The Stax Thread III
Jul 15, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #9,226 of 25,262
  Cheers for that nice informed reply mate

When i said

"It seems the 009s are actively induced and the SRD-7/SB is passive ,so im led to believe there is no chance to have this work together "

i was simply parroting what a dealer told me today . i cant begin to suss what it means , except it says NOPE that wont drive the 009s . Was i being misled or misinformed ?

Misinformed, yes. What the dealer probably meant was that the SRD-7/SB is a passive component, which always needs to be used with an active component (a speaker amp) to be able to drive Stax earspeakers. However, the SR-009 will also work with this type of transformer box, although the dealer is again somewhat right in saying that it is better to use a direct-drive electrostatic headphone amp, such as a Stax amp or one of the after-market amps, such as one of Kevin Gilmore's designs.

" The only thing to look out for is whether you have a pro bias or normal bias SRD-7. The SR-009 is pro bias  and while it is compatible with normal bias amps and energizers it will not sound very good on them."

How do i figure what mine is then , either normal or pro bias ?

id love to have the 009s to carry with me to test amps , and could still use them at home with my SRD-7/SB 

Look closely at the outputs where you plug in the earspeakers. If the socket has six holes, it's normal bias, and if it has five holes, it's pro bias (which you need). If it's pro bias it will also very likely say so in small print above the socket.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #9,227 of 25,262
The 727 STAX amp is fine if you think it sounds fine, and the sound of any amp is subjective and depends greatly upon the volume levels you listen at.  For more insight about why the 727 (and 007tII) get ragged around here, check out this thread area from 2011:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/15450

In other words, the folks who find the STAX amps wanting have "issues" about how an amp should sound.  Just as the STAX engineers have "issues" about the way their amps should sound.

Either way, it's engineer types with "issues", and music lovers should take it all with a grain of salt and buy the cheapest amps that suit their tastes.  

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #9,229 of 25,262
  The 727 STAX amp is fine if you think it sounds fine, and the sound of any amp is subjective and depends greatly upon the volume levels you listen at.  For more insight about why the 727 (and 007tII) get ragged around here, check out this thread area from 2011:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/15450

In other words, the folks who find the STAX amps wanting have bugs up their arses about how an amp should sound.  Just as the STAX engineers have bugs up their arses about the way their amps should sound.

Either way, it's engineer types with bugs in bad places, and music lovers should take it all with a grain of salt and buy the cheapest amps that suit their tastes.  

Ehh??

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #9,230 of 25,262
I would do some more reading TBH, and don't jump in right away. All the information you need is on here if you look around. The other thing to do is try and find someone who has a non Stax amp to hear it for yourself, then you can cut to the chase, make you on mind up.

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #9,231 of 25,262
I jumped right in, knew I liked the 009, and decided to start with a cheaper Stax amp (SRM-007TII) to begin with. Still getting used to this setup, will slowly start planning for an upgrade amp for next year. There were a few guys on here who were very generous with their time, for sure. You know who you are, help and suggestions via PM were much appreciated.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #9,232 of 25,262
  im saving up for a pair of Stax SR 009s

i had lamdas in 80s-90s and still have the SRD-7/SB stax adapter , i was hoping to simply purchase the 009s and use that as  stop gap until i could afford and had decided on the amp 

I was in the same situation 3 years back. What I did was buy the 007s and a used 717 Stax amp. The 717 is better sounding than the stock 727 or 007T or 323. Or go for the 009s and have that sorted. Then when you get chance to hear other non Stax amps decide whether you want to take that next step. IMO the current 007A (not the earlier 007 MK2 and the 009 are way ahead of the other Lambda based units, so going for the full size over ear 007A and 009 gets you one the right path sonically.

I would not spend the full list on a new Stax amp.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #9,233 of 25,262
@Rozeqloud @astrostar59 

I'm using an SRM-323 with the 009 and it works great. Obviously it's not the best (biggest problem is a lack of bass), but I mean it's only $350-400 used. And the 727 is just as good as the 717 if you can do the resistor mod.

I think a KGSS is going to be my next amp (If anyone has impressions of the KGSS/KGST/HV vs 323 I would love to read them). Next is a KGSSHV or KGST and then I'll be done for a while. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #9,235 of 25,262
Because college tuition 
mad.gif
. Carbon is a bit too expensive for me right now... so I'm trying to get used amps off the classifieds. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #9,236 of 25,262
  @Rozeqloud @astrostar59 

I'm using an SRM-323 with the 009 and it works great. Obviously it's not the best (biggest problem is a lack of bass), but I mean it's only $350-400 used. And the 727 is just as good as the 717 if you can do the resistor mod.

I think a KGSS is going to be my next amp (If anyone has impressions of the KGSS/KGST/HV vs 323 I would love to read them). Next is a KGSSHV or KGST and then I'll be done for a while. 

Thanks

is that lack of bass from amp do you suppose or the 009s ?

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #9,239 of 25,262
Although this is the stax thread...

The singlepower sds and sds xlr are both white cathode follower output stage circuits. A shared dual triode is the input gain
For both channels (or balanced phases of one channel) and the output of this stage is DC coupled to the top cathode follower
Output tube. A resistor between the plate of this tube and B+ is capacitvely coupled to the grid of the bottom tube resulting
In a push pull output stage. Due to voltages involved, (350,400,450 and much more) you can't use 6as7 which would make
The circuit drive low impedance headphones better. Output is capacitvely coupled, with various kinds of capacitors, some
Of which were not rated for the voltages involved. So a bad tube, the capacitor shorts, and the headphones fry...

Basically usual singlepower

Do you mind me asking why your a "proud" SP owner? Maybe I missed it but I have never seen you say anything good about SP and plenty of bad things including this post. Is it sarcasm?

You would get allot more street cred., at least from me, if your were a proud Apex owner.  

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #9,240 of 25,262

Do you mind me asking why your a "proud" SP owner? Maybe I missed it but I have never seen you say anything good about SP and plenty of bad things including this post. Is it sarcasm?

You would get allot more street cred., at least from me, if your were a proud Apex owner.  

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Kevin Gilmore has designed and built more TOTL amps than you have taken bowel movements in your short life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back