The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #1,007 of 2,080
I hear the woo audio 6 with pseudo dual power supply mod and sophia princess tube is the best match for hd600s. I assume since the 580s are similar that they will also be great for those

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #1,008 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this does not go into a fight...

but can you please explain how a cable can affect soundstage?

you DO realize that each wire is separate (left and right) and that there is no meaurable crosstalk in an amp-level wire?

freq response could possibly change (although I doubt anyone can tell the diff via a phones cable; maybe a line-level cable that is very very long but not a phones cable).

I'm willing to bet it really is the placebo effect here. there's no science behind 'soundstage'. soundstage is stereo separation and there is nothing to change that in a cable!

Soundstage is not only affected by separation. Remember two drivers separate left-right information, while soundstage deals with where the instruments are on a stage. This includes depth as well as height information. Frequency response plays a big role in creating the illusion of a realistic soundstage. Remember we hear things to be where they are in space because of how their frequency responses and time delays change. Our ears have a different frequency response when sounds are coming from different directions due to their shape. Read about HRTF. So when a headphone has a diffuse field equalized response for example, it will have a simulated speakerlike soundstage more than a freefield eq'd headphone for example...

Now, so far as a cable is concerned, placebo plays a part but the more ones ears are trained, we detect the differences in the sounds of cables very easily. The hd600s equinox cable for example makes a much bigger difference in how my hd600s sound than upgrading the interconnects. Don't know the technical explanation but the sound it gives is consistent to me and I'm pretty sure its not placebo.

Feb 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,009 of 2,080
finally replaced my pads and the cans sound SOOO much better. I didn't actually realize how bad they were!! LOL!

img3979ql7.jpg

img3980nf3.jpg

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #1,010 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally replaced my pads and the cans sound SOOO much better. I didn't actually realize how bad they were!! LOL!

img3979ql7.jpg

img3980nf3.jpg

I did that a while ago and it made a lot of difference. I also put on a 650 cable, too.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #1,011 of 2,080
I called Senn today for a set of HD600 grills (092815) and was quoted ~$12/ea (total shipped $30). They are also back-ordered till March, is that what they go for. I remember seeing postings of ~$4-6/ea.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #1,012 of 2,080
Hi,

can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement headband for the 580s? I bought them several years ago (no warranty) and the plastic headband recently cracked almost all the way through. I've had to use tape (!) to keep them together.

I tried that Australian site BigWharehouse Spare Parts, but they said they couldn't help me.

Any other options?

ps) RivieraRanch, I like that cushion that you have on your headband... it might even do to keep my cracked band together. Where did you buy that?

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #1,013 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement headband for the 580s? ... <snip> ... I tried that Australian site BigWharehouse Spare Parts, but they said they couldn't help me.

No problem ar all - get straight on to the Australian Sennheiser distributor who will be able to sell you any replacement parts you want - their contact details are HERE.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #1,016 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by kutje /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bought my 580's probably 6 years ago and still love them a lot. Only problem is that the plugs are too loose for a while now. Would a 650 cable make a difference you think? And a question about the earscushions..can only find them for 50 euro's..that's not cheap..someone knows where to get them cheaper? searched on ebay already..thanks!

I also have a very old set of 580s (purchased used) and the cable to headphone connection would cut out randomly. I recently purchased a couple of the 650 cables. One cable, I shortened and re-terminated with a 1/8 inch plug and the other I'm leaving stock. Anyway, the slightly thicker connector of the 650 cable fits the headphone perfectly and produces a more solid connection. It hasn't failed yet. And I've even sleep with the headphones on.

Now, I wish I had bought new earpads at the same time, I would have at least saved the shipping charge.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #1,017 of 2,080
Still - even at $160, the HD 580's are a bargain - simply one of the best set of cans still available - - - mod them with 600 grills and 650 cables and ya got one fine set of phones!

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #1,018 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wondering which desktop amp will be the best match for the HD580?

currently looking to add a desktop amp to my setup.

Regards,

Just love my Little Dot MK III andd Fubar II with my 580's - lots of possibilities with tube-rolling and opamp switching.

Feb 17, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #1,019 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wondering which desktop amp will be the best match for the HD580?

currently looking to add a desktop amp to my setup.

Regards,

Well, I drive my HD 580's with a Yamamoto HA-02, and am very happy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back