The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 22, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #1,591 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well as much as that may be important for some use I don't think it makes much sense here when most of the industry sponsor and half their staff and premium customers are here. Also everyone knows half the people here are under the corporate version of rule number 1 called an NDA
tongue_smile.gif

I didn't actually mean that. It was a quote from Fight Club. Maybe I should have also referenced the second and third rules of head-fi as well.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #1,592 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You heard them? Initial impressions?
smile.gif
- sorry we are starving here

Yeah I was also at CES and gave them a listen. I think my impressions also paralleled everyone else. I didn't have much time with them but what I did hear was enough for me to go and pre-order a pair. One thing is for sure, they need a decent amp. There were using a Benchmark Dac1 in the booth and it just wasn't doing them justice. Fortunately Edwood was there on one of the times I went to listen to them and I got a listen to them with his Pico. Much better at driving them than the Benchmark. I can't wait to try them balanced with my B22.

Jan 22, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #1,593 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the first review will come along as soon as proper production units are available, rather than the pre-production units shown at CES.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the cans at CES were actual production models.

I can't speak for John but from talking to the many Sennheiser folks at CES and for the fact that we opened brand new boxed cans while I was in the room, these were in fact final, production models that were used. The cans were completely branded, serial numbered, and packaged so I don't think there can be any question that the CES cans were in fact production cans, but just limited in numbers. I think what John meant was that when the actual production volume of cans is available, there will be review pairs available, but I am not sure if that is what he is saying.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #1,595 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for John but from talking to the many Sennheiser folks at CES and for the fact that we opened brand new boxed cans while I was in the room, these were in fact final, production models that were used. The cans were completely branded, serial numbered, and packaged so I don't think there can be any question that the CES cans were in fact production cans, but just limited in numbers. I think what John meant was that when the actual production volume of cans is available, there will be review pairs available, but I am not sure if that is what he is saying.

I'm willing to bet John meant Pre-Release.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #1,597 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so...

Who here owns a Denon D5000 (or D7000) but also pre-order a pair of HD800s? For those of you who meet this condition, you may end up being a VERY important factor in helping me to decide if I want to buy a pair of HD800s or not.

Anyone?

Bueller... Bueller...

There should be some, including me.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #1,598 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, where is the first review? Only thing here is some impressions and a lot of speculation.

Short after its reaching the first customers I would guess!
wink.gif

So far its only been announced, and still 4-6 weeks before it hit the streets.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #1,599 of 5,928
Quote:

I can't speak for John

No you can't, I'm afraid.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

...but from talking to the many Sennheiser folks at CES and for the fact that we opened brand new boxed cans while I was in the room, these were in fact final, production models that were used. The cans were completely branded, serial numbered, and packaged so I don't think there can be any question that the CES cans were in fact production cans, but just limited in numbers. I think what John meant was that when the actual production volume of cans is available, there will be review pairs available, but I am not sure if that is what he is saying.

No, they were not production headphones.

Like most manufacturers Sennheiser will do a pre-production run of a small number of pieces before they finally press the button for manufacture.

This will highlight any possible manufacturing problems and will enable the production process to be adjusted accordingly. These units may be hand tested and checked to make sure is OK.

They would look and sound like the final product (and be packed like the final product if the packaging is all ready) but would not actually be from a proper production run.

My understanding is that the final tweaks are being done to production now and product available in March (as has been said by others earlier).

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #1,600 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortunately Edwood was there on one of the times I went to listen to them and I got a listen to them with his Pico. Much better at driving them than the Benchmark.

Wow, Benchmark drives them that badly! At one point i looked into the DAC1 and decided against it. I have a Pico myself that i truly love but it sure doesn't come close to driving the HD650s and i would think that a dedicated home amp would do much better than a tiny battery portable. My Lisa lll is the only portable that I have heard that even comes close to doing the 650 any justice and it blows the Pico out of the water.

As far as auditioning, I think they should set up an employee, ya know like John Willett out here, up with a new pair of HD800s early so he can write a more in depth review for us.
smile.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,601 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was also at CES and gave them a listen. I think my impressions also paralleled everyone else. I didn't have much time with them but what I did hear was enough for me to go and pre-order a pair. One thing is for sure, they need a decent amp. There were using a Benchmark Dac1 in the booth and it just wasn't doing them justice. Fortunately Edwood was there on one of the times I went to listen to them and I got a listen to them with his Pico. Much better at driving them than the Benchmark. I can't wait to try them balanced with my B22.

Thanks! I agree - the Benchmark was not the best choice. I find this especially true for headphones with a flat frequency response. Sounds like that combo could be very sterile sounding - just my guess though. I've already pre-orderred a pair, so let's hope the final tweaking makes them sound the same or better and not any worse like the claims about the GS-1000.

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #1,602 of 5,928
Quote:

No you can't, I'm afraid.
biggrin.gif

No, they were not production headphones.

Like most manufacturers Sennheiser will do a pre-production run of a small number of pieces before they finally press the button for manufacture.

This will highlight any possible manufacturing problems and will enable the production process to be adjusted accordingly. These units may be hand tested and checked to make sure is OK.

They would look and sound like the final product (and be packed like the final product if the packaging is all ready) but would not actually be from a proper production run.

My understanding is that the final tweaks are being done to production now and product available in March (as has been said by others earlier).

My apologies then. I understood that what was in the booth was a final product and not a prototype, which was what I was hoping to clarify. What are the "final tweaks" you mention? Are they production type tweaks or tweaks to the cans themselves?

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #1,603 of 5,928
I am also curious about the fate of the pre-production units - will they be distributed to anyone, or rounded up and scrapped?

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #1,604 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and thinner. this thing is so thick. i'm not here to argue, i just know that for me if i was to invest that amt of money on a huge bulky headphones, i rather buy a badass surround sound for the family or something

Where are you going to find a badass surround sound system for the family for $1400?
confused.gif

Quote:

And (just for luck), as this is what I'll use with mine when I get them:-

Grace902.jpg

This is what I'm going to use (just got it, this puppy has got some serious power):

luxmanP1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some high end tweeters use the ring radiator concept, most notably the ScanSpeak Illuminator, which sells for over $300 apiece just for the raw driver.

According to Mapleshades' Free Upgrade Advice:

"Snip off any plastic phase ring in front of the tweeter. Remove your speaker's cloth or foam grill. Hear as much as a 100% improvement in your treble".

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,605 of 5,928
Quote:

My apologies then. I understood that what was in the booth was a final product and not a prototype, which was what I was hoping to clarify. What are the "final tweaks" you mention? Are they production type tweaks or tweaks to the cans themselves?

For big shows like CES some products might get a little rushed to get dressed up for the show. I think that only Sennhiesser would know if any design changes will be needed to get them into full production. But seeing how this is a hand assembled product, I doubt if there'd be any major changes that would help to make production more efficient. But those are the kind of things they'd learn by doing rather than planning. Their products have always seemed pretty flawless (headphones or mic's) so they seem pretty anal on public release items. I have a pair of HD600's that I bought as B stock, and after 6 years, I still don't know what's sub-standard about them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back