The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #916 of 2,080
Well I just got my 580s today and these are my first ever head-fi headphones and man are they awesome. I've only put a few hours on them but man do they sound great. I was wondering if you guys could describe how the sound changes after burning it in so I can take notice as its happens.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #917 of 2,080
If you listen during the whole burn-in, it is so gradual, that you probably will not be able to tell that it is happening, as you will get used to the latest sound as it chnages slightly over time.
The best way to notice burn-in, is to listen to the cans right out of the box, and then let them burn-in, and only pick them up to try a brief listen after several hours, or even days, for some cans.
That's when you can hear differences, if they occur with your particular can -- some cans have little change, but some have a LOT. All are different.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #918 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tb311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I just got my 580s today and these are my first ever head-fi headphones and man are they awesome. I've only put a few hours on them but man do they sound great. I was wondering if you guys could describe how the sound changes after burning it in so I can take notice as its happens.

Generally I tend to tell:

- New ... tones are strange, they not balanced.
- 50 hrs tones are correct and balance ok. But still lack presence, soundstage ...
- 100 hrs ... nuances are there and soundstage
- > 100 hrs ... I have nothing to say ... without have a reference at 100 hrs to be able to compare with.

When I have something, I begin to do serious test after 100 hrs ... anyway .. 200 hrs coming pretty fast.

Apr 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #919 of 2,080
Thanks for the info. I would leave them alone and just let them burn in but I cant seem to keep them off my head
580smile.gif

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #920 of 2,080
Well, I've been caught up in other signatures lately. Dually pulled in the more forward Audio-Technica (W5K, AD2K) sound, while simultaneously being introduced to electrostatics (which brought me dangerously close to selling off all dynamic gear). Anyway, both of my pairs of the HD580s have been collecting dust. In fact their last use was during a cold as they were the only phones not to give me a headache. Today after rearranging gear, I put them on again.

Man, I forgot how well these perform. I've been listening all morning, and a good chunk of that time with the un-Senn rep rock. I haven't heard The Pogues sound this good in a long time. Same for weighty female vocals like what's on at this moment - Shelby Lynne. Part of the magic is probably using a 2c51 driver tube in the Extreme (on loan from the ever kind Voltron), but I just want to pipe in and say even if other phones get more love lately, the HD580s are still real contenders. Everyone knows they're killer bang for buck (when you can now find them), but even aside from price they give other top phones a challenge. They're going to be getting more time around here again.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #921 of 2,080
I have to admit that when I received my HD580s and began listening to them yesterday, I was truly less than impressed. I listened to snippets of several jazz and classical pieces and then A/B between the HD580 and K501. I liked the K501 better on almost every snippet of music.

Tonight I listened to Phantom of the Opera and have been listening to Diana Krall with the HD580s. Have to admit I have been enjoying them and have not felt the need to A/B with another hp. Could be I'm in a mellow mood and just enjoying the mellow presentation?

I'd have to say they are the most mellow/laid back presentation of the headphones I have. I'd also have to say the renowned Sennheiser veil is very real. Now I just have to give them an honest chance to show me what they can do and where they fit in.

I'll give them more time to see how I like them and where/if they fit in my small stable of headphones. I've always understood that they excel on jazz/classical. I'd say they do a credible job on female vocals as well. If I'm missing something please don't hesitate to educate me
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #922 of 2,080
Listening to the K501's and the SR225's for so long will definitely make the Senn's presentation sound very laid back, but it gets better. I also wasn't impressed when I first got them, but they got much better with burn in IMO. You may be experiencing the same thing I did.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #923 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to admit that when I received my HD580s and began listening to them yesterday, I was truly less than impressed. I listened to snippets of several jazz and classical pieces and then A/B between the HD580 and K501. I liked the K501 better on almost every snippet of music.

Tonight I listened to Phantom of the Opera and have been listening to Diana Krall with the HD580s. Have to admit I have been enjoying them and have not felt the need to A/B with another hp. Could be I'm in a mellow mood and just enjoying the mellow presentation?

I'd have to say they are the most mellow/laid back presentation of the headphones I have. I'd also have to say the renowned Sennheiser veil is very real. Now I just have to give them an honest chance to show me what they can do and where they fit in.

I'll give them more time to see how I like them and where/if they fit in my small stable of headphones. I've always understood that they excel on jazz/classical. I'd say they do a credible job on female vocals as well. If I'm missing something please don't hesitate to educate me
smily_headphones1.gif

You must have the "old' version, without any cable upgrade and without the HD600 screens. You'll also need a good source and amp.

When you have all that... you'll find they sound a lot like the SR225s.

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #924 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have the "old' version, without any cable upgrade and without the HD600 screens. You'll also need a good source and amp.

When you have all that... you'll find they sound a lot like the SR225s.

Source and amp are certainly not a problem. But the HD580s are stock and may be the "old" version. I know I'm at least the third owner. I'll give them time and perhaps they'll grow on me. Not like my other cans that pleased me immediately.

So a good suggestion. Before I spend more $$$ I think I would like to enjoy hearing them as is. Last night was pleasant. At the end of the week I may love them or hate em, but they'll get a good workout either way.

May 2, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #925 of 2,080
I've recently left the HD580 camp to join the HD595.

Used the 580's for about 5 years, powered by a Pioneer at first and a Denon amp later. Great cans, truly love them in every aspect but 1.

I don't know if it's just me on these boards, didn't read the entire thread, but my cable wears out every 10 months or so. It starts with the signal dropping occasionally on 1 side (no specific side), which tends to get worse until eventually the other side starts failing as well. Sometimes it can be 'helped' for a while by tilting my head a certain way... but honestly it was always insanely annoying when 'that time of the year' came again.
I use them at my desk, so their only abuse is putting them on and off, yet somehow the cable will always fail near the plugs(headphone end) around the 10~12 month mark. I buy/bought genuine Sennheiser cables only, but this 25€ a year subscription was starting to annoy me to no end. Alternative cables are generally more expensive and look equally weak near the plugs.
A couple of friends of mine also bought these headphones back in the days and they experience the same problem. I've tried multiple re-enforcing tricks, but to no result.
I've talked to several persons about it, yet none has a solution. Also looked into the HD6x0 cables, but they seem to be the same (apart from the coloring). I haven't had a chance to try the HD6x0 cable in person, so if someone can confirm this as either false or true that would be appreciated
wink.gif

I've got the HD595 for about 6 months now, which sound a bit different. Different, not necessarily better or worse. I don't want to post this as a '580' vs '595' sound-quality message, but the more robust cable on the '595' has given me more peace of mind so far, which definitely helps while listening. I've yet to see if it will outlast the 10~12month lifetime of the '580' cables, I'm simply assuming it will for now, for my own unconcerned and relax listening experience
smily_headphones1.gif

If not, I'll definitely post about it.

For now, my HD580's are shelved.

May 2, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #926 of 2,080
...oops, wrong place. Thought it was the HD590 Appreciation thread!

biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #927 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selachii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it's just me on these boards, didn't read the entire thread, but my cable wears out every 10 months or so. It starts with the signal dropping occasionally on 1 side (no specific side), which tends to get worse until eventually the other side starts failing as well. Sometimes it can be 'helped' for a while by tilting my head a certain way... but honestly it was always insanely annoying when 'that time of the year' came again ....

No it is not just you. The cables have a rep for failing. A lot of people go with the HD650 cable. Fits the 580 and is sturdier. That might solve your problem.

May 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #928 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No it is not just you. The cables have a rep for failing. A lot of people go with the HD650 cable. Fits the 580 and is sturdier. That might solve your problem.

the problem is well known, but it's not the cable itself, it's the springs in the headphone housing, that tends to loose with time

seems that Sennheiser has solved this problem with the hd650 (talking of the same type of plugs)

the "new" Senns (HD595 etc) have different plugs

May 2, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #929 of 2,080
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think the 580s compare favorably to the k-501s. I used to prefer my 501s over the 580s for almost everything but now I appreciate the differences between the two. Which headphone I choose now depends on what mood I am in.

Still if I could only have one it would be the k-501s. I love the 580s but I really think the k501s are severely underrated due to the lack of bass extension. Everything sounds veiled next to the 501s for me even my DR150s and the sr80s I just sold.

May 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #930 of 2,080
Quote:

Source and amp are certainly not a problem. But the HD580s are stock and may be the "old" version. I know I'm at least the third owner. I'll give them time and perhaps they'll grow on me. Not like my other cans that pleased me immediately.

So a good suggestion. Before I spend more $$$ I think I would like to enjoy hearing them as is. Last night was pleasant. At the end of the week I may love them or hate em, but they'll get a good workout either way.

You can tell whether "old" or "new" version quite easily. The "new" version has the white/silver metalic fabric covering the slots in the element housing. You can see it from the outside, through the screens - its the material that extends outward from the driver butt in the center. It's not the small circle of white felt material covering the driver butt.

The "new" version is quite a bit brighter.

There ya go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back