The Stax Thread III
Feb 1, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4,411 of 25,660
I guess I can make a small rant: customer is supposedly king in Japan however, the vendors are unbelievably protected:
- No return policy, sales are final, defective products replaced under warranty no return (although amazon japan manages to work around this, I guess by selling open box after taking product back)
- Typically 1 year warranty no more (for a headphone costing multiple thousands of dollar, that got to make one anxious a bit)

arnaud

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,412 of 25,660
Hi David
I am glad you are pleased with the new 003s. I fancy getting the 507s as a second set to use in the UK when I visit, along with my old Stax amp and my Metrum Octave DAC. Hooked up to a PowerBook Pro it is a small in house system.

As I've mentioned Julian, I mainly got the 003's to use when it gets hot in the UK, but because I'm so impressed I'll be using them all year round.
I'm using them with my BHSE so I don't know how they'd sound with a Stax amp, but with you having a KGSSHV ( which imo is an excellent amp ) and living in Spain, it would be a very good idea for you to try them out with your KGSSHV.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,413 of 25,660
  I guess I can make a small rant: customer is supposedly king in Japan however, the vendors are unbelievably protected:
- No return policy, sales are final, defective products replaced under warranty no return (although amazon japan manages to work around this, I guess by selling open box after taking product back)
- Typically 1 year warranty no more (for a headphone costing multiple thousands of dollar, that got to make one anxious a bit)

arnaud

Small?? Small? That's one of my biggest pet peeve living here in Japan! There is also no "try before you buy". One clarification about return though, some shops do allow you to return assuming you've not opened it up (i.e. still shrink wrapped) and return was done within a week but they do a lot of questioning before accepting the returns (e.g. did the sales guy gave incorrect information that eventually lead to the sale).

Feb 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #4,414 of 25,660

It is 12 months in Japan actually for the SR009. Interesting the Europe dealers managed to get this x 3.

All electrical goods beyond a certain value in the EU have to have 24 months warranty. The UK was 12 months, but had to abide by EU regulation.

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #4,415 of 25,660
I think that  the isolation effects of the 003 are underated.  I have used the 003 for years in bed while my wife sleeps and never a complaint, so they don' t blast that much sound.  Also I take the portable rig to the beach and don t find the surf noise a problem. However they do not keep out the noise sufficiently when I travel by plane.  

You might want to.look into my simple damping mod for these phones that I have reported in another thread.  A bit of 1 mm sorbothane makes these phones a good deal better.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-and-sr003

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #4,419 of 25,660
  Just for your interest my second build of KGST with blue lighting.
If anyone wants to try building one I have posted some parts for sale.

BTW the KGST sounds great with Stax 007 particularly Mk1, and fantastic with 009.

Beautiful!

biggrin.gif

HS

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,421 of 25,660

BTW the KGST sounds great with Stax 007 particularly Mk1, and fantastic with 009.

Beautiful; .... If only I could have one to make use of what is for now just an expensive piece of home decoration, my SR-009 :wink:

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4,423 of 25,660

Beautiful work as always, Geoff. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4,424 of 25,660
I recently purchased a Stax SR-34 setup and hooked it up to my Receiver at home, The sound is very muffled, like the mids are taking over all of the sound. I am thinking the culprit is the fact that I do not think I have a great amplifier, my setup it a Technics SU-V4 I have all of the specs, just not sure what counts. it reads 20hz-20khz 2x60W @ 4 ohms   2x65W @ 8 Ohms 0.02THD  . I know these headphones must sound better than this, what do I need to look for in my amp, or is there some more info you need to determine if it's my amp causing the issue?

Thanks

James

Feb 5, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #4,425 of 25,660
I would check the Stax with another amp to see if the problem is really with the amp. If the Stax still sound off then there is an issue with them. Are these the electret model, because if so the bias on the diaphragms could have gone off. I have seen some discussion of this but don' t recall what the solution may be. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back