hi,

So I posted before about my search for an amp suitable for the 009 that I could get in Japan. I kind of decided to go with the middle ground between the best (BHSE) and the just ok (Stax amp) and go for a KGSSHV.
However yesterday I got a reply from Birgir, and the voltage in Japan (100V) make it not prefect as the power supply would not be regulated anymore.

So I contacted Stax to ask them if the could do the tube upgrade on the 007ta or the feedback upgrade on the 727a, and I am still waiting for a reply. However this being Japan, I doubt they will do it (good service, but near impossible to bend the rule).

So I am now looking for specialized shops that could help me with the modifications or upgrade.

Since it might be tough to find someone experienced with such specific request, I will need really detailed instructions (preferably in Japanese, since I do not speak the language, but for that I have little hope).

Could anyone direct me to the best online resource to find detailed information on what is needed for those two upgrades?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,

Cedric

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,178 of 25,674
I would recommend buying from the real importer in your country. If you do have issues, it can be a problem. It removes the worry.
It is what I did with my 009s, which broke the bank. Never looked back though, I love them..

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #4,179 of 25,674
I used this thread (below) about the 006t, did the 007t rebiasing, and posted some photos in this thread from my efforts. Some say you can just change out the tubes w/o biasing, so that may be worth a try.
I'm sure you could find some electronics shop to do the biasing task once you have the tubes later.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415385/tube-change-biasing-a-stax-006t-ii

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #4,180 of 25,674
Here are the instructions for the 006t amp (with 2 tubes), easy enough to apply to the 007t (with 4 tubes).
Turn off and unplug the SRM-006t II
Open up the SRM-006t II
Remove the two 6FQ7 (6CG7) tubes
Replace the tubes with the new tubes
Plug-in and turn on the SRM-006t II letting it warm up for 30 minutes
Adjust DC balance to zero
Adjust DC offset to zero.
***Since changes in DC balance will change DC offset and vice versa the adjustments will probably be repeated and checked several times.***
Turn off and unplug the SRM-006t II
Close the SRM-006t II
Connect to source and listen to music.........

If I face the front of the amplifier the pins of the connector should be as follows – AGAIN this is looking at the front of the amplifier towards the back and looking INTO the “female” connector

____3____

4_______2

__5____1__

(underlines being used to keep spacing)

To measure the DC balance I put my voltmeter probe into 2 (right +) and 5 (right -) and adjust potentiometer TVR1 for the right channel to read zero. I then move the probes to 3 (left +) and 4 (left -) and adjust potentiometer TVR1 for the left channel to read zero.

To measure DC offset I connect one probe to 2 (right +) and the ground post at the back of the amp and adjust TVR2 for the right channel to read zero. I then move the probe to 3 (left +) and leave the other probe on the ground post and adjust TVR2 for the left channel to read zero.

Left and right channels are identified on the circuit board (written).

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #4,181 of 25,674
  I bought the SC-21 from them and it took 3 months for delivery, due to limited stock. The left side was defective just about after a day of listening. So, I sent them back for repair. It took them 4 months to sort it out and claim that the supplier Airbow has changed the entire left side of the headphone. But after listening for another day, the problem still exists. 

I was so upset about the issue and demand an explanation, so they said they have done their best as a "middle man" and then no further email reply. 

FWIW, if there is an underlying problem which caused damaged to the diaphragm (misaligned stators?), replacing the diaphragm wouldn't solve the problem.

For some reason, I don't think I've ever heard of any complaints about the reliability of Stax headphones, until the SR-507 and SR-009 were released, with the exception of the original SR-Omega.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #4,182 of 25,674

FWIW, if there is an underlying problem which caused damaged to the diaphragm (misaligned stators?), replacing the diaphragm wouldn't solve the problem.

For some reason, I don't think I've ever heard of any complaints about the reliability of Stax headphones, until the SR-507 and SR-009 were released, with the exception of the original SR-Omega.

Well, I am indeed the unlucky one..

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,184 of 25,674
However yesterday I got a reply from Birgir, and the voltage in Japan (100V) make it not prefect as the power supply would not be regulated anymore.

Is this in reference to running a 117V unit at 100V? That sounds problematic, but I would have expected an amp with a custom 100V transformer to work.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4,185 of 25,674
Awful lot of 007 MK1's for sale these days.  People finally moving en mass to 009 setups perhaps? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back