The PENON official thread
May 16, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #9,061 of 13,881
@s2kphile & @Dsnuts
Thank you for your first impressions guys! Seems as if it was not a bad idea to blind buy the 10th as my first Penon IEM beforehand :)
Looking forward to it even more now...

May 16, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #9,062 of 13,881
All that talk about the CS819 earlier, I decided to take a few pics of this wonderful budget pairing.

I don't think anything under $100 can beat this combo.

BLON Z300 05.jpg

BLON Z300 04.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #9,063 of 13,881
I'll have to try that combo.
All that talk about the CS819 earlier, I decided to take a few pics of this wonderful budget pairing.

I don't think anything under $100 can beat this combo.

BLON Z300 05.jpg

BLON Z300 04.jpg

May 16, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #9,064 of 13,881

Bass test with the 10th. My goodness these deliver on the bass end and you guys thought a tiny 6mm dynamic can't deliver. I present to you the 10th anniversary. In using 2 micro dynamics in unison for the bass end. Bio dynamics for the win.

So this is how you do a proper v shaped tuning. The Penon way. These things are tuned to be more fun vs the more neutral leaning Fan2. It amazes me how big these little dynamics hit for bass on these. It rumbles like a champ on this track but beyond that. These clearly have Penons rich tonal characteristic house tuning. Treble is boosted a bit but not fatiguing at all as all Penons are. Nice wide stage they already sound excellent out of the box. I will be getting much more into what they sound like soon as more burn in ensues.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #9,065 of 13,881
graph_2.png

I wonder how stage is going to be VS FAN2 that 1.5k bump is Interesting?

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #9,066 of 13,881
graph_2.png
I wonder how stage is going to be VS FAN2 that 1.5k peak is Interesting?
I wouldn't call that a "peak." I think most people would consider that a "bump," or being "elevated," or "boosted."

Peaks in upper-mids is what I'm usually concerned about. Even then, it could just be the coupler making that frequency range spike up.

May 16, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #9,067 of 13,881

Bass test with the 10th. My goodness these deliver on the bass end and you guys thought a tiny 6mm dynamic can't deliver. I present to you the 10th anniversary. In using 2 micro dynamics it makes a whole lot of sense to separate the mid bass and the sub bass woofers. One handles the punch and the other delivers the rumble. Bio dynamics for the win.

So this is how you do a proper v shaped tuning. The Penon way. These things are tuned to be more fun vs the more neutral leaning Fan2. It amazes me how big these little dynamics hit for bass on these. It rumbles like a champ on this track but beyond that. These clearly have Penons rich tonal characteristic house tuning. Treble is boosted a bit but not fatiguing at all as all Penons are. Nice wide stage they already sound excellent out of the box. I will be getting much more into what they sound like soon as more burn in ensues.

I have a lot of questions but I'll wait for the full review. If possible (as a favor), please kindly include iBasso IT07's mid and sub bass comparison in the review since it is my baseline and most ideal/best sound both in quality and QUANTITY. Thanks!

For the sake of estimation, if I were to put Serial's Mid and Sub Bass quantity around 7/10 both in rumble and punch, what about the 10th (and maybe EST50 as well) so I could get a quick grasp. Thanks!

May 16, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #9,068 of 13,881

Bass test with the 10th. My goodness these deliver on the bass end and you guys thought a tiny 6mm dynamic can't deliver. I present to you the 10th anniversary. In using 2 micro dynamics it makes a whole lot of sense to separate the mid bass and the sub bass woofers. One handles the punch and the other delivers the rumble. Bio dynamics for the win.

I don't think anyone really said the DDs couldn't deliver on bass. I was just wondering if the small DDs were going to be enough for good rumbling and impact. Glad to hear it does on first impressions.

Some companies tune their IEMs to be bass-light, even though they have dual 10mm DDs. Looking at the Moondrop Blessing 3 for example. I'm happy Penon is able to unleash the bass with just dual 6mm DDs.

May 16, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #9,069 of 13,881

Cheers for the nuggets of information @Dsnuts! Sounds a lot like a refined version of Fan OG with all the fun and now technicalities? Or is it the Globe?

Also very delighted to hear that the sub and mid-bass are separated instead of relying on a single channel leaving mids BA and BA+EST treble to the other two. I must admit I like this design very much!

A little unknown fact (definitely not to you :smile:) where Mr. Hui shared with me sometime back is that the 10th doesn’t belong to Penon main line/brand of in-ears instead it’s under PAC label, just like the Fan OG and F2. Like many I’ve also inquire on the face plate. :sweat_smile: It appears that the 10th is an all in-house effort, hence the similarity and dissimilarity compared to the main line-up. It’s his/their best effort I was told and I appreciate that. After all beauty lies in the eye of the beholder!

May 17, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #9,070 of 13,881
As you can tell from @Dsnuts impressions the low end is there for people that want more sub & mid bass. At this point its no question that if you want rumble and punch similar to ISN lineup, this 10th has it in droves. As for the highs, the treble extension and air is there which is 2nd to the Impact (4EST) but cost 5x times. And from the FR graph posted by @ToneDeafMonk we can see its a V-Shaped sound signature but I want to focus more on the mids/vocals area.

Mid/Vocal Focus
What caught my attention during my initial impressions was the mids/vocal area when I listened tracks below:

It gave me a intial thought that it may be a W or mild U (this is before I saw the post production FR graph). The mids were so focused that female vocals sounded alluring especially Mika "Snowfall".

Then I moved on to Teddy Swims "Still the one". His husky and grit to his voice was smooth and hit the right soulful notes.

After listening to these tracks and similar ones in my library, I brought out my AüR Audio Aure which to many is the perfect mid focused/vocal IEM with its 1DD+6BA configuration to A/B test.

20230516_205712.jpg

What I found was Aure is still KING in the vocal/mids department. But the 10th is right behind it; though, the mids are slightly recessed in comparison to the Aure, its still beautifully tuned and balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

I look forward to more when its completely burned it but so far Rock/Metal/EDM/Hip Hop/Rap/Bass focused genres are optimal with Vocal/R&B/Jazz/Orchestra/OST/etc. right behind it.

EDIT: This is all stock BTW, no cable or tip rolling yet.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #9,071 of 13,881
I figured Penon deserves their own thread. Post your thoughts about the Orb Sphere. Their Cables. Penon stuff. All here. Will have much more to add soon.
Penon needs more marketing tbh

May 17, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #9,072 of 13,881
Re: the Bass
Sub, I can say a matured take on both the Orb and Globe
Sub and Mid, the bass rise is very good covering lowest and mid, and it's considerably high
and maybe Globe
Mid, this is the pop version of the Orb bass

I Love the Fan og tuning! One of those v shape like no other. That 15+khz boost is very promising. Globe amplitude in an est! Wohoo....
After numerous jigsaw-puzzling, I gave up - all FR graphs provided by Penon differs quite a bit from one another in scale making lining-up an impossible task :sweat_smile: Anyways here’s one I made comparing the 10th to Fan OG.

Green = 10th
Yellow = Fan OG
Note: Deep end of 10th starts at 118dB vs Fan 113dB :thumbsup:

3AB6BE86-8F7B-45FF-9B34-205AE1C5BDAC.jpeg

IMG_E2707.JPG

Edit: Serial added, bottom white / base 108dB

BBD3CE8E-8184-4AB8-8D3F-1D4BC986D4E4.jpeg

May 17, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #9,073 of 13,881
I have a lot of questions but I'll wait for the full review. If possible (as a favor), please kindly include iBasso IT07's mid and sub bass comparison in the review since it is my baseline and most ideal/best sound both in quality and QUANTITY. Thanks!

For the sake of estimation, if I were to put Serial's Mid and Sub Bass quantity around 7/10 both in rumble and punch, what about the 10th (and maybe EST50 as well) so I could get a quick grasp. Thanks!

I am going back n forth from the 10th to the IT07. IT07 has just a touch slower decay for its bass which makes it seem like it has more in the way of quantity for sub bass as its sub bass lingers just a hair more so than the 10th. Could be due to the stronger magnets of the IT07. But what is surprising is the 10th here does not sound like it has less sub bass when volume matched. To be fair I got the ISN G4 on the 10th which is a bass and mids boosting cable.

Mid bass seems like a very close match here as well in quantity. Quality wise I would say the IT07s strong magnets helps with its bass and tonal control and clearly is a top end hybrid. But you would be surprised just how close the 10th here manages its bass performance at half the price.

May 17, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #9,074 of 13,881
As you can tell from @Dsnuts impressions the low end is there for people that want more sub & mid bass. At this point its no question that if you want rumble and punch similar to ISN lineup, this 10th has it in droves. As for the highs, the treble extension and air is there which is 2nd to the Impact (4EST) but cost 5x times. And from the FR graph posted by @ToneDeafMonk we can see its a V-Shaped sound signature but I want to focus more on the mids/vocals area.

Mid/Vocal Focus
What caught my attention during my initial impressions was the mids/vocal area when I listened tracks below:

It gave me a intial thought that it may be a W or mild U (this is before I saw the post production FR graph). The mids were so focused that female vocals sounded alluring especially Mika "Snowfall".

Then I moved on to Teddy Swims "Still the one". His husky and grit to his voice was smooth and hit the right soulful notes.

After listening to these tracks and similar ones in my library, I brought out my AüR Audio Aure which to many is the perfect mid focused/vocal IEM with its 1DD+6BA configuration to A/B test.

20230516_205712.jpg

What I found was Aure is still KING in the vocal/mids department. But the 10th is right behind it; though, the mids are slightly recessed in comparison to the Aure, its still beautifully tuned and balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum.

I look forward to more when its completely burned it but so far Rock/Metal/EDM/Hip Hop/Rap/Bass focused genres are optimal with Vocal/R&B/Jazz/Orchestra/OST/etc. right behind it.

EDIT: This is all stock BTW, no cable or tip rolling yet.

Wow excellent news that's high praise 👏
I Am vocal lover so this is wonderfull impressions to reinforce my decision to blind buy.

Mine just shipped today!

May 17, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #9,075 of 13,881
Vocals do sound nice on the 10th. Mids on the 10th seems to be more neutral in emphasis vs being forward and too laid back. Its upper mid emphasis bodes well for female vocals or Dimash here that can sing his arse off. If you guys have never heard of this guy. You gotta check out this tune. Amazing performance. Once in a life time vocalist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back