The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #1,921 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could we please stop this plastic discussion in this thread?

Damn it, just seeing the word makes me sick. There is already one separate thread for the haters...

Great idea!

I've just moved 17 recent plastic posts to the mothership of all plastic threads: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

This thread is supposed to be about the "listen" and "review" aspects of the HD800, not all of these plastic arguments about plastics.

Sorry, but it's getting really sickening for many of us who are trying to follow this main thread. I could have gone back a lot further in this thread to parse out more of the plastic side tracking posts, but it just wasn't worth the effort.

Although I hope that moving these recent posts doesn't interrupt the flow of either thread, I do think that davidhunternyc was correct in his initial assumption that there should be a separate HD800 plastics thread. Yet, I would posit that the real reason for such a thread is not that there is sufficient interest in the plastics diatribe, but that not enough people really give a rat's a@@ about the whole plastics thing, so it's better to talk about it somewhere, anywhere, other than in this thread about listening impressions!

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #1,922 of 5,928
It's like a unicorn. It's been described, but never seen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #1,923 of 5,928
Thanks for all of that Steve. I think you've answered everything that you can at this point. I'm happy to hear that the 800s have the possibility of producing the very bottom end without a significant roll off.

Very few of the top headphones produce quality deep bass - and the ones that do aren't the ones that I like overall. Just like you, I feel that colored headphones, speakers or components cause me to lose interest in the long run (of course my GS-1000 is still with me, hats off to John's type of coloration). If I were someone wondering around at a meet and did a quick A/B with an HP-2 and PS-1. The PS-1 would have that "wow" factor which would make them seem better, but long term, the HP-2 was what I preferred by a large margin as the PS-1's coloration grew old quickly and the HP-2 seems to melt away and exposes the recording. I do realize that we all enjoy different things and I think the PS-1 is great. I'm just talking about my preference.

Another point is that the FR measurement from Senn doesn't tell the whole story. The K-1000 was designed to eliminate the reflections that can cancel frequencies and bounce around (the same as how room acoustic can negatively affect the sound of speakers). That is the whole reason that Tyll/Headroom uses a dummy head... to measure the REAL FR that someone would hear (give or take the personal shape of each ear). So, I'd imagine that the HD800 would sound colored to some degree regardless of how flat the measurements were that Senn took. The K-1000 is definitely unique in that sense. But what matters is that the 800 sounds like a very neutral headphone overall, so that alleviates any of my fears
bigsmile_face.gif

So, the Senn used an existing driver used in speakers already, but is the K-1000 driver unique or is it used regularly in speakers or headphones? Just wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

I guess at this point nothing is left but to get them and listen
smile.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #1,924 of 5,928
Hello. could i buy an HD800 directly at germany? and how loud is the sound leak of this? for does who already tried it at CES thanks alot

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #1,925 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great idea!

I've just moved 17 recent plastic posts to the mothership of all plastic threads: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

This thread is supposed to be about the "listen" and "review" aspects of the HD800, not all of these plastic arguments about plastics.

Sorry, but it's getting really sickening for many of us who are trying to follow this main thread. I could have gone back a lot further in this thread to parse out more of the plastic side tracking posts, but it just wasn't worth the effort.

Although I hope that moving these recent posts doesn't interrupt the flow of either thread, I do think that davidhunternyc was correct in his initial assumption that there should be a separate HD800 plastics thread. Yet, I would posit that the real reason for such a thread is not that there is sufficient interest in the plastics diatribe, but that not enough people really give a rat's a@@ about the whole plastics thing, so it's better to talk about it somewhere, anywhere, other than in this thread about listening impressions!

Yes, Wmcmanus, I agree with you. "Such" things need to be discussed on the "other" thread.

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #1,926 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like a unicorn. It's been described, but never seen
smily_headphones1.gif

Bigfoot. The Lockness Monster. Bernie Madoff's investments (maybe he should have invested in plastics).

Enigmas.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #1,927 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the Senn used an existing driver used in speakers already, but is the K-1000 driver unique or is it used regularly in speakers or headphones?

Both are proprietary developments specifically designed for headphones. Speaker drivers aren't exactly compatible with headphone drivers (even though John Grado used an array of headphone drivers for his satellite columns).

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #1,928 of 5,928
Thanks Steve for the comments & review. My post about avail and price was mainly a satire toward those who kept claiming a price drop in the immediate aftermath of presales. That is why I included the smiley funny face at the end of the post.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,929 of 5,928
can someone tell where the most recent review was in this thread? i seemed to have missed it.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #1,931 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can someone tell where the most recent review was in this thread? i seemed to have missed it.

This is the most recent. There are other reviews from CES by Jude, Tyll, edwood, bostonears and others.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5357142-post1810.html

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #1,932 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are proprietary developments specifically designed for headphones. Speaker drivers aren't exactly compatible with headphone drivers (even though John Grado used an array of headphone drivers for his satellite columns).

Thanks! My question was not stated clearly. I meant the "type" of driver that Sennheisser used has been used in speakers before. But I guess the "type" of driver used in the K-1000 would be classified as a standard dynamic driver, so I guess that's the answer.

I was just wondering if a headphone manufacturer innovated a completely new driver type.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #1,933 of 5,928
Quote:

Thanks! My question was not stated clearly. I meant the "type" of driver that Sennheisser used has been used in speakers before. But I guess the "type" of driver used in the K-1000 would be classified as a standard dynamic driver, so I guess that's the answer.

Yes, the K 1000's drivers are conventional dome drivers similar to corresponding «squawkers» in speakers.

Quote:

I was just wondering if a headphone manufacturer innovated a completely new driver type.

I'm sure that isn't the case. New technologies have always been designed for speakers in first place (isodynamic planars, Heil AMT, piezo drivers, plasma drivers, dynamic ring radiators...).

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #1,935 of 5,928
Quote:

Not exactly. K1000 driver is exceptional. According to technical materials it is "A freely vibrating diaphragm driven by newly designed Ventilated Linear Dynamic Magnet System" with AOC of 75%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back