The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #601 of 2,089
I love my 580's too. Smooth, ultra-clean and detailed. They are a great match for tube amps, like my X-Cans V2 or the ASL I tried once. Anyone considering an ASL amp - A shop owner I know says they don't carry them anymore because they had one catch fire in the store.
I didn't know that they'd been discontinued, but I'm not surprised. I'm sure we still have many happy years together ahead of us...
These are the Senn's I'm happy with.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #603 of 2,089
Andrew,

I may not be too helpful here. I did not listen to the phones at all critically before I changed the grills. To be honest with you I bought them for the appearance change. I have to say that I did not notice any huge change when I changed the grills based on the limited listening before I changed them.

The cable I bought because it was more robust. I did some quick comparisons between the 650 cable and the Equinox and really did not detect any huge differences, if any. Now this was a half hour or so listening to a Sangean HD radio through an Adcom preamp phone output.

To be honest as my audio memory seems real short, having to swap cables makes it difficult for me to detect fine differences. It would be great if I could switch them quickly.

What is more apparent is the difference in the sound between my brand new (maybe 100 hours on them) HD580s and the ones I bought used. The used ones were used a lot over three years by a college student with an Earmax tube amp and the Equinox cables. These phones (maybe proving the burn in concept) have a difference with the new ones that is immediately apparent. They are just warmer overall. Talk about laid back. I need to listen more, I am not sure if the balance has just shifted towards the low end because there is more bass/lower midrange or that everything else has just smoothed way out. It does not sound like the used phones are damaged, just that the whole character is different.
BTW, they have the stock grills, but I am sure that this is not the reason for the difference. Interestingly, I like listening to both cans, but I use the new ones more (maybe just because I like the way they look with the new grills and DT 770 pad
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been real busy since I got these, I intend to sit and do some serious listening and try to better define my impressions when I get the time. If I hear something that I can easily communicate (cables, grills, new/old) I will write it up and post it here.

Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mandrake50 I'm interested in the changes the 650 grills and cable make. So please post your comments when you get the chance. Thanks...

Sep 6, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #604 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrake50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been real busy since I got these, I intend to sit and do some serious listening and try to better define my impressions when I get the time. If I hear something that I can easily communicate (cables, grills, new/old) I will write it up and post it here.

Phil

I understand about being busy. Just check back when you get the chance. I'm looking at the HD580's for my first set of "real" headphones.

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #605 of 2,089
Andrew,
Everybody has different tastes (?) in sound. I relly like the Senn sound (based on the similarities in the HD 280, Hd580, PX-100 CX300). IMHO if the screens and cable change the sound it is a minimal change not a huge difference. At that, everything I have read says these things enhance the sound (again in those writers opinions based upon their preferences). IN other words, don't wait to pick up some HD580 based on cable or screen changes extnsively altering the sound. If you like the sound of the Senns stock then modding them "should" make them that much better, but that it up to your ears. In any case, the mods are pretty cheap and totally reversible. First things first, get a pair and see if you like them. Then go from there. You will probably think they are fine (unless, like me you just don't like the way they "LOOK" stock
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I would like to ask for comments from others that have changed the screens and/or added the 650 cables. Do you find the differences that these changes made to be small qualitative, audiophile type, changes, or would you classify them as large "immediately noticable by a casual listener", type changes to the stock 580 sound?

Right now I am listening to the 580s with screen change, but stock cable (because I don't have a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter yet to work with the 1/8 out on my amps), and I am enjoying it greatly. I personally don't think you would be disappointed if you get the 580s and never do a thing to them.

Phil

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #607 of 2,089
"AMEN"
Except I don't think the screens hurt the sound, if they changed it at all. BUT they sure "LOOK" much better.
Phil

Sep 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #608 of 2,089
I just sold mine a week ago thinking I would be OK with just my 650s. I already regret it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #609 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrake50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I would like to ask for comments from others that have changed the screens and/or added the 650 cables. Do you find the differences that these changes made to be small qualitative, audiophile type, changes, or would you classify them as large "immediately noticable by a casual listener", type changes to the stock 580 sound?

Right now I am listening to the 580s with screen change, but stock cable (because I don't have a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter yet to work with the 1/8 out on my amps), and I am enjoying it greatly. I personally don't think you would be disappointed if you get the 580s and never do a thing to them.

Phil

I have purchased four pairs of 580's in the last few months or so and modded two pair (650 cables. 600 grilles and 770 headbands). I can hear absolutely no difference between the modded pairs and the stock pair. I even compared the stock pair with a pair with just a grille change and heard no difference. I even had one stock grille and one 600 grille at the same time and heard no difference. So I have a hard time believing anyone who reports huge differences. BTW, I did my tests semi-scientifically, with me "blind" and my wife switching out the cans (before the headband mod).

Would I ever go back to stock 580s? No way, I LOVE the way my modded ones look, feel and sound, and the whole mod package adds up to one sexy pair of cans.Am I deaf? No, I hear a HUGE difference between 580/600s and 650s while some people report not so great a difference.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #611 of 2,089
I actually had an opportunity to listen to the HD600 and HD650. I was able to use different sources and amps. My interest in the HD580 is due to financial reasons. Keeping in mind a dedicated amp may be needed to achieve the best sound. I did like how they sounded, very smooth and a huge soundstage. I far as the grills and replacement cable I would consider them just a tweak. I think too many people focus on minute details in sound. In my experience differences are often subtle and subjective.

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #612 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually had an opportunity to listen to the HD600 and HD650. I was able to use different sources and amps. My interest in the HD580 is due to financial reasons. Keeping in mind a dedicated amp may be needed to achieve the best sound. I did like how they sounded, very smooth and a huge soundstage. I far as the grills and replacement cable I would consider them just a tweak. I think too many people focus on minute details in sound. In my experience differences are often subtle and subjective.

If you think 580s have "a huge soundstage" and if you like that, you really should listen to some AKG 501s, 601s, or 701ss. They make the 580 soundstage sound tiny.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #613 of 2,089
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think 580s have "a huge soundstage" and if you like that, you really should listen to some AKG 501s, 601s, or 701ss. They make the 580 soundstage sound tiny.

But does the thinner sound of the K701 make up for it? I've never heard the K701s and would like to know.

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #615 of 2,089
I switch between 701s and modded 580s several times a night. The 701s are not "thin."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back