The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 23, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #1,622 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ Beware of he who protests too much!

I'm assuming that you're referring to John Willet's post at the end of the previous page. I don't see that as a protest at all and have zero reason to believe that the descriptions he's provided concerning his relationship with Sennheiser as well as the posture he takes when posting about their products are anything but 100% honest.

Speaking of "he who protests too much", is the pot calling the kettle black? It seems that you've become quite the protester (perhaps too much) when it comes to the HD800, which you've yet to hear: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

John Willet has gone out of his way to provide full disclosure for all to see. Perhaps you have an axe to grind with Sennheiser that you're not telling us about? Perhaps not, as well. But you do sure seem to be protesting a lot.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #1,624 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming that you're referring to John Willet's post at the end of the previous page. I don't see that as a protest at all and have zero reason to believe that the descriptions he's provided concerning his relationship with Sennheiser as well as the posture he takes when posting about their products are anything but 100% honest.

Speaking of "he who protests too much", is the pot calling the kettle black? It seems that you've become quite the protester (perhaps too much) when it comes to the HD800, which you've yet to hear: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...-jeans-399951/

John Willet has gone out of his way to provide full disclosure for all to see. Perhaps you have an axe to grind with Sennheiser that you're not telling us about? Perhaps not, as well. But you do sure seem to be protesting a lot.

I was hoping that people would see that I was being facetious. Woops, sorry. By the way, me protesting too much? What was that? Plastic what? Mmwwah? Never.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #1,625 of 5,928
Quote:

I was hoping that people would see that I was being facetious. Woops, sorry. By the way, me protesting too much? What was that? Plastic what? Mmwwah? Never.

Yup, I was only half serious (at most) when making that post. You're just having fun in not liking them, as much as many of the rest of us are having fun in liking them. Either way, it gives us something to debate until we can actually hear them and be in a position to provide any comments of substance about them.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #1,626 of 5,928
Not that I should bring this up on this thread, but my other post about the plastic is strictly a visual issue. I am hoping, like the everyone else here, that the HD800 will set a new benchmark for dynamic headphones. If I don't like how they look, I could always spray paint the spray painted plastic.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #1,627 of 5,928
Don't know if this has been linked to previously, but this is a press release from Sennheiser Nordic (in english):

Sennheiser Worldwide: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems

Where they hint the similarity to the HE90:
"Now, the new HD 800 is expanding the top segment of Sennheiser headphones with the addition of an audiophile model that will remind high-end enthusiasts of the legendary Orpheus."

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #1,629 of 5,928
Quote:

Not that I should bring this up on this thread, but my other post about the plastic is strictly a visual issue. I am hoping, like the everyone else here, that the HD800 will set a new benchmark for dynamic headphones. If I don't like how they look, I could always spray paint the spray painted plastic.

Plastic:

I will quote two things from the published spec:-

"Leona. Ultra-light, high-rigidity, special plastic. As hard as titanium and thus yielding extremely low oscillation." (From the full brochure)

"An extremely stable, high-tech, plastic with top-notch damping properties ensures that vibrations are not felt on the headphone support." (From the German website flash presentation)

So the plastic is hi-tech and is there for its mechanical properties and not for cheapness - using metal could induce ringing or other things that would degrade the sound.

Just wait until you hear them, then you can comment from personal knowledge.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #1,630 of 5,928
Yeah, but didn't AKG claim that the K701 would remind listeners of the K1000?

Seems as if that's the approach these Euro headphone makers take when it comes to marketing.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #1,631 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if this has been linked to previously, but this is a press release from Sennheiser Nordic (in English):

Sennheiser Worldwide: Microphones, Headphones and Wireless Systems

Where they hint the similarity to the HE90:
"Now, the new HD 800 is expanding the top segment of Sennheiser headphones with the addition of an audiophile model that will remind high-end enthusiasts of the legendary Orpheus."

I had heard this from private conversations with the designer and product manager (but it's not something that Sennheiser have said in literature).

My own experience with the Orpheus was that I listened to it after listening to the top dynamic headphones of the time (HD 540 Gold, I think, which I also had and liked).

My initial impressions of the Orpheus were - OK, this sounds nice, but it did not seem very special at all.

I then took off the Orpheus and put the other headphones on again - my immediate reaction was then - yuk, these are horrible and took them off immediately.

Pause - thought - Ahhhh - the Orpheus are doing everything right and presenting the music as it really is. I then found it difficult to listen to the other headphones after that. Luckily the HD 580 came along and I got those (there was no way I could have afforded an Orpheus, unfortunately
frown.gif
).

My understanding is that you get the same sort of reaction with the HD 800.

But I cannot say more as I have not heard the 800 yet - I will see if this is true when I hear them for myself.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #1,632 of 5,928
I've pre-ordered the HD800, and I hope that it makes me nauseous when I listen to my HD600 and HD650.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #1,634 of 5,928
This headphone has the highest of expectations...including being the best headphone EVER. I hope that HD800 is at least reminiscent of the HE90! I may have to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back