The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #646 of 2,080
I don't want to start a new thread, but how do I take the foam pads of the HD580? Mine need to be cleaned and I'm afraid I'll tear them if I use too much force.

As for my opinion on the HD580, mine have totally come to life with my new Cambrige 840c. The sound is just stunning.

Oct 9, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #647 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to start a new thread, but how do I take the foam pads of the HD580? Mine need to be cleaned and I'm afraid I'll tear them if I use too much force.

As for my opinion on the HD580, mine have totally come to life with my new Cambrige 840c. The sound is just stunning.

The manual helped me:
http://www.americanmusical.com/manua...580_manual.pdf

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #648 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
falling myth of 'dark' HD580 sound?
biggrin.gif

yeah HD580 are really great - It seems you are quite impressed although you've got some great stuff up there - RS1, DT990, DT880, SR325i - Where would you place HD580 if you took pure quality into account?

They are all so different that it isnt really good idea to compare, except against DT880 '03. These cans aim for the same thing, yet they do it differently (Beyer vs. Sennheiser). Imo, they are quite equal in quality, and which one is preferred depends on taste. DT880 shined with its clarity, HD580 is good with its even attidute.

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #649 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eokboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The manual helped me:
http://www.americanmusical.com/manua...580_manual.pdf

Thanks for that. From the pics it looks like I just have to rip them off. Not feeling too confident about this so I think I'll leave it until I absolutely have to clean them.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #651 of 2,080
They rip fine, just put your fingers underneath the fold of the pad and pull. Trust me, its tear-proof.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #652 of 2,080
Gotchya. It is pretty simple now I've done it. Thanks for the help!

Oct 11, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #653 of 2,080
Just got my first pair of 580's yesterday. Here are some of my early impressions, straight out of my MacBook with no amp:

- They're too bright. I'm having to EQ the treble down.

- Instrument separation is ridiculously good. I can hear every single instrument clearly. I'm blown away by this. These must be great for sound mixing.

I'm wondering if an amp might warm them up and take care of the brightness. Any thoughts?

Oct 11, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #654 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my first pair of 580's yesterday. Here are some of my early impressions, straight out of my MacBook with no amp:

- They're too bright. I'm having to EQ the treble down.

- Instrument separation is ridiculously good. I can hear every single instrument clearly. I'm blown away by this. These must be great for sound mixing.

I'm wondering if an amp might warm them up and take care of the brightness. Any thoughts?

I think the brightness is coming from the Macbook. Try using it with a proper amp and better source. This will really smooth the harsh brightness out.
580smile.gif

That is my experience with the combination Macbook -> HD580.
Have fun with it! The HD580 is really gorgeous.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #655 of 2,080
I just received a pair of modded HD580s today. Mint condition, even the headband had the clamp bite that new HD580s display/ed.

This is my second pair of HD580s. This one is modded with the HD600 grilles and the HD650 cable.
My oh my, they are such good looking headphones!! The grilles thing is above and beyond worth the cash. Totally transform the look of the headphone. Love it i tell ya!!

The HD580 is my favourite headphone to date but the new kid on the block, the DT770s is gaining fast with its awesome bass and would soon be challenging the HD580s for mroe headtime.
Till that happens, the HD580s are gonna rule unhindered!!

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #656 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a pair of modded HD580s today. Mint condition, even the headband had the clamp bite that new HD580s display/ed.

This is my second pair of HD580s. This one is modded with the HD600 grilles and the HD650 cable.
My oh my, they are such good looking headphones!! The grilles thing is above and beyond worth the cash. Totally transform the look of the headphone. Love it i tell ya!!

The HD580 is my favourite headphone to date but the new kid on the block, the DT770s is gaining fast with its awesome bass and would soon be challenging the HD580s for mroe headtime.

From what I've read, the DT770's 'awesome bass' is too awesome, and totally overpowers the mids and highs...

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #657 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, the DT770's 'awesome bass' is too awesome, and totally overpowers the mids and highs...

Not for the right kind of music its not. ACtually the highs are a tad shrill on some songs and the mids recessed. However, the bass makes up for this in spades. Its pure joy to actually be able to listen and feel(that's right) from a headphone!
I am real tempted to give the Darths a listen now.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #658 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So how is the sound of the modded 580s compared to your stock 580s???
580smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #659 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBPM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how is the sound of the modded 580s compared to your stock 580s???
580smile.gif

Haven't had a chance to compare them. The stock ones are at work.
frown.gif
Will do a comparison on Monday.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #660 of 2,080
Can you take some pics of the grills on the modded ones? I have been wanting to buy them, but wasnt sure if it was worth the money. Also, did you paint the headband?

Edit, nm, tons of pics on the first few pages of this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back