The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #2,057 of 2,080
I know there are several versions of this headphone but how can I find out which version I have?

20230730_024233-1.jpg

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #2,058 of 2,080
From earlier in this thread

"1st version: "HD 580" printed directly on the headphone; "Made in Germany" on the inside of the headband
2nd version: "HD 580" printed directly on the headphone; "Made in Ireland" on the inside of the headband
3rd version: Raised name plate; dark driver screen
4th version: Raised name plate; bright driver screen"

Jul 30, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #2,059 of 2,080
1st Version:

s-l1600-4.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

EDIT - Replaced the @dleblanc343's "joke" pics with hopefully REAL ones, taken from a REAL listing on eBay... Two of the other pics in that listing have the invoice attached, dated 06.07.95.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #2,060 of 2,080
1st Version:
HD580 Made in Germany 1st Version-outside writing.jpgHD580 Made in Germany 1st Version-inside writing.jpg
That Made in Germany photo was taken from me and a joke. (It was taken off my HE60 and put on my 580).

Interesting it found its way here!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #2,061 of 2,080
From earlier in this thread

"1st version: "HD 580" printed directly on the headphone; "Made in Germany" on the inside of the headband
2nd version: "HD 580" printed directly on the headphone; "Made in Ireland" on the inside of the headband
3rd version: Raised name plate; dark driver screen
4th version: Raised name plate; bright driver screen"
Thanks. I have the 4th version it seems :)

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #2,062 of 2,080
That Made in Germany photo was taken from me and a joke. (It was taken off my HE60 and put on my 580).

That's funny/strange, b/c thts like the only picture of the "German" version proof.

So I guess there are no pics of a REAL one then . XD

Though IIRC, it was confirmed by the creator, he has one of the early version 580 which is made in Germany.

There must be very few of them then, if not even a picture!

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,063 of 2,080

I'll solve you the mystery: At some point in my HPs journey I got curious and considered trying a Ver1. HD580 to compare with my 'Made in Ireland' ones. The 580s were my first cans, bought in the mid. 90s, much before Head-Fi and even HeadWize were born, and I always Kept a soft spot for them in my heart.

As expected, what I always do before I buy something is my homework, which includes multiple sources, eBay among others. Besides listings and prices, the sellers on eBay usually include pics of the items, some of them better, some of them less... When I find a listing with good and DETAILED pics of the item I might be interested in I save them to my computer, so with time I get a very good idea of what to look for - and especially how well kept ORIGINAL HPs should look, incl. ear pads, cables and so on. It's not so simple at all when we're dealing with vintage HPs, as you all know, but very rewarding in the end.

Regarding your "joke pics", they somehow found their way to my 'HD580-Ver1's eBay listing' folder, and from there to this thread, as part of the listing - my mistake and of course I edited my post accordingly.

Aug 1, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #2,064 of 2,080
That's funny/strange, b/c thts like the only picture of the "German" version proof.

So I guess there are no pics of a REAL one then . XD

Though IIRC, it was confirmed by the creator, he has one of the early version 580 which is made in Germany.

There must be very few of them then, if not even a picture!
Although I haven't seen a Ver1.HD580 with my own eyes, as you read in my answer to @dleblanc343 and can see in my edited post here, the eBay listing selling one looked very, very real, including the pics and the invoice; although there was no pic showing the inside labeling 'Made in Germany'...

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,065 of 2,080
Picassofish wrote about these earlier in this thread. From his description they sound similar to the Jubilee's, although they're probably subtly different. They are so rare hardly anyones ever heard them or has compared them to other headphones. I'm intrigued by these headphones (as well as the HD540 and HE60.)

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,066 of 2,080
Picassofish wrote about these earlier in this thread. From his description they sound similar to the Jubilee's, although they're probably subtly different. They are so rare hardly anyones ever heard them or has compared them to other headphones. I'm intrigued by these headphones (as well as the HD540 and HE60.)
IIRC, the OG 580 Jubilee (NOT the Drop 58x Jubilee) had an all carbon fiber body, which, I think, would make them sound different than the plastic ones. Certainly, from personal experience, just swapping out the plastic screens for 600/650 metal screens made a small but positive difference in clarity, detail and tonality. Imho.

YMMV, and all that.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,068 of 2,080
Still love my HD580s after 2 decades. What would people recommend as a decent amp when the source headphone socket is too low powered? eg Squeezebox

I use m Asgard 2 with my 580 when I am working from home. I imagine the Asgard 3 might match well. Ridiculous amount of power.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,070 of 2,080
Still love my HD580s after 2 decades. What would people recommend as a decent amp when the source headphone socket is too low powered? eg Squeezebox
I use my HD580s with either Schiit Vali 2++, or iFi ZEN Can, depending on my mood, and they both have no problem driving the 580s. Overall I prefer the Schiit amp, but that could be just personal taste.
The only other amp I have is a Schiit Magni 3, and that powers them well enough, but I find the sound a bit harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back