The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,141 of 2,080

Quote:
Tbh, I have been listening to my K501 and FA-003 more.. but that is mainly because I am waiting for Sennheiser to send me the 600 grills before I really give them a thorough listen vs. it's competition. Already have the 650 cord on it.

I doubt you'll be able to hear any difference. I couldn't.  But I can sooo understand listening to the K501. I've never heard them myself but they are by all reports fantastic cans.

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #1,142 of 2,080

Quote:
Tbh, I have been listening to my K501 and FA-003 more.. but that is mainly because I am waiting for Sennheiser to send me the 600 grills before I really give them a thorough listen vs. it's competition. Already have the 650 cord on it.

Did you manage to order the grills from Sennheiser?
They dont seem to be listed on their website anymore

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,143 of 2,080
For some reason you have to call them to order that specific item. I ordered mine early January and have made a few follow-up calls with no sign of them yet :/

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,144 of 2,080
I have just bought the Onkyo TX-SR508 A/V receiver.I previously had the Harmon Kardon AVR 20 II receiver.But when i paired it up with my HD580s.I had some clipping at high levels especially when the bass was high.With the Onkyo.The HD580s sound fantastic and appear to sound like an almost different headphone,but in a great way.Paired with the Onkyo the HD580s got full,extended,bass impact i never thought can be obtained with these headphones.Along with an even better sound stage and overall sound quality sure to please any owner without any fatigue.Power is plenty and ample thanks to the high current "WRAT" amplifier technology it is equipped with.I provide this information for those looking for an amplifier/home theater receiver that brings the HD580s to a new level and provides the amplification the HD580s need to really shine.I highly suggest to those intrigued.To go to an store which carries this model and bring your HD580s along with your iPod and hear what i'm talking about.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,145 of 2,080
Do you know if the Onkyo powers its HP jack from the speaker outlets or has a separate amp? I experienced a similar sort of improvement with my 650s when I bought an Onkyo 9555 integrated, but it uses a separate amp based on the 5532 op amp. This same amp seems to be used in all Onkyo amps above a certain price point, but it may be that that price point is lower than I thought as your receiver is a relatively cheap one. If so, and given that this same amp was favourable compared a couple of years back with an $800 dedicated amp, we may have to sound the Bargain Alert.  

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #1,148 of 2,080

Quote:
All receivers will have a separate amp for the headphone out

Powering them with the speaker amp portion is like connecting your headphones to the speaker outs, which will blow them 

Not sure I'm with you. By far the majority of stereo amps and receivers and possibly many HT receivers power the headphone jack from the power amp through resistors--that's a given. Only a very few top end amps use a separate HP amp. My 9555 integrated has to use one as it's Class D--but don't ask for the technicalities involved. What I was asking Nirvana was whether his receiver uses resistors from the main amp or a separate HP amp. as the improvements he was describing with his TX-SR508 sound suspiciously like the improvement I experienced with my 9555, suggesting both amps might be using the same HP amp.  

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,149 of 2,080
Quote:
The hd580s are a reference headphone at an entry level price. After all of these years, there's still not a better value for a full sized headphone. And yes, no matter what others may say, the biggest improvement is "always" upgrading your headphones. 100.00 headphones always will sound like 100.00 headphones. A 1,000.00 amp wont make them sound like 1000.00 headphones.

Well... at least for me with my set ups... the "new version" HD580's (de-veiled with HD600 mods and RAL Cryo-silver cable) do indeed sound like $1,000 headphones - virtually as good as the Stax SR-507's, and even the SR-007 MKII's. 

It's all about making sure you have the "new version" driven by a well matched source and amp. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #1,150 of 2,080
Your HD580 sounds as good as the SR-507?
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #1,151 of 2,080

Quote:
Well... at least for me with my set ups... the "new version" HD580's (de-veiled with HD600 mods and RAL Cryo-silver cable) do indeed sound like $1,000 headphones - virtually as good as the Stax SR-507's, and even the SR-007 MKII's. 

It's all about making sure you have the "new version" driven by a well matched source and amp. 

I think you quoted me out of context. The 100.00 headphones I was referring to were not the 580. They were a cheap budget headphone. I was making the case for that poster not to upgrade to a higher end amp without upgrading his headphones. The headphones I was pointing him to were the hd580s. And I've owned both versions of the hd580s, and hd600. They both sound the same. This is also confirmed by sennheiser. They said the only difference is the color of the driver surrounds which has nothing to do with the sound. It's the same fabric just a different color. So if you are going to quote me, at least get it right. I was not referring to the 580s when I was talking about 100.00 headphones. The 580s are not 100.00 headphones at all. I was making the case to upgrade to the hd580s. As far as sounding as good as the 507s? Well I don't know about that. I own the 407 and they are in a completely different league IMO. I still think the 580s are the best value in headphones. It's reference sound for around 200.00 or less(definitely not 100.00). And for the price, they just simply can't be beat.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #1,152 of 2,080
I did some research before buying it.I was down to Denon,Yamaha,and Onkyo.It seems that for a 7.1 home theater A/V receiver/amp under $400.That the TX-SR508 has the most features and value for the money.I'm not positive about the headphone output power.But It seems your answer seems most logical.The receiver has many many features.Too long and to many too list.The main features that i like the most so far.Is the "music optimizer".Which enhances compressed digital music files.The very clean and detailed sound,with huge sound staging especially heard with headphones.It has 192kHz/24 Bit Burr Brown DACs(PCM1690) for all channels.Jitter cleaning circuit technology.Optimum Volume Gain Circuitry,which allows you to enjoy the music at low volumes without losing any detail.It has a Bi Amping capability which allows you to send more power from the amp to the 2 front speakers.It has 5 HDMI 1.4a inputs with 'audio return".And supports 3D audio/video and everything else home theater related.The only thing it doesn't have which the higher priced models have is video upscaling.But it's not really important because all my video is already upconverted with my media streamer and PS3.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,154 of 2,080
Ah alright what you said makes sense. I was thinking of what you said as plugging in direct to the speaker outs

But I'm not sure how true it is that "most" receivers power the headphone outs through the same amp with the addition on resistors in the line
These 2 posts would probably explain what I believe to be true http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10445653#post10445653

Of course there's no real way to prove what design most receivers use, other than to open up a bunch of them lol 

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,155 of 2,080

Quote:
Ah alright what you said makes sense. I was thinking of what you said as plugging in direct to the speaker outs

But I'm not sure how true it is that "most" receivers power the headphone outs through the same amp with the addition on resistors in the line
These 2 posts would probably explain what I believe to be true http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10445653#post10445653

Of course there's no real way to prove what design most receivers use, other than to open up a bunch of them lol 

You'll notice that that thread is '07. In '08 there was an exhaustive thread that dealt with this very subject and in which one of the posters decided to contact as many manufacturers as he could to get the story from the horse's mouth. The overwhelming number of replies were that the HP jack is driven from the speaker amp through resistors, which of course is the cheapest way of doing it and the most logical. But I already knew that from having opened up dozens of receivers and integrateds during my Ebay trading days. That's why I used the phrase "a given". The old myth that HP jacks are driven from a 10c "afterthought" op amp is just that--a myth, though it seems to be absurdly hard to kill off. There is simply no reason for manufacturers to fit a separate dedicated HP amp circuit when they can just use a small resistor network to step down the main amp output. The exceptions are a few up market NAD amps and all the Cambridge Audio amps above the base 340 SE. Of course all pre-amps use a separate HP amp, but that's a different thing.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back