The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #587 of 1,866
@Petyot "TC Electronique BMC-2" - cool DAC!

Yes, this is a cool little DAC. Not very expansive, a bit old, but still doing his job perfectly (for my hears...). I haven't compare it with more expansive DAC so I have no idea what I am missing (if anything...) but I do love the sound coming out of that combo.

I have a few pro audio shops not too far from my home so I might try to rent a high end DAC for a day or two to see if I am missing something with the BMC-2 (my suspicion is that I will hear no differences).

May 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #588 of 1,866
Yes, this is a cool little DAC. Not very expansive, a bit old, but still doing his job perfectly (for my hears...). I haven't compare it with more expansive DAC so I have no idea what I am missing (if anything...) but I do love the sound coming out of that combo.

I have a few pro audio shops not too far from my home so I might try to rent a high end DAC for a day or two to see if I am missing something with the BMC-2 (my suspicion is that I will hear no differences).
For the moment I have a Mojo as source for my SRM-007II. It sounds VERY good but I'm looking for a good balanced DAC. I have also a Marantz SA8005 SACD/CD/DAC in for Warranty repair, and I think I will use that when I get it back instead of the Mojo (my Stax setup is new). I'm still looking for a balanced pure DAC option.

May 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #589 of 1,866
My experience is almost limited to pro audio dac... Except for the Jotunheim with the DAC module that I had for a few weeks. In my opinion, the "BMC-2 + Jotunheim" combo was MUCH better than the Jotunheim with his internal Dac module!

I also have a Presonus Central station in another system in my house and the DAC section is very good too.

My next DAC (IF I decide to upgrade) might be the RME Adi-2 pro. I think that you get more per dollars in pro audio...

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #592 of 1,866
Hi my sister is in Tokyo and a bit in Kyoto, but she can't find a shop to buy a nice taxfree sr-L 700. Does anyone know where to go in Japan?
Fujiya in Nakano, (4 stops from Shinjuku) should be able to do duty free if she brings her passport.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #597 of 1,866
The thread has been really helpful so far, so thanks everyone. I have been warming up for L700 for sometime now, and took them for a spin from my local distributor. I had the pleasure to enjoy this exquisite pair for almost two weeks, and boy am I pleased. I did accompany them with both the new 353x and the 006Ts amp. I could not believe that I could hear such differences between them, but still I did. In this short period of time of listening to both of the amps, the 353X was easily the superior one as to many characteristics.
My personal opinion is that the srm-006Ts sets the L700's virtues back, by rolling off the highs and by being hesitant and less controlling in the lows. However it distinctly offered a wider stage than the 353X.
The 353X seemed energetic, consistently clearer, airier, punchier and full bodied across the range. Lows were really articulate, quick and defined, medium highs and highs had a sparkle, not an overwhelming one, but crisp and clear. I have to point out that L700 with the 353X as a combo are less forgiving as to file and recording quality. I will keep you informed as long as I pull the trigger, and come back with a more complete overview. Trying to decide if I need to change my DAC or stay for a little while with my current (FYI its an IFI micro iDSD).

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #598 of 1,866
The thread has been really helpful so far, so thanks everyone. I have been warming up for L700 for sometime now, and took them for a spin from my local distributor. I had the pleasure to enjoy this exquisite pair for almost two weeks, and boy am I pleased. I did accompany them with both the new 353x and the 006Ts amp. I could not believe that I could hear such differences between them, but still I did. In this short period of time of listening to both of the amps, the 353X was easily the superior one as to many characteristics.
My personal opinion is that the srm-006Ts sets the L700's virtues back, by rolling off the highs and by being hesitant and less controlling in the lows. However it distinctly offered a wider stage than the 353X.
The 353X seemed energetic, consistently clearer, airier, punchier and full bodied across the range. Lows were really articulate, quick and defined, medium highs and highs had a sparkle, not an overwhelming one, but crisp and clear. I have to point out that L700 with the 353X as a combo are less forgiving as to file and recording quality. I will keep you informed as long as I pull the trigger, and come back with a more complete overview. Trying to decide if I need to change my DAC or stay for a little while with my current (FYI its an IFI micro iDSD).
Wow, you are VERY fortunate that you are able to give them such a thorough audition! Few people get that opportunity, for sure.

I'm happy with my L700, and have a new 353X incoming to drive them. Seems the combo to have :)

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #599 of 1,866
I really can not say why is this so, but I think that 353x as the latest one, generation wise, seems to get the hang of them really well. Maybe others with experience of 007 and 727 amp could tell if they are worth of their asking price and maybe some performance hints with latest L series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back