The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #602 of 1,866
New Review for L500 and L700

Sound Demo L700

Sound Demo L500

That's my pair of L700 :)

It was worth being without them for months while Z reviewed them, to let others get an idea of what they sound like. I hope it helps someone out who's trying to decide whether to purchase them or not :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #604 of 1,866
That z review guy isn't consistent at all, I bought a LCD X because of his review, thought the details and the soundstage were too underwhelming for the price.I waited for 30 mins to find out what makes them good but the whole review was basically him saying "Lambdas are the greatest headphones ever","other headphones are mediocre". He didn't even include the reasonings for his opinion.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #605 of 1,866
I've watched plenty of Z's videos from time to time. They are generally nice, and as to get an opinion and a "feeling" among many others. What I really do not like is using a superlative degree as to critic. Surely as people test them, with time will mention good qualities that will probably help others too form an opinion. However although there may be qualities undisputed and even measured, the final judge can only be your ears.
After having the L700 for this short period of time, I feel they are something special, worth investigating and hearing for one's self.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #606 of 1,866
I've watched plenty of Z's videos from time to time. They are generally nice, and as to get an opinion and a "feeling" among many others. What I really do not like is using a superlative degree as to critic. Surely as people test them, with time will mention good qualities that will probably help others too form an opinion. However although there may be qualities undisputed and even measured, the final judge can only be your ears.
After having the L700 for this short period of time, I feel they are something special, worth investigating and hearing for one's self.
I am not saying that L700 is a bad headphones, but it is clearly known that 009 and 007 are much harder to drive and require High end amps/DAC to sound good.I just find that guy ignorant and farther from the reality.And not to mention that their isn't one factual statements in his videos (like frequency response, imaging, resolution) and he even preferred l300 (which I found too bright and congested) to 007 or 009.Imo he considers his opinions as facts, and I don't like how some people consider him some kind of audiophile hero or whatever. But that's just my opinion. YouTube remains as cancerous as ever.I just don't take YouTube reviews seriously anymore especially not of electrostatic headphones, because even an amp/dac can make a night and day difference.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #607 of 1,866
I agree that some "hard" evidence can surely strengthen ones opinion. Without having listened any of the omegas, I would like to point out that both drivers have a few years already on their back (SR-009 2011 / SR-007Mk2 2007). My point here is that apart from anyones opinion, it would not be impossible that a newer driver to outperform even reference ones of a decade back. Just be open to new aural experiences, maybe they can stack up against the big boys! It would be nice to have a few more comparative opinions from people who have experiences with either of the omegas and the 700's

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #608 of 1,866
Many people like purk,mulveiling and others that I have forgotten the name of have already compared l700 to the omegas, they clearly prefer the omegas in this thread alone (look at the earlier pages) let alone the Stax thread.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #609 of 1,866
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. His opinion is not wrong I can easily see someone preferng a cheaper headphone to a more expensive one.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #610 of 1,866
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. His opinion is not wrong I can easily see someone preferng a cheaper headphone to a more expensive one.
Opinions can be formed by ignorance as well and zeos' opinion is clearly formed by huge ignorance.To be honest I don't care about zeos, I just hate that his followers think that his reviews are accurate.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #611 of 1,866
He says in his review he listened to both 009 and 007. And he prefers l700. Thats is a perfectly valid thing to say. I have listned to a lcd-x and prefer modded d7000. No one can say im wrong.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #612 of 1,866
I didn't like LCD X anyway, my point is that it is clearly known that 009/007 require High end amps/dacs, as we know Stax amps clearly limit 009/007s, they are also much less forgiving so they need a good source. So the comparison is not fair from the beginning.Anyone can prefer any headphone over another but that's not my problem, I have seen people preferring hd 800 over the electrostatic headphones like 009/007/L700 BUT THEY AT LEAST have a valid/critical/constructive reason for their preference, If you want to compare/review headphones (or anything for that matter) then at least be critical or constructive about it, him being a popular reviewer should know that, but the only thing he says in his 009/l700 comparison is "SR 009 sounded ehhh", in his 007/207 comparison he said "007s sounded like headphones","007s lost what these Lambdas can do". Be honest , shouldn't Zeos be more critical/constructive/factual in reviews? Anyway I may end up buying l700 in January or February so there's that.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #613 of 1,866
Without having listened any of the omegas, I would like to point out that both drivers have a few years already on their back (SR-009 2011 / SR-007Mk2 2007). My point here is that apart from anyones opinion, it would not be impossible that a newer driver to outperform even reference ones of a decade back.

Well, according to Stax the L700 driver is based on the same membrane material as the 009, so it is newer but it is not newer technology. Furthermore, among the original Omega, the SR007 (aka Omega 2) and SR009, there are some who prefer, the first, some who prefer the second and some who prefer the third, so newer is not necessarily better. And as Thaudiophile says, most who have listened to the L700, SR007 and SR009 find the latter two superior to the former.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #614 of 1,866
Just to be clear, I am not making an argument, or try to take a stand for anyone. Just sharing some thoughts, as the L700 both sonically and pricewise seem as a real value for money. Reference models are made to set standards and proportionally cost as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back