The PENON official thread
May 20, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #13,861 of 13,977
From your comment, I would blind buy with the early bird discount if I wasn't waiting/saving for the Storm right now. So it sits approx. one step above $1k and one (or half) step below $3k, then it's up to tuning preference.

Totally agreed, I am sitting on the fence with Voltage. If I don’t have Impact and Z1R, I would have blind buy given it is very close to Impact with better bass at half of Impact’s price. Based on what I read, it has good performance/price ratio and the early bird sweeten the deal.

May 20, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #13,862 of 13,977
I would have to say Voltage, though it is such a different ballgame when you're hearing all DDs like Monachaa. For instance, the deepest subbass of Monachaa is deeper than that of Voltage, but not enough to make the difference between all that Voltage does bring to the table. Mids, upper mids, treble extension on Voltage is flat out better than Monachaa, to me. There is also a bit more mid bass in Voltage, which I find particularly appealing.

Voltage is a true deal in this hobby, it's just that Penon fanboys (like me) are not using to spending so much on Penon. Since I've spent a fair amount on others, I jumped at this opportunity and will not look back or sell the Voltage.

But I see the conundrum. Penon fans are generally used to spending less, and the guys who spend a lot don't usually pay much attention to Penon, so who's gonna buy the Voltage?? Smart folks from both camps, methinks. The word will get out eventually, it's too good not to.
The Monachaa were next on my list of pricier IEM's to try to buy. I can audition them but I can't audition the Voltage. But they sound very intriguing, and are easier to drive. This is an interesting comparison.

May 20, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #13,863 of 13,977
I humbly present to you another, yes another cable review! The OCC849 cable from Penon Audio!
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/pe...diophile-iem-cable.27241/reviews#review-33965
DSC_0041.jpegsw.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #13,864 of 13,977
Anyone on the fence for buying a Voltage send me a PM, I may have a proposition for you. Thanks.

May 20, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #13,865 of 13,977
Can anyone help explain how good the bass texture (quality, not quantity) on Voltage is? Compared to other Penon DD bass sets or flagship DD bass like Z1R?
This is one of the great things about Voltage. It's bass quality is just superb. Bass guitar notes are incisive, drums, too, really the best bass I've heard in a Penon, with due regard to Quattro, a bass based guilty pleasure.

The transition from sub to mid bass is also fantastic with amazing cohesion.

May 21, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #13,866 of 13,977
Thanks everyone that’s helped with their impressions and for answering my questions. I’ve taken the plunge and ordered Voltage :)

I was considering selling Impact given my plethora of other IEMs, thinking that Voltage would replace it in the stable. But, have been listening to Impact for the past day or so and it’s so special (vocal/acoustic music especially) that I can see them sitting nicely alongside each other in my collection. Can always sell one once I’ve properly lived with them both for a while.

May 21, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #13,867 of 13,977
Any particular reason Penon does not have any authorized sellers in the US? I mean that would really help their cause here. A lot of people won't buy direct from china only, and thus we have far less options here.

May 21, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #13,868 of 13,977
Any particular reason Penon does not have any authorized sellers in the US? I mean that would really help their cause here. A lot of people won't buy direct from china only, and thus we have far less options here.

Maybe Penon are satisfied with current demand from those who are willing to purchase direct from China? I know for some of their sets they've had to go on backorder which implies they're operating close to capacity anyway...

Could be a whole load of other reasons, I doubt anyone in this forum will be privy to it, though.

May 21, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #13,869 of 13,977
Maybe Penon are satisfied with current demand from those who are willing to purchase direct from China? I know for some of their sets they've had to go on backorder which implies they're operating close to capacity anyway...

Could be a whole load of other reasons, I doubt anyone in this forum will be privy to it, though.

Most companies want to make more money. There are people here that seem to have pretty close ties with Penon so perhaps someone might have an educated guess.

May 21, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #13,870 of 13,977
I do believe eventually Penon will become a bigger company but based on what I know about them. They are a smaller company based out of Hong Kong. As smaller operations are, the more middle men you have the more you have to pay to play so they keep thier operations on a boutique level or smaller for this reason. Also the reason why they can keep prices in check.

But you never know, the way they are gaining in popularity I can see them expanding in the future. Attending Can Jams and becoming bigger. That is when they will have retailers in the US, Europe and other parts of Asia. I do know audio retailers reaches out to Penon for their IEMs so I am certain as they gain in popularity they will have to expand operations.

May 21, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #13,871 of 13,977
I do believe eventually Penon will become a bigger company but based on what I know about them. They are a smaller company based out of Hong Kong. As smaller operations are, the more middle men you have the more you have to pay to play so they keep thier operations on a boutique level or smaller for this reason. Also the reason why they can keep prices in check.

But you never know, the way they are gaining in popularity I can see them expanding in the future. Attending Can Jams and becoming bigger. That is when they will have retailers in the US, Europe and other parts of Asia. I do know audio retailers reaches out to Penon for their IEMs so I am certain as they gain in popularity they will have to expand operations.
I agree with you here. I also think most of us purchasing from the USA direct from Penon have had great experiences and fast shipping, so they seem to be in no hurry to fix something that's not broken.

But to get bigger, they may do what you suggest. They are already a mini distributor themselves with all the brands they carry.

May 21, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #13,872 of 13,977
I was wondering if Audio46 would want to pick them up.

May 21, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #13,875 of 13,977
I just wanted to write it the same way. Dealers only make the product more expensive for the customer.
Yeah but having the least one dealer in your own country, especially one with an absolutely massive market, is not like asking for an extravagant service for the extra price. I mean let's get real here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back