The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #1,606 of 5,928
count me as one of these 'suckers'

150 hours so far with the Denon AH-D7000 and still using it..
with iphone direct for apple lossless
with headroom max
with apogee duet
and soon with grace m902b

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so...

Who here owns a Denon D5000 (or D7000) but also pre-order a pair of HD800s? For those of you who meet this condition, you may end up being a VERY important factor in helping me to decide if I want to buy a pair of HD800s or not.

Anyone?

Bueller... Bueller...

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #1,607 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as auditioning, I think they should set up an employee, ya know like John Willett out here, up with a new pair of HD800s early so he can write a more in depth review for us.
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

No point - no one would believe me, even if what I said was perfectly true.
biggrin.gif

A review should be done by a neutral person with no axe to grind.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #1,608 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies then. I understood that what was in the booth was a final product and not a prototype, which was what I was hoping to clarify. What are the "final tweaks" you mention? Are they production type tweaks or tweaks to the cans themselves?

The one in the booth was *not* a prototype - it was a final product in everything except that it was from a pre-production run rather than full-scale production.

A product that needed tweaking in itself would not be shown and demonstrated at a show like that.

Tweaks would only be for the factory, so that when the button is pressed every headphone comes out perfect.

A pre-production run just makes sure that that is possible and that you don't make 10,000 headphones which are out of spec..

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #1,609 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

No point - no one would believe me, even if what I said was perfectly true.
biggrin.gif

A review should be done by a neutral person with no axe to grind.

Good point, just figured that you are out here on your own from a different department, ect ect.
Just starving for a tidbit of information in the middle of a feeding fest like everyone else.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #1,610 of 5,928
Quote:

Good point, just figured that you are out here on your own from a different department, ect ect.
Just starving for a tidbit of information in the middle of a feeding fest like everyone else.

Don't let him fool you. He is a Sennheisser plant
tongue.gif
[size=xx-small](kidding)[/size]

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #1,611 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't let him fool you. He is a Sennheisser plant
tongue.gif

Don't you mean "Senny Crockitt" ?

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #1,612 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tweaks would only be for the factory, so that when the button is pressed every headphone comes out perfect.

A pre-production run just makes sure that that is possible and that you don't make 10,000 headphones which are out of spec..

Ahhh the joys of grinding around preproduction... being a tester I remember such grinds so vividly...
wink.gif

If I'm allowed to take you all down my memory lane and into the world of audio development while we wait for the next 6 weeks to pass:

Imagine the R'n'D department of an audio company. Everyone is running around testing and measuring like mad for a few days. Project leaders and other staff tend to look at me asking if everything is "go" on the on real life stress tests - which is more or less involves me jumping on it and making people crazy by doing very fast repeated moves 50 times in a row when connecting and using it to what ever weird products you like to source from. As John says its normal audio company praxis to have audio tuning and all that already written in stone before the preproduction copies. The first none preproduction copy's with the right sound you actually have to fight for to listen to if you, like me, are don't have any say in that part but are more heard as an commentator with useful insight into the product. The real guys are with audio say and tuning expertise are typical the older guy at Johns age at least with loads of experience.
I'm one of the first to ever see both preproductions and earlier samples have long time hands on given the nature of my work. So by this time its not that this isn't the N'th time I'v tested this product and by now its usually just about enough for most in R'n'D and we just want to send it properly out the door and get our free copy. Its the devil and our child all at once.
So here we are:
All the mechanical engineers and the like are looking into the any fixing any remaining problems with mass production. Marketing is preparing the last bits for launch. Electronics engineers are doing double checks to see if all the preproduction model are true to the spec.'s that I'm not able to test. If there is software in it the software department is working on any last minute details on the gold version of the software if my department didn't approve that already. Its all good..

But then the final day the R'n'D director steps in and tell us that something is up. We have 2 hours to stress test it and give a go/no go like a shuttle launch was dependent on it or the company will loose days of waiting with the mass production facility all ready for production tomorrow and big $ will be lost per day waiting. One team is sweating - it could be hell for them... will my team approve it and will our judgment be enough for the responsible project manager and the R'n'D director to decide on?

That is enormous power of being the tester. We are giving or taking the hope routinely of development teams and project managers alike with out even blinking an eye before crushing their dreams. As a young guy you can't help love the responsibility - I mean if you don't catch something in time!

That is what I really love about my job, that, the mostly free stuff and being six months to 2 years ahead on many developments. And that, my fellow audiophiles, is what I'm doing all next week**... making broken dreams or telling my friend, the project manager, that finally... finally his child is ready for all you out there soon
devil_face.gif

** Please note: Next week is like any other expect I'm working all week (lucky me) as my university has its winter holiday [not for me] week. Its all just dramatical effects and fictive story to give you an idea and have nothing to do with any real products or situations that may or may not be coming or have happened. Just to get you a feeling of it all.. and remember NDA people - the first rule of fight club!

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #1,613 of 5,928
the benchmark dac1 pre they used at the show was rated A by stereophile and product of the year by absolute sound, so what the "boys" heard with the new HD800 should be pretty true.

paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I was also at CES and gave them a listen. I think my impressions also paralleled everyone else. I didn't have much time with them but what I did hear was enough for me to go and pre-order a pair. One thing is for sure, they need a decent amp. There were using a Benchmark Dac1 in the booth and it just wasn't doing them justice. Fortunately Edwood was there on one of the times I went to listen to them and I got a listen to them with his Pico. Much better at driving them than the Benchmark. I can't wait to try them balanced with my B22.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,615 of 5,928
good, glad i did not order that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was rated by its DAC, not its amp.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #1,617 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good, glad i did not order that one.

plus stereophile generally gives high scores to everything.....

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #1,618 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plus stereophile generally gives high scores to everything.....

Especially when they advertise in their magazine.

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #1,619 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulchiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the benchmark dac1 pre they used at the show was rated A by stereophile and product of the year by absolute sound, so what the "boys" heard with the new HD800 should be pretty true.

The Benchmark device driving the HD800 at CES was not a DAC1 Pre, but a regular DAC1. The difference is significant because the Pre uses different opamps for its headphone circuit.

I own a DAC1 Pre and think its a great product. I also used to own a Grace m902. While, I concur that the Grace has a better headphone amp, the Benchmark's DAC is better and its headphone section is still very good. Most of the people dissing the Benchmark DAC1 have never heard a DAC1 Pre, and just assume the headphone section is the same. It's not.

Jan 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #1,620 of 5,928
Quote:

Good point, just figured that you are out here on your own from a different department, etc. etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't let him fool you. He is a Sennheiser plant
tongue.gif

I'm not a "plant", I'm not a salesman and my interest is in classical music recording to very high quality (hence me spending thousands on top quality Sennheiser and Neumann microphones and a Nagra VI recorder).

I am open and honest when I post; but, obviously, because I work for Sennheiser any review I wrote would be taken with a pinch of salt.

Though, for what it's worth, I will post my initial impressions as soon as I actually get hold of a pair.

All I have to go on at the moment is comments here and conversations with the designer and product manager. Though those have been interesting when they tell me that the HD 800 sounds pretty close to the Orpheus - so I am very eager to get my hands on a pair and listen to some of my own 24/96 masters through them.

For UK people who want a listen, there should be a pair at the Bristol Hi-Fi show at the end of next month demonstrated with a Nagra CD and Grace m902 and the best recorded music I can find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back