The Stax Thread III
Jul 16, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #9,242 of 25,560
  I was in the same situation 3 years back. What I did was buy the 007s and a used 717 Stax amp. The 717 is better sounding than the stock 727 or 007T or 323. Or go for the 009s and have that sorted. Then when you get chance to hear other non Stax amps decide whether you want to take that next step. IMO the current 007A (not the earlier 007 MK2 and the 009 are way ahead of the other Lambda based units, so going for the full size over ear 007A and 009 gets you one the right path sonically.

I would not spend the full list on a new Stax amp.

Thank you

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #9,243 of 25,560
Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Kevin Gilmore has designed and built more TOTL amps than you have taken bowel movements in your short life!

Yeah so what. What is your point? I'm just curious why he is a proud owner when he goes out of his way to say bad things about them. Pretty legit question and he does not have to answer if he does not want to. Glad I could make you laugh chukles.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #9,245 of 25,560
Yeah so what. What is your point? I'm just curious why he is a proud owner when he goes out of his way to say bad things about them. Pretty legit question and he does not have to answer if he does not want to. Glad I could make you laugh chukles.

My point was to ridicule your questioning of Kevin's "street cred". That's as ******* ignorant as some pathetic Millennial demanding Buzz Aldrin defend that he actually did walk on the moon 47 years ago. :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9,246 of 25,560
My point was to ridicule your questioning of Kevin's "street cred". That's as ******* ignorant as some pathetic Millennial demanding Buzz Aldrin defend that he actually did walk on the moon 47 years ago.
rolleyes.gif

I wasn't really questioning Kevin's street cred. My question was why give SP props.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #9,248 of 25,560
I have an old amp on the way.
The outside will need fresh paint.
Might as well clean the dust and debris out of the inside while I have the cover off.
How long do the cap's hold power for in the old Stax amps?
Hours? Days? Until it's discharged???

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #9,249 of 25,560
Might as well clean the dust and debris out of the inside while I have the cover off.

I don't know if Stax put bleed down resistors in their circuits, but suggest you use a DVM to first test the PS caps to be sure before you dig into the amp.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #9,251 of 25,560

THIS ^^

They need to do that, because nobody buys Stax in Europe (5000€ for SR-009).
They've been fixing the prices with the L500 and L700 and SRM-353X, price is more or less the same than in Japan but the rest of the products are twice the price.

For that price, take a trip to the US, get them for ~$3300 on amazon/ebay, and enjoy NY, Chicago, SF, Portland...

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #9,252 of 25,560

I don't know if Stax put bleed down resistors in their circuits, but suggest you use a DVM to first test the PS caps to be sure before you dig into the amp.

AND the BIAS pin ... 

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #9,254 of 25,560

For that price, take a trip to the US, get them for ~$3300 on amazon/ebay, and enjoy NY, Chicago, SF, Portland...

Yeah, I understand what's your point and is completely valid, but what I tried to say is that is always difficult to buy Stax at a "fair price", they need a more conventional sales method and pricing, like Sennheiser for example, HD800S costs more or less the same in every part of the world.
My english is not perfect and I use posting in forums or watching movies to improve it, so I understand that sometimes is difficult to understand what I write.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #9,255 of 25,560

Yeah, I understand what's your point and is completely valid, but what I tried to say is that is always difficult to buy Stax at a "fair price", they need a more conventional sales method and pricing, like Sennheiser for example, HD800S costs more or less the same in every part of the world.
My english is not perfect and I use posting in forums or watching movies to improve it, so I understand that sometimes is difficult to understand what I write.

Cheers to you for a great effort

i speak only English , and your Englisk reads as well as mine mate 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back