The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Apr 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #4,651 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it make sense to compare the HD800 to other headphones that are designed to be neutral? The K701 is touted as a neutral headphone, albeit a little bass shy. There are a number of "Studio Monitor" headphones like the Senn HD280, Senn HD380, M-Audio Q40, Audio Technica M50, Sony 7506,7509, the new Shure headphones, etc.

The price difference between these basic studio monitors and HD800 is huge, but if the sound is 95% the same...

Sorry to burst your bubble but you are way off here, actually you got it backwards. You can't compare these "studio" headphones as they have completely different applications already explained by John Willet. Studio doesnt automatically mean neutral, even many studio speakers arent that neutral either.

Those you mentioned are pretty mediocre, besides the shure i heard them all. They all have boosted bass and treble in common, mids are seriously lacking. Nowhere near the accuracy of k701 or stax 404, there's already worlds between them. So they absolutely fail at whats supposed to be the HD800s strongest point.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #4,652 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's "impressive" then it is changing the sound in some way to make it sound impressive.

You have a point but I still have to disagree. Impressive recordings sound definately impressive on my O300 monitors. These are far from "wow" machines
wink.gif
It really depends.
But there's lot's of mid-priced stuff that tries exactly what you described.

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #4,653 of 5,928
TTVJ says early May: first or second week.
Headroom says early May: first or second week.
But this was two weeks ago both by TTVJ and Headroom.

Other rumors here recently that's it's late to end May. But these rumors seems to be for outside USA.

Anyone get a more recent word from TTVJ or Headroom if it's still early May?

Apr 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #4,654 of 5,928
Hi John,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough (not good at multitasking -- go figure, I'm in IT!)... But when I said 'it didn't stand out' I meant in comparison to some other cans (no names mentioned), that are also considerd somewhat 'neutral'. I didn't feel I was gaining detail, soundstage,air around performers, etc.. The HD800s produced good bass weight\impact, but that alone didn't justify the price difference. Perhaps it's my tin ears, but also keep in mind that a majority of recorded music is compressed, bright, etc.. So in certain instances having a 'neutral' phone might not work out too well.
frown.gif

Quote:

Normally this is the first indication of headphones (applies to loudspeakers as well) that are doing the job properly as neutral and accurate transducers.

If it's "impressive" then it is changing the sound in some way to make it sound impressive.

A good test is to listen to headphones that you may find "bland" for a while and then listen to another - that tends to show things in a better light.

I'm not saying "good" or "bad" here, as people have their own personal tastes.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #4,655 of 5,928
[intercept]
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I hate interjecting hard data, Senn USA quoted me:

532758 is $163.28 ea.

for the hd800 cable, and, I will _try_ to order one today.

Great - terminations chosen yet?
[/intercept]

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4,656 of 5,928
Yes - Furutech FP-601 M (R) (because that is what is onhand), to (mis)match my Furutech FP-682F(G) - just to drive the 'match metal' crowd insane. If needed, I'll retrofit the Raven with 682-F(R), but just can't imagine it will really matter.

Cable ordered, but Senn USA tells me 'about a month' lead time - we'll see.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #4,657 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's my tin ears, but also keep in mind that a majority of recorded music is compressed, bright, etc..

This may be true of much modern multi-track, compressed into crap music.

Classical tends to be recorded neutral, as it is.

In my own sessions with the HD 800 I have listened to music I know well, much of it recorded myself.

With well recorded acoustic music the HD 800 should shine.

But that's why there are lots of different types of headphones, some neutral, some very coloured, and people choose the ones that suit them best.

Personally, as I do live music recording, I search out transducers that change the music as little as possible - preferably not at all. And that goes for microphones and loudspeakers and well as headphones - but that's personal to me.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4,658 of 5,928
Quote:

This may be true of much modern multi-track, compressed into crap music.

Classical tends to be recorded neutral, as it is.

In my own sessions with the HD 800 I have listened to music I know well, much of it recorded myself.

With well recorded acoustic music the HD 800 should shine.

But that's why there are lots of different types of headphones, some neutral, some very coloured, and people choose the ones that suit them best.

Personally, as I do live music recording, I search out transducers that change the music as little as possible - preferably not at all. And that goes for microphones and loudspeakers and well as headphones - but that's personal to me.

Where do the HD800 lye? Uncolored? Slightly colored?

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #4,659 of 5,928
Quote:

Hi John,

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough (not good at multitasking -- go figure, I'm in IT!)... But when I said 'it didn't stand out' I meant in comparison to some other cans (no names mentioned), that are also considerd somewhat 'neutral'. I didn't feel I was gaining detail, soundstage,air around performers, etc.. The HD800s produced good bass weight\impact, but that alone didn't just the price difference. Perhaps it's my tin ears, but also keep in mind that a majority of recorded music is compressed, bright, etc.. So in certain instances having a 'neutral' phone might not work out too well.
frown.gif

Just wanted to comment on this. Listen, anyone who purchases the hd800 and is listening to compressed music or confusing recording/mastering flaws for HP shortcomings should be banned from purchasing the hd800. It's just wouldn't make sense to even feel the need to be commenting on the compressed or lower quality source material, IMHO. At this point in the game, if someone is listening to compressed mp3 files, they've made a wrong turn(think entering a highway on an exit ramp with the WRONG WAY signs).

Is it necessary to put fine print about compressed material here?

I've not listened to the hd800 but from the impressions given, perhaps 'neutral' is the wrong descriptive word and 'faithful' would serve to explain more completely.

Based on Jude's reviews, seems like we're on the cusp of greatness that only comes along once in a great while and the excitement is building...can you feel it...10...9...8...7...6...

...even without the Alcantara.

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #4,660 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drumonron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is it necessary to put fine print about compressed material here?

Just putting a caveat to John W.'s post, I mean, not every CD is a Steve Hoffman remaster. Not to mention how much coloration sources\amps,cables (?) add to the mix.. It's more than just sticking the latest and greatest HP to the equation. Sometimes that needs to be reiterated.

Quote:

Based on Jude's reviews, seems like we're on the cusp of greatness that only comes along once in a great while and the excitement is building...can you feel it...10...9...8...7...6...

...even without the Alcantara.

<--- LOL!!! I'll take the lamborghini!!
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #4,662 of 5,928
Quote:

Just putting a caveat to John W.'s post, I mean, not every CD is a Steve Hoffman remaster. Not to mention how much coloration sources\amps,cables (?) add to the mix.. It's more than just sticking the latest and greatest HP to the equation. Sometimes that needs to be reiterated.

understood.

beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #4,664 of 5,928
Hello,

"Mid-to-late May is what we're now hearing from Sennheiser corporate -- However, given their previous statements, i would not necesarily bet on it.

We do expect to have more hard Sennheiser HD-800 shipment data available by Can-Jam 2009 in Los Angeles!"

jorge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back