The Stax Thread III
Jan 2, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #4,067 of 25,567
I still recommend the 009 with the 007t/ii amp, start with stock, then upgrade to the RCA clear-top tubes. So not quite a consensus yet...
I've had this for several months now and feel that it is a live and natural sound, nice and musical with very clear somewhat deep bass (deeper than HD800s to me), and it does not make me cringe at all at any volume (even very high volume).
I also hear a tube signature with this setup (hard to put into words, but it's like some inner light and fullness and expansion in each note that makes me a tube fan).
I have not heard the 009 driven by a purely solid state amp, but I speculate that this phone benefits from tube bloom.
The staging has some decent layering in a smallish front-to-back plane (the z-axis), but it's not cavernous. Maybe a better amp can achieve this. But for me, I can live without this and accept the unmatched (to me so far)
realistic tonality and speed of the 009 as all the greatness I need.
The 009 reminds me of my old Apogee Stage ribbon speakers I used to own in the 1990s [before they self-destructed :frowning2: ...] in that they sounded one step closer to the musical objects being right there and not behind any shield of any sort.

(Note: I've had the 009s with this amp for about 2 years now, but I upgraded the tubes a few months ago. The new tubes were a big improvement, especially in the highs, mellowing them out so now they sound just right.)

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #4,068 of 25,567
Thank you,
Modded is not an option either for me, so I guess it should be the 323 until I decide how to proceed, which will also make it less painful to just replace few months down the line as it is rather cheap (for an amp used with top of the line headphones ).

Don't rule out a second-hand 717. It's the former top-of-the-line Stax amp, or maybe it still is. And if you do upgrade within a few months, you'll also be able sell it at (almost) no loss. There are also some 717's available with a voltage selector on the back, making an international resale here on head-fi very easy.

Jan 2, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #4,069 of 25,567
I recommend finding a second hand 717. Then when you are ready sell it on and get a none Stax amp.
The 717 is better than the stock 727 and the 323. 

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #4,071 of 25,567
By the way, there is talk that the newest SR009 is more mellow, so it might be better with the amps that could be problematic with the highs. So a stock Stax amp could work well-- just speculating here.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,072 of 25,567
That rumor was shot down by Stax.  We'll have to wait for more community measurements to see if there is a change or not.  I'm guessing the drivers are exactly the same but the pads are a little different.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,074 of 25,567
See anakchan's post, he talked to them at a recent e-earphone festival here.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4,075 of 25,567
Jan 2, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,076 of 25,567
What is the going fair price for the SR-5 Gold by itself?  Looking to make an offer and I don't want to be the A-hole lowballer. Supposed to be in great condition and work correctly. (assuming no imbalance)

Jan 2, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #4,079 of 25,567
Has anyone used a Woo WEE to allow a dynamic amp to power their electrostats?  The amp in question is 50W per channel.  Wondering if this would be a good solution vs say an SRM-323s.

Thanks.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back