The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #586 of 2,089
I just bought my HD580 used and I love them! I've finally found my house sound. If I could nik-pik one thing that would be that they need just a tad more bass to really bring out that listening to speakers type feel. I have a feeling that the HD-650s would be my perfect cans. Can't wait to talk my wife into purchasing those, lol! Anyway, these HD-580s sound the most like my speaker setup. I spent probably 2 months EQing my speaker system to sound great with my room. No easy task with the boomy room nodes and the lively type reflexions. Great cans for the price, no doubt about it!

Oh and they sound really good straight from my Zune too!

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #589 of 2,089
I just got mine and now I have a moronic grin on my face while listening to them. Anyone know a solution for that?
580smile.gif

First impressions:
1. It just sounds clearly more refined than HD595, don't know how to qualify it yet, need more listening.

2. The the soundstage is really nice, better than HD595.

3. It puts a moronic smile on my face that I can't get off.
580smile.gif

4. It sounds great with my Xiang Sheng tube amp.

Aug 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #592 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love hd580 more than i do sr325i.
sure, theyre completely different phones but theres gotta be a reason why i use hd580 a lot more than sr325i.

I find that to my ears with my system that the MS2i and HD600 are a really good match. One just kinda blends into the other somewhere in the middle.

....sorta.

I guess I use the HD600 just a bit more than half-and-half.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #593 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love hd580 more than i do sr325i.
sure, theyre completely different phones but theres gotta be a reason why i use hd580 a lot more than sr325i.

The refined sound of the 580s allows you to sit back and enjoy the music much more than the upfront Grado sound. I upgraded from the 580 to the 600 and then the 650. I listen most often to the 650 and have sold the 600. I don't know if it's nostalgia but I still really enjoy my 580s.
580smile.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #594 of 2,089
Which do you guys thing would be a better complement to the 580s? The 650s or the Denon D2/5000s?

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #595 of 2,089
Ordered them off ebay about a week or two ago--new old stock for $179 shipped. I've had these since last Thursday and they have been running music continuously out of my Move powered by USB. They have also been largely on my head while I've been awake the last several days. The 580s sounded good out of the box, but I seem to be getting more and more addicted to their sound. They give me both clarity and an integration of midrange sound that i haven't heard before. Strings and voice are excellent; I am listening mostly to classical and small ensemble jazz.

I found them a little tight at first, but they have loosened up and are quite comfortable for long listening sessions. This is my first set of supra-aural open headphones and I like the open feeling. I am going to keep listening through these for another week or so without switching back to my Ety ER4S, and then do a comparo. The Etys have been my reference standard (no claim to audiophilia here, the Etys are just the best I have heard yet IMO).

BTW, my Move powers these nicely on high current and high gain from the USB power of my laptop which is my source. I notice no improvement in the sound when I switch to 9V battery (USB is 5V) so I don't seem to have voltage (or current) limitations with this combination even under USB power. My usual volume setting is between 11 and 12 o'clock.

Alan

P.S. If you want to show off these headphones listen to a cut from John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. It is not a modern recording, but the mellowness and style of these two guys really matches up with the 580s.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #596 of 2,089
I don't know what to say that has not already been said in the many posts on the thread, except that I really like my 580s. I have been using a pair of Azden DM-90 cans for many years. Mostly when I traveled to listen to DVD movies on my laptop. I recent ly got bitten by the headphone bug.

Now I have SR80, SR125, Hd280, HD580 (2), PX-100, CX300, KSC75 and some Koss, Sony, Maxell lower end IEMs.

I got a set of 580s from Ebay new and immediately ordered the 600 grills the 650 cable. I then picked up another pair with the Equinox cable. This has all been within the last couple of weeks. I have not had time to actually sit down and listen critically for differences in the two sets of cans. I can say, that though I like the Grado cans for certain kinds of music and some sources, the ones I grab for long term listening are my 580s. I like the detail and sort of laid back nature of thes cans. The don't have the "in your face" sound of theGrados, but I find them much nicer to liesten to long term.

There is my testamonial. I just wish that they would not have discontinued these as I have already recommended them to several friends who then tell me they can't easily find them now.

Phil

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #597 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which do you guys thing would be a better complement to the 580s? The 650s or the Denon D2/5000s?

I got the Denons to go with my 580's, after trying the 650's twice.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #598 of 2,089
One other thing I did to my 580s. I added the DT 770 hedband cushion. I then took the stock cushion and put it on my SR80s. I don't think the DT 770 cushion is more comfortable, but it sure makes (with the HD600 grills) the cans look much better and is an alternative to (and lots easier than) stripping the paint. The Senn pad did improve the comfort of the Grados though, and combined with the Senn 414 ear pads, make them a joy to use long term.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone have any experience with using the 580s with either the MINI^3 or XP amps, or preferably both? I would like to hear about it. I want something in the way of an AMP that will adequately drive the HD580s but not break the bank (under $150 ).

Phil

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #599 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrake50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other thing I did to my 580s. I added the DT 770 hedband cushion. I then took the stock cushion and put it on my SR80s. I don't think the DT 770 cushion is more comfortable, but it sure makes (with the HD600 grills) the cans look much better and is an alternative to (and lots easier than) stripping the paint. The Senn pad did improve the comfort of the Grados though, and combined with the Senn 414 ear pads, make them a joy to use long term.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone have any experience with using the 580s with either the MINI^3 or XP amps, or preferably both? I would like to hear about it. I want something in the way of an AMP that will adequately drive the HD580s but not break the bank (under $150 ).

Phil

MisterX XP amp is a great way to go. I've never heard of the Mini though. I used my 580's with a C&C Box v2, and that was very good already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back