The PENON official thread
Nov 17, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #11,597 of 14,160
Penon sent a discount for the Fan2 in email today… they are testing my purchase hold out ahead of Quattro. Very rude of them lol.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #11,598 of 14,160
hey guys, anybody have tested or reviewed the Night Oblivion Butastur?

I was expecting lotta reviews and sound impressions but i either miss it or dont see it...i mean there 3 reviews on headfi but i struggle to get an idea of the sound still....i expect crazy layering-imaging with 10ba as well as rich lively macro dynamic. the bass i expect it fast and round, not thin due to graph that show proper full range bass apart perhaps sub roll off?

i mean 10 knowles BA for 600$ is something quite exceptional....could it compete with overhyped big boi like the 64audio U12T? this is my question here. do it offer great sound value technicaly wise and did tuning is refined and cohesive enough to be consider high end?

ill do my best to review those, even if i have to throw $ to do so for plain sound value reviewing curiosity.

other question would be: is there any other 10 knowles or sonion BAs IEM in sub600$ price range right now?
Check this review mate

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/iem-discussion-thread-part-2/40657/273

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #11,599 of 14,160
Penon sent a discount for the Fan2 in email today… they are testing my purchase hold out ahead of Quattro. Very rude of them lol.
Fan2 is a very nice IEM. Warm, good bass and non fatiguing mids and treble. Great every day carry!

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #11,600 of 14,160
So is the price for the Quattro out yet?

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #11,601 of 14,160
Quattro is a balanced tuned IEM so even though one would think two 10mm will be all about the bass. It is not Its certainly punchy, tight and well executed bass but its not emphasized more than 7-8dbs which is the goldilocks for bass emphasis for IEMs. So no boomstick Bass but you can't have too much balancing if your low end is too much. I personally love the driver choices here for the entire thing.

Bass has excellent control and digs deep when called for. Will get into more details here soon.
"Bass has excellent control and digs deep when called for" = no bass ?

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #11,602 of 14,160
"Bass has excellent control and digs deep when called for" = no bass ?
Yh pretty much seems so, I was pretty intrigued by the Quattro. But now reshifted my focus on the Penon 10th anniversary. I want elevated bass rather than a balanced tuning.

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #11,604 of 14,160
Quattro is a balanced tuned IEM so even though one would think two 10mm will be all about the bass. It is not Its certainly punchy, tight and well executed bass but its not emphasized more than 7-8dbs which is the goldilocks for bass emphasis for IEMs. So no boomstick Bass but you can't have too much balancing if your low end is too much. I personally love the driver choices here for the entire thing.

Bass has excellent control and digs deep when called for. Will get into more details here soon.
This sounds like a excellent tuning nice to see another balanced offering within the family! You want fast mid bass buy the F2, you want overall authoritative bass 10th, You want sub bass, Dome.

And bieng all DD you know the. Timbre and tonality will be spot on as only Dynamic Drivers can belt out.

I have love for Sonion BA Mids but really looking forward to hearing this one!

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #11,605 of 14,160
I love the days just before the release of a highly anticipated earphone, in this case Quattro, when people make judgements about sound and whether or not it is good, worthwhile etc before the hype train has even entered the station Let alone anyone hearing and giving impressions.
As a big fan of the Serial I am looking forward To hearing this one and also how others are hearing it. Definitely hoping to board this hype train once it takes off in earnest.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #11,606 of 14,160
I love the days just before the release of a highly anticipated earphone, in this case Quattro, when people make judgements about sound and whether or not it is good, worthwhile etc before the hype train has even entered the station Let alone anyone hearing and giving impressions.
As a big fan of the Serial I am looking forward To hearing this one and also how others are hearing it. Definitely hoping to board this hype train once it takes off in earnest.
you love to travel on the hype train, there is such a thing

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #11,607 of 14,160
Would be pretty weird for Quattro to have 2 10mm DD, though not isobaric, to not at least be bass emphasized

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:06 PM Post #11,608 of 14,160
Same thing happened before 10th AE released. People were questioning the DDs inside the 10th AE before reading about any impressions of it. Even I was doubting the capabilities of 2x 6mm DDs. I wasn't crapping on it prior to its released but I wondered if 2 6mm DDs could provide enough bass.

Turned out the 10th AE has powerful, satisfying, quality, deep, rumbly bass. Just doesn't have the incredible bass texture and extension of the Monarch MKIII, but it's also half the price and not nearly as chunky.

I don't doubt Penon's ability to give customers a great tuning, using quality drivers. I love both the NEO 5 and 10th AE. If they're using 2x 10mm DDs in the Quattro, it will definitely have amazing bass. Who knows if the Quatro will be a basshead IEM (I doubt it), but Penon has ISN for that purpose and they've already created the Turbo.

Nov 18, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #11,610 of 14,160
So when is the Quattro finally going to be out and with some reviewers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back