The PENON official thread
May 24, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #13,891 of 14,143
May 24, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #13,893 of 14,143
A good buddy of mine just picked up a set and today he sent me a message and I quote.

"Dude, these sound sublime. I can’t hear any faults. Beefed up version of the moonlight for sure. These EST’s are tuned correct. Great defined bass."

He is referring to the Yanyin Moonlights which we both have. He was asking me at one point before the purchase, if the bass is as tame as the moonlights. What he was looking for was a "Beefed up version of the moonlights." But then it is much more than just that.

It’s been a long time since I had the Moonlight, but no way is Voltage’s bass as tame.

Really digging the way Voltage handles those dynamic swings.

Looks like I was the lucky one to get last of the first batch… mine are en route currently.

Sorry!

Something tells me that you won’t be, once you receive them.

Congrats to everyone who have them on the way! Can’t wait for you all to share your impressions as well.

I've taken the plunge and gone for a Voltage custom set, I'll hopefully have them in 3 weeks.

Awesome! I was sorely tempted to order the Voltage CIEM and went as far as to enquire about them early on, but I couldn’t have borne the wait.

Damn. Just when I was saying I could stop and be happy with my Voltage, Penon whips out this BCD.

May 24, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #13,894 of 14,143
I have decided to tidy up aka reduce my ever so growing gear park. If anybody is interested in a Penon 10th Anniversary or Quattro feel free to PM me...

May 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #13,895 of 14,143
I partially drunk ordered the Voltage two nights ago, tried to cancel it today but they already shipped! Can't complain about fast shipping, my buzzed shopping habits are not Penon's problem, so looks like I'll have a set next week hopefully. Got to figure out if I can keep them.

they were actually backordered, but I got an email from Penon saying that they had a few back in stock from a query I made about them, and I jumped on it. Thanks beer!

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #13,896 of 14,143
I have decided to tidy up aka reduce my ever so growing gear park. If anybody is interested in a Penon 10th Anniversary or Quattro feel free to PM me...
Pm
Pm

May 24, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #13,897 of 14,143
I partially drunk ordered the Voltage two nights ago, tried to cancel it today but they already shipped! Can't complain about fast shipping, my buzzed shopping habits are not Penon's problem, so looks like I'll have a set next week hopefully. Got to figure out if I can keep them.

they were actually backordered, but I got an email from Penon saying that they had a few back in stock from a query I made about them, and I jumped on it. Thanks beer!
Sounds like a story remotely similar to my first marriage?

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #13,898 of 14,143
May 24, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #13,899 of 14,143
Yeah, the faceplate with the ocean and land is reminiscent of that of Penon's Fan2.
There is no other IEM in the world that looks like the Fan 2 or this new one, yet to be named publicly.

May 24, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #13,900 of 14,143
Hi everyone! I have finally posted a proper (but amateur) review for the Voltage here

Thanks for reading!!!

May 24, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #13,901 of 14,143
Hi everyone! I have finally posted a proper (but amateur) review for the Voltage here

Thanks for reading!!!
Appreciate the thoughts, but even more curious about comparisons. The comparison to the Monachaa is perfect as those have been on my radar, but are 1K more! You seem to have some high end IEM and must have heard a lot of other good ones. Will you possibly add in some more comparisons on the review or just in posts here?

May 24, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #13,902 of 14,143
Appreciate the thoughts, but even more curious about comparisons. The comparison to the Monachaa is perfect as those have been on my radar, but are 1K more! You seem to have some high end IEM and must have heard a lot of other good ones. Will you possibly add in some more comparisons on the review or just in posts here?
Even though I haven't heard the Voltage yet (hopefully one week later), I would say from the review, it is hard to compare Voltage with most of the TOTL I know. Almost all of the multi-kilobuck TOTL IEMs have their special sauce to put some uniqueness to the TOTL level of everything else. Otherwise, it is very hard to convince people to spend that much for them.

It seems to me that Voltage possesses at least very close to TOTL level of competency without any apparent weakness. On the other hand, while it has some strength in Mids as portraited in the review, it does not have a special sauce that immediately turns you on (or in some case or for some people, turns you away).

I will give you example for high school graduates applying for Harvard. Most of the applicants are close to perfect with 4.8 GPA, tons of AP courses while also participated in tons of other extra-curriculum activities. However, those who got admission typically have their special sauces, as the indicators for the potential of being the future leaders.

I would guess Voltage is one of those close to perfect applicant, but apparently, still has something missing to safety slap a multi-kilobuck price tag.

Of course, this is purely my guess since I am still waiting for mine to ship out.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 12:51 AM Post #13,903 of 14,143
Even though I haven't heard the Voltage yet (hopefully one week later), I would say from the review, it is hard to compare Voltage with most of the TOTL I know. Almost all of the multi-kilobuck TOTL IEMs have their special sauce to put some uniqueness to the TOTL level of everything else. Otherwise, it is very hard to convince people to spend that much for them.

It seems to me that Voltage possesses at least very close to TOTL level of competency without any apparent weakness. On the other hand, while it has some strength in Mids as portraited in the review, it does not have a special sauce that immediately turns you on (or in some case or for some people, turns you away).

I will give you example for high school graduates applying for Harvard. Most of the applicants are close to perfect with 4.8 GPA, tons of AP courses while also participated in tons of other extra-curriculum activities. However, those who got admission typically have their special sauces, as the indicators for the potential of being the future leaders.

I would guess Voltage is one of those close to perfect applicant, but apparently, still has something missing to safety slap a multi-kilobuck price tag.

Of course, this is purely my guess since I am still waiting for mine to ship out.
That's an interesting point, and it's not lost on me having heard special sauce.

Voltage seems to specifically avoid any special sauce, and instead wants to present the most balanced, accessible, full bodied, well rounded sound, but also tweakable with the switches. An everything for everybody.

May 25, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #13,904 of 14,143
That's an interesting point, and it's not lost on me having heard special sauce.

Voltage seems to specifically avoid any special sauce, and instead wants to present the most balanced, accessible, full bodied, well rounded sound, but also tweakable with the switches. An everything for everybody.
Does this mean that the treble while very well extended would still fall just short of being categorized as special sauce? Which aspect of the Voltage is closer to being special, in order (e.g., mids, then bass, then treble)?

May 25, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #13,905 of 14,143
Does this mean that the treble while very well extended would still fall just short of being categorized as special sauce? Which aspect of the Voltage is closer to being special, in order (e.g., mids, then bass, then treble)?
The Voltage is the special sauce at that price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back