The Stax Thread III
Jul 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #9,258 of 25,504
I need your helps. I am considering to buy spritzer's amps.
Which is the best spritzer's amp for the SR-007mark1 especially  for classical and jazz musics? I don't listen to pop and rock so much.
I tend to like warmer sounding amps.
please let me know your opinions.

Thank you very much for your advices. Thanks.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #9,259 of 25,504
Which is the best spritzer's amp for the SR-007mark1 especially  for classical and jazz musics? I don't listen to pop and rock so much.

KGSSHV Carbon

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,260 of 25,504

The Octave - may be too warm with the 007Mk 1...send an email to Birgir and get his advice on a suitable pairing,

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9,263 of 25,504
Nonsense; my 007 Mk I is notably better out of KGSShv Carbon than any KGSShv variant. The Carbon is not warm; it's neutral. A plain KGSShv is still represents great value for the money, but the Carbon is better for both the 009 and 007 Mk I. 

Tube amps are going to have a tough time properly driving the 007 until you get to a BHSE or DIY T2. The L700 is a different kettle of fish and it works brilliantly out of the smaller tube amps (of which I have a KGST and DIY balanced hev-90, the latter being better). 

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #9,264 of 25,504
  Nonsense; my 007 Mk I is notably better out of KGSShv Carbon than any KGSShv variant. The Carbon is not warm; it's neutral. A plain KGSShv is still represents great value for the money, but the Carbon is better for both the 009 and 007 Mk I. 

Tube amps are going to have a tough time properly driving the 007 until you get to a BHSE or DIY T2. The L700 is a different kettle of fish and it works brilliantly out of the smaller tube amps (of which I have a KGST and DIY balanced hev-90, the latter being better). 

I do not think it is nonsense. Which is more notably better the 007mk1 or 009? A mjolnir kgsshv mini or full size is $3k+ and quite the build. To each his own.

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #9,265 of 25,504

I do not think it is nonsense. Which is more notably better the 007mk1 or 009? A mjolnir kgsshv mini or full size is $3k+ and quite the build. To each his own.

Well, the SR-007 is harder to drive than the SR-009.  

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #9,266 of 25,504

Hey Mulveling, does your Carbon have Kevin's GR-LV replacing the stock PS boards 7815/7915 voltage regs? I tested the dual GR-LV that I built up for my Carbon in my my KGST. Geez, that really cleaned up a lot of SQ issues that I did not even know existed. So much so, my Carbon build has put been on the back burner. Maybe it's time to git 'er done.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #9,267 of 25,504
  I think the Carbon is more meant for the 009. Kgsshv should be plenty and I love my kgsshv/007mk1 combo.

Actually the KGSSHV Carbon is a superior sounding amp to any KGSSHV variants out there for both the SR007 & SR009.

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #9,268 of 25,504

Misinformed, yes. What the dealer probably meant was that the SRD-7/SB is a passive component, which always needs to be used with an active component (a speaker amp) to be able to drive Stax earspeakers. However, the SR-009 will also work with this type of transformer box, although the dealer is again somewhat right in saying that it is better to use a direct-drive electrostatic headphone amp, such as a Stax amp or one of the after-market amps, such as one of Kevin Gilmore's designs.

Look closely at the outputs where you plug in the earspeakers. If the socket has six holes, it's normal bias, and if it has five holes, it's pro bias (which you need). If it's pro bias it will also very likely say so in small print above the socket.

Darn , mine has 6 holes .I
Will it still work , or is there any danger to damage 009s?

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #9,269 of 25,504
Yes, those are normal bias outputs. Using your SR-009 with it will not damage the earspeakers, and it will work. However, the sound quality will not be optimal and volume will be slightly lower than with pro bias.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #9,270 of 25,504
  Yes, those are normal bias outputs. Using your SR-009 with it will not damage the earspeakers, and it will work. However, the sound quality will not be optimal and volume will be slightly lower than with pro bias.

Thank you

Now if i can find a dealer within 60 minutes of Kitchener Ontario i can tote this along with me to test

It may be a fill in until i decide on an amp

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back