The Stax Thread III
Jul 20, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #9,287 of 25,570
The normal bias Lambda may not work with the amp he's already got. Which amp do you have, Spork67?
He's got an SRM-1 MK2 pro which will definitely work with a lambda NB.

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,288 of 25,570

I think it's  lot more than that. Each time I search for the EL34 metal NOS, it's like $600 a pop (coming up to $2400 for 4) - matched though, naturally.

:frowning2:(

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9,289 of 25,570
How are the people making out who ordered/e-mailed from PJ within the past month or so?  

Has PJ shipped/responded since?

I ordered L700/353X on June 16. No email response. No products received. Their fax seems to be disconnected. I payed by bank wire, so I'm getting really worried.
When I emailed them in February regarding Stax spare parts they responded within 24 hours.
The prices on their website haven't been updated for a while, although the latest update on the Korean language section was on June 25.
Has PJ been known to ship orders without sending shipping confirmation email?

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #9,292 of 25,570
plektret said:
I made an enquiry on availability and pricing by email twice in the last 2 weeks but no reply.

I ordered L700/353X on June 16. No email response. No products received. Their fax seems to be disconnected. I payed by bank wire, so I'm getting really worried.
When I emailed them in February regarding Stax spare parts they responded within 24 hours.
The prices on their website haven't been updated for a while, although the latest update on the Korean language section was on June 25.

Sorry to hear this, I thought for sure you both would have heard something by now. 
Not in my experience, they've always e-mailed a shipping confirmation.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #9,293 of 25,570
Jul 20, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #9,294 of 25,570

Yes, what you read was speculation before the amp was finalized. Since built units have been out, nobody who's heard one has been saying that the Carbon is specifically matched to the 009. Nobody. It takes both the 007 Mk I and 009 to the next level until you take it even further (e.g. maybe BHSE and DIY T2). The 007 certainly scales beyond the capabilities of a KGSShv (though yes, that pairing sounds very good), and any reasonable listening session with a Carbon, BHSE, or DIY T2 will make that quite clear. Your setup doesn't qualify for summit-fi "end game", and neither does mine for that matter. I think hearing a 007 Mk I w/ BHSE would be an eye opener for you.

I'm pretty sure that I read a fellow Pavane owner state that the Carbon was night and day better with the 009 over the kgsshv. I think nobody is a stretch.

I get where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree. To me once you hit $5k for your amp and headphone, which is around what I paid for my kgsshv/007mk1, it becomes very much in the ears of the beholder as far as a summit fi end game is concerned. I demoed the Abyss on a very expensive amp for example and owned a he-1k and tried it out on amps more expensive than my kgsshv. I still thought that the hd800 and 007mk1 were better and there is not much arguing that the abyss and he1k setups I listened to qualified financially speaking for summit fi "end game".  I would also take the 007mk1 over the 009 as far as comfort goes.

Just me but $5k for a headphone and amp is allot of monies. Maybe chump change for speaker guys but headphones yeah I'd say it's summit-fi endgame territory or if not at least very close.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #9,295 of 25,570
Thanks for the suggestions.
Looks like several new STAX within (the higher end of) my budget, if I buy from overseas.
PJ probably best prices - but nervous about the reliability from a few posts in this thread.
Is there anywhere else to buy from without getting slugged with what I assume is the distributors markup in Australia?
Of course I'm keeping an eye on  evilbay for a decent older set - but they don't seem to come up very often.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #9,296 of 25,570
FromJapan has proven fine in my experience.

I can't recommend the L300.  It's way too bright/forward up top for me and lacking mid-low to lows, even out of a serious amp.  I do recommend the Lambda 404 Signature.  Sounded great out of both an 006T and my KGSSHV Carbon.

HS

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #9,297 of 25,570

How are the people making out who ordered/e-mailed from PJ within the past month or so?  
  Has PJ shipped/responded since?

Whois data:

Registrant Contact

Name: Jinsung Kwon 

Organization:

Mailing Address: 4-6-11, Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 113003 KR 

Phone: +82.238163237

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9,298 of 25,570
What is so special about Price Japan anyway....it is just a proxy service for specific goods.  All he does is take best pricing he finds on rakuten/amazon.co.jp etc (using kakaku.com).  I've been using my personal friend for years as a proxy in Japan (I visit regularly but when I'm away) and he has a service also that's probably 100x better in communication (from these kind of feedbacks) and could possibly work out lower rates:

http://proxy.kolektakon.com/

He's been doing various goods for over 5 years now with nothing but glowing feedback.  I suggest you guys look into this if you guys want not only STAX gear but anything from Japan that won't ship internationally.  You want someone experienced in packaging and proxying with good communication to handle your goods...PJ does not sound like it.....oh right, he also did proxy my SR-009 as a FYI.  =)  His name is Hiromi and he's in Machida.  Good luck gents.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #9,299 of 25,570
Hiromi is a girl's name though @sensui123.

About the registered address for PJ (website?), it's pretty weird: korean number and country code in the phone number but the rest of the address is actually for japan.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #9,300 of 25,570
Hiromi is a girl's name though @sensui123.

About the registered address for PJ (website?), it's pretty weird: korean number and country code in the phone number but the rest of the address is actually for japan.

Arnaud, you are correct.  It can be a girl's name.  It actually is a unisex name in Japan though much like Toshi.  He's a guy I've known since we hung out together in West LA when my wife and I were just dating 13 years back.  I do have to make a correction though, he used to live in Machida but is now in Nakameguro....still Tokyo anyway and is a very convenient guy to know for proxy service in Japan as we know everything popular lands in Tokyo one way or another in the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back