The Stax Thread III
Jan 30, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #4,396 of 25,645
I received the SR-003mk2's yesterday which I got from PriceJapan, and although I'm using them with my BHSE / K-01, they are the best valued phones I've ever heard.
Like cucera mentioned about the 003's, the soundstage is smaller than the 009's, but for what they cost me I find the SQ is incredible.

That's an interesting option for me at work. Stax has spoiled me, dynamic cans just aren't the same. 

Can you tell me, how isolating are they, can people around you hear them? Also do they go in the ear, or sit outside somewhat? 

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4,397 of 25,645
I received the SR-003mk2's yesterday which I got from PriceJapan, and although I'm using them with my BHSE / K-01, they are the best valued phones I've ever heard.

Like cucera mentioned about the 003's, the soundstage is smaller than the 009's, but for what they cost me I find the SQ is incredible.

That's an interesting option for me at work. Stax has spoiled me, dynamic cans just aren't the same. 

Can you tell me, how isolating are they, can people around you hear them? Also do they go in the ear, or sit outside somewhat? 

The 003's are open Earspeakers so there is no isolation, and I can hear the music from the side that doesn't fit in the ear, ( obviously when I don't have them in my ears ) so I'm sure someone else would be able to hear them while someone is listening to them.

They also fit in the ear canal, however in order to rest their ear tips on the end of the ear canal, the headband needs to be bent outwards.
I've tried that because I've no plans on using the headband, so if I'd have broken it I wouldn't have been bothered, but I didn't break it and found it's easy to bend back.

If you're after very good isolation, then IMO you need to look at a CIEM, although I have a CIEM and I find it has a closed SQ, whereas the SR-003mk2 has ( IMO ) an open SQ, which is another reason why I got one, just not as open as the 009's. ( IMO )

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #4,398 of 25,645
If you're after very good isolation, then IMO you need to look at a CIEM, although I have a CIEM and I find it has a closed SQ, whereas the SR-003mk2 has ( IMO ) an open SQ, which is another reason why I got one, just not as open as the 009's. ( IMO )

Thanks. I've got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro which are isolating (both for them and me!) and they sound pretty OK,  but as I said the Stax sound (or lack of it) is addicting. Ideally I'd want a closed ear cup form of the 407's, I'm not a fan of in ear phones. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,400 of 25,645
1 year.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,401 of 25,645
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I would like to go to Japan in May, for the World Kendo Championship... if I finish my work in time. According to the Japanese embassy's website (http://www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/English/visit/visa25062013.html), we don't need to apply for anything in advance to go to Japan as long as we hold a biometric passport that conforms to ICAO standards, i.e. a new-ish passport.

That's a new development. Shall have to check it out. Thanks for the info!

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #4,402 of 25,645
  I am thinking about purchasing the SR-009, but I cannot find any information about the warranty. How long is Stax warranty?

1 year BUT your UK statutory rights would be valid if they packed up within a reasonable time. I would say within 5 years given the price. Warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #4,403 of 25,645
Is the channel imbalance problem still a current issue?

I imagine that a lot of 009 were sold in the USA this year when they were discounted in Nov/Dec by Stax USA. I know they had some in stock, but ended up back ordered. Mine arrived just before Christmas and still had that new leather smell. I've had no problems at all. That is just one experience, but I don't see any recent posts by anyone complaining about channel imbalance on new 009s. Maybe the problem has been solved?

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,404 of 25,645

I imagine that a lot of 009 were sold in the USA this year when they were discounted in Nov/Dec by Stax USA. I know they had some in stock, but ended up back ordered. Mine arrived just before Christmas and still had that new leather smell. I've had no problems at all. That is just one experience, but I don't see any recent posts by anyone complaining about channel imbalance on new 009s. Maybe the problem has been solved?

IMO the problem was always a few cases. The cases that cropped up with buyers from dealers got sorted on the quiet. We hear on this forum more about the cases with grey imports as that cash be problematic to sort out. I know 5 users who have had the 009s for more than 3 years and are heavy users, with no issues. Mine are ok too after 6 months use. Buy from a dealer and you will be ok. The problem if it does crop up seems to happen in a week from new.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #4,405 of 25,645

1 year BUT your UK statutory rights would be valid if they packed up within a reasonable time. I would say within 5 years given the price. Warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Wrong. The UK warranty is 24 months. I got a verbal promise from Synergy that they would honour 36 months. If there was an imbalance issue, it usually happens in a week from new. So as long as it works fine after say 4 weeks, should be good for years as long as you look after them. BTW it has to be used on a Stax amp only, so if you had to claim and you had a BHSE (for example) you would need to be quiet about that...

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #4,406 of 25,645
Hi David
I am glad you are pleased with the new 003s. I fancy getting the 507s as a second set to use in the UK when I visit, along with my old Stax amp and my Metrum Octave DAC. Hooked up to a PowerBook Pro it is a small in house system.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4,407 of 25,645
Thanks. I've got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro which are isolating (both for them and me!) and they sound pretty OK,  but as I said the Stax sound (or lack of it) is addicting. Ideally I'd want a closed ear cup form of the 407's, I'm not a fan of in ear phones. 

Stax did a closed Earspeaker called the 4070, but I believe they stopped making them.
I've also never heard them so I don't know what their isolation is like or SQ.

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,408 of 25,645

IMO the problem was always a few cases. The cases that cropped up with buyers from dealers got sorted on the quiet. We hear on this forum more about the cases with grey imports as that cash be problematic to sort out. I know 5 users who have had the 009s for more than 3 years and are heavy users, with no issues. Mine are ok too after 6 months use. Buy from a dealer and you will be ok. The problem if it does crop up seems to happen in a week from new.

I seem to recall when the channel imbalance first came up 3-4 years ago, that PJ said they would send headphones back to STAX if warranty repairs were needed.  I assume they would do the same thing for buyers to get out of warranty repairs done as well.   

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #4,409 of 25,645
  Wrong. The UK warranty is 24 months. I got a verbal promise from Synergy that they would honour 36 months. If there was an imbalance issue, it usually happens in a week from new. So as long as it works fine after say 4 weeks, should be good for years as long as you look after them. BTW it has to be used on a Stax amp only, so if you had to claim and you had a BHSE (for example) you would need to be quiet about that...

It is 12 months in Japan actually for the SR009. Interesting the Europe dealers managed to get this x 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back