The Perfect Headphones (Opinions Needed)
Oct 9, 2012 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jlava

Head-Fier
Kinda need some opinions on headphones. I listen to mainly electronic music( House, Dubstep, Trance) which is somewhat bass heavy and was wondering what a good pair around the $150 dollar price range would be. Been hearing the Sennheiser HD 518 might be the ones im looking for after alot of research on these forums. Ive also hear great things about the Grado SR 60i and they are cheaper so thats always a plus. Lastly people rant about the Audio Technica m50 but thats a little pricey. These would mainly be used without an amp and for listening to music on the go. Thanks for any help.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Kinda need some opinions on headphones. I listen to mainly electronic music( House, Dubstep, Trance) which is somewhat bass heavy and was wondering what a good pair around the $150 dollar price range would be. Been hearing the Sennheiser HD 518 might be the ones im looking for after alot of research on these forums. Ive also hear great things about the Grado SR 60i and they are cheaper so thats always a plus. Lastly people rant about the Audio Technica m50 but thats a little pricey. These would mainly be used without an amp and for listening to music on the go. Thanks for any help.

Heya,

I would suggest you start with:

Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 580
M-Audio Q40
Sony XB500
Shure SRH750 DJ

Add a simple Fiio E6 with bass EQ turned up and you have a portable earthquake device with good quality in other areas as well.

Very best,

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 12
hi, you need a good amp and/or DAC to drive them good ones, and they really makes your purchase worthwhile.
just got myself an E10 today and I can't take my M50s of , it' s been 4 hours already , my arse is sore from sitting down. my head won't let go. lol
so what ever you decide, get something to drive them properly. especially if you are using a pc/mac as a main library. that headphone jack might not be enough.

Im not expert, however , the difference  from listening direct through my iMac 2009 27" headphone jack and through the E10 DAC is 40% better. in my honest opinion. I know you hear this all the time. but because they are truly make your HP alive.

oh don't forget to burn them in also when brand new . (turn in on natural listening volume for 10-14 hours...that's when my M50 starts to "spray" canvas  from my music). and good luck, let us know, post picture. when you get your pick : Cheers 

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 12
The m50s are expensive?  If your budget is $150 they should be well within that.  Actually at the time of this posting they can be had off amazon for $113 new or $95 used.  Also, I would definitely avoid grado if you listen to bass heavy music.  I love my SR225i for rock, but they have borderline no bass compared to most headphones and are very oriented towards highs.  I also often hear good things about the bass on the vmoda m80s which can be had for $151 on amazon at the time of this posting if you want to stretch your budget by a whole dollar <3.  On the bright side the m80s will also probably look nicer than any of other headphones at or below the $151 mark

Oct 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 12
There are a couple different versions of the m50, but the only difference is whether or not the cable is coiled if I remember correctly.  These are the links I'm using

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349763453&sr=1-2&keywords=audio+technica+m50

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-Noise-Isolating-Headphone-Shadow/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349762413&sr=1-1&keywords=vmoda+m80

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Not to rush you but you should buy the m80s quickly if they're what you're after.  They were 151 last night, jumped to 200 in the middle of the night, and fell back to 151 this morning.  Their pricing seems pretty unstable, but I've never seen them below the 150ish mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back