The PENON official thread
Nov 16, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #11,566 of 13,875
Nov 17, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #11,568 of 13,875
@somnarium,
@kaeswiss,

Probably too direct, as that is simply how I think at times.

Ha, sorry I didn’t mean it that way, I guess what I thought and how it was written/taken was different. Much turmoil is due to misunderstandings? I take back, what ever side was not taken correctly.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #11,569 of 13,875
man tbh i dont get your lunatics statement.....so plz f off here...its non sens what you write.
im truely curious about Butastur and will review them asap.
and their a thread about these IEM (an helpful headfier PM me about it)....way more informative than your lunatics things....

i publish review on headfi since 10 years. i dont think you can learn me anything mate.

so keep your game with you. indeed, im not in it at all.
Peace! I guess what I just wrote was also a misunderstanding? I was saying that the IEM in question is limited in production........therefore you can’t expect to read numerous reviews on it. It is not like a Kiwi ears production, for example. Though if you are interested in adding to the review catalog, maybe contact the manufacturer and simply ask for one? Just my 2 cents?

Calling Head-Fi insane, is simply a joke, as all of us are inside......of these walls so to speak. Normal people don’t obsess on IEMs, they simply buy Apple Air-Pods. That is what I meant. No hard feelings. The “Don’t you read” comment was just me being a smart ass, so sorry, if you took offense to it, it was truly very direct, but meant to be taken light-heartedly.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #11,570 of 13,875
Although I am very fond of my Penon Serial I don't find it bass focused. I like it's analogue sound and good timbre, but there are a few Penons and ISNs that I like more. This new Quattro has really got me interested though. I am a bass lover and I am hoping it improves the Serial bass. What can a tiny 4.5mm DD can do for the treble, compared to an EST or BA is intriguing me. The implementation of the ESTs, let's say, on the 10th Anniversary is wonderful. What will a 4.5mm DD do?

Nov 17, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #11,571 of 13,875
Although I am very fond of my Penon Serial I don't find it bass focused. I like it's analogue sound and good timbre, but there are a few Penons and ISNs that I like more. This new Quattro has really got me interested though. I am a bass lover and I am hoping it improves the Serial bass. What can a tiny 4.5mm DD can do for the treble, compared to an EST or BA is intriguing me. The implementation of the ESTs, let's say, on the 10th Anniversary is wonderful. What will a 4.5mm DD do?
Typically manufacturers know the limitations of single full-range drivers to at times take and recess the lowest frequencies to kind of focus what a single full-range does best. Or they may roll-off upper details, or do both! :)

But the drawbacks are single full-range soundstage positioning for one. That while definitely the single full-range cohesiveness and timbre are normally a total win. But it seems manufacturers can be creative with them having more DDs which go ahead and maybe increase stage, and have extra freedom simply because you’re not asking a single DD to perform everything. The Serial has been (and is to this day) a Goldilocks style of enigma.....in my eyes. Only because it has incredible timbre, and a great stage. While not offering some of that BA spacious washes, listeners are not asking for that, because they know they are getting DD timbre instead. The tough part to me is the fact that Hybrids (with BA drivers, and a DD) have jumped way ahead in quality. Timbre issues are almost a thing of the past on a few newer models, which just wasn’t so a few years ago. That’s how I see it.

And while the Serial will go down in history for it’s midrange, there was also other aspects that made it unique to the IEM world. I mean there are not too many multiple DDs out there really. And if there are, they are not always walking that fine line of balance, that you already know Penon will include with this new one. The Quattro has some pretty big shoes to fill, in my opinion. For me the 10th Anniversary is such a joy, the ISN EST50 is too, but in a different way. The DOME and Neo5 have that magic that reminds you that they still are Penon/ISN products, yet each one is its own thing, and will always bring a uniqueness to the table. I know this Quattro will do the same again, I just don’t know exactly how, yet?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #11,572 of 13,875
It's wild how things has change. I have the Serial and i enjoy it dearly, but i would say the Serial was no where near neutral with its bass performance. The bass definitely colored the whole spectrum
yes they are sure offering a unique bassy balanced V shape with sub bass focus that can extract bass line like no other, then our attention is captivate by the bassist and can overshadow saxophone in jazz band for ex. but the layering is well preserve tx to 3dd...

man...im even more obsess abotu Quattro...i dream about it this night...i wonder what other 4DDs offering their around....cant think of anything serious.

cant wait to see a first graph....i expect something bassy and hope we have sweet mids like Penon Globe or Dome or even 10th and Turbo...

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #11,573 of 13,875
Got them in my ears. I am just gonna put this out there first for you guys. I just threw them in my ears. NO burn in.

These simply sound spectacular! Gonna gather some thoughts and post an early impression soon. I am gonna go out on a limb and say.

These are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon.

hype-train.gif

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #11,574 of 13,875
yes they are sure offering a unique bassy balanced V shape with sub bass focus that can extract bass line like no other, then our attention is captivate by the bassist and can overshadow saxophone in jazz band for ex. but the layering is well preserve tx to 3dd...

man...im even more obsess abotu Quattro...i dream about it this night...i wonder what other 4DDs offering their around....cant think of anything serious.

cant wait to see a first graph....i expect something bassy and hope we have sweet mids like Penon Globe or Dome or even 10th and Turbo...
The only other 4DD I’ve read about was the Oriolus Monachaa, which is a cool 2k USD LOL.

also extremely excited about this one.

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #11,575 of 13,875
Oh man. Penon pulled some magic to this one. Timbre, stage, detail, sound sparation, layering. texture on all of it. It is remarkable. Penon threw on a new cable on it as well. Extremely well matching cable on it. They are stunners to look at.

Sorry fellas it sounds like I am gushing that is because I am. I have no idea what the end retail price on these will be but let me put it this way. Whatever they are selling it for. Will be worth owning for your collection. These are not just a small sidegrade on the old serials. These are definitinely an upgrade.

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #11,576 of 13,875
Trebles sound spectacular. Love this tiny micro HD doing treble work. sounds like a tweeter speaker doing its thing. Treble is airy articulate well imaged and detailed. Sounds amazing. Dynamic version of the ESTs?

Penon is onto something with this. To think these sound this good out of the box. Burnin in initiated. Will be back with more thoughts.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #11,578 of 13,875
Trebles sound spectacular. Love this tiny micro HD doing treble work. sounds like a tweeter speaker doing its thing. Treble is airy articulate well imaged and detailed. Sounds amazing. Dynamic version of the ESTs?

Penon is onto something with this. To think these sound this good out of the box. Burnin in initiated. Will be back with more thoughts.
Hype is real 👀🔥

Nov 17, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #11,579 of 13,875
Got them in my ears. I am just gonna put this out there first for you guys. I just threw them in my ears. NO burn in.

These simply sound spectacular! Gonna gather some thoughts and post an early impression soon. I am gonna go out on a limb and say.

These are gonna fly off the shelves for Penon.

Oh man. Penon pulled some magic to this one. Timbre, stage, detail, sound sparation, layering. texture on all of it. It is remarkable. Penon threw on a new cable on it as well. Extremely well matching cable on it. They are stunners to look at.

Sorry fellas it sounds like I am gushing that is because I am. I have no idea what the end retail price on these will be but let me put it this way. Whatever they are selling it for. Will be worth owning for your collection. These are not just a small sidegrade on the old serials. These are definitinely an upgrade.

D5AE8CA5-B0E0-48B5-B136-091BC388FBB7.jpeg

Sounds sexy!

2C15138B-52A5-4021-A1F8-39903A8C6163.gif

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #11,580 of 13,875
what about bass?

Quattro is a balanced tuned IEM so even though one would think two 10mm will be all about the bass. It is not Its certainly punchy, tight and well executed bass but its not emphasized more than 7-8dbs which is the goldilocks for bass emphasis for IEMs. So no boomstick Bass but you can't have too much balancing if your low end is too much. I personally love the driver choices here for the entire thing.

Bass has excellent control and digs deep when called for. Will get into more details here soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back