The PENON official thread
May 17, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #9,076 of 14,142
Vocals do sound nice on the 10th. Mids on the 10th seems to be more neutral in emphasis vs being forward and too laid back. Its upper mid emphasis bodes well for female vocals or Dimash here that can sing his arse off. If you guys have never heard of this guy. You gotta check out this tune. Amazing performance. Once in a life time vocalist.

After the FAN2 I am worried nothing will match the Vocal prowess!

May 17, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #9,077 of 14,142

Bass test with the 10th. My goodness these deliver on the bass end and you guys thought a tiny 6mm dynamic can't deliver. I present to you the 10th anniversary. In using 2 micro dynamics it makes a whole lot of sense to separate the mid bass and the sub bass woofers. One handles the punch and the other delivers the rumble. Bio dynamics for the win.

So this is how you do a proper v shaped tuning. The Penon way. These things are tuned to be more fun vs the more neutral leaning Fan2. It amazes me how big these little dynamics hit for bass on these. It rumbles like a champ on this track but beyond that. These clearly have Penons rich tonal characteristic house tuning. Treble is boosted a bit but not fatiguing at all as all Penons are. Nice wide stage they already sound excellent out of the box. I will be getting much more into what they sound like soon as more burn in ensues.

I think what's happening is people are thinking the 2X DD drivers will replicate what people found with Fan 2 playback. When in fact the arraignment now with the 10th Anniversary is very different.
Vocals do sound nice on the 10th. Mids on the 10th seems to be more neutral in emphasis vs being forward and too laid back. Its upper mid emphasis bodes well for female vocals or Dimash here that can sing his arse off. If you guys have never heard of this guy. You gotta check out this tune. Amazing performance. Once in a life time vocalist.

You know I'm hearing the (new to me) Volt do the same style of vocals, simply not forward or too far back........interesting?

May 17, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #9,078 of 14,142
A competent tuner like Penon can manipulate the sound tuning and bring out a new model and each IEM is individual for what it can do. I am grateful that these guys can pull off different tunings but still have their foundational musical sound intact on all of it. This is the reason why having a few sets of Penon IEMs is never a bad thing.

May 17, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #9,079 of 14,142
Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #9,080 of 14,142
A competent tuner like Penon can manipulate the sound tuning and bring out a new model and each IEM is individual for what it can do. I am grateful that these guys can pull off different tunings but still have their foundational musical sound intact on all of it. This is the reason why having a few sets of Penon IEMs is never a bad thing.
Serial, Impact, 10th AE, & OG Fan. I would like a Volt but with a possible new Volt 2.0, Ill wait for that one. Heres to hoping itll be more forward with its mids like the Impact & have similar bass to 10th AE. Switches would also be nice. 😁

May 17, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #9,081 of 14,142
I've just ordered a Penon 10th Anniversary, looking forward to reviewing it. :ksc75smile:

May 17, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #9,082 of 14,142
I am going back n forth from the 10th to the IT07. IT07 has just a touch slower decay for its bass which makes it seem like it has more in the way of quantity for sub bass as its sub bass lingers just a hair more so than the 10th. Could be due to the stronger magnets of the IT07. But what is surprising is the 10th here does not sound like it has less sub bass when volume matched. To be fair I got the ISN G4 on the 10th which is a bass and mids boosting cable.

Mid bass seems like a very close match here as well in quantity. Quality wise I would say the IT07s strong magnets helps with its bass and tonal control and clearly is a top end hybrid. But you would be surprised just how close the 10th here manages its bass performance at half the price.
This is what I'm looking for! Thanks for checking!

If it's just a hair difference and a touch faster decay on the sub compared to IT07, this will hit the mark for my taste. My only gripe with IT07 anyway is how it focuses on imaging and resolution (which is totally totl imho since that is originally the "iBasso-approach"), but Penon tops it off with its musicality. Though the characteristics of its mid and sub is something I got stuck with and thinking it will be the same if I purchase the Volts. Now I'm guessing the 10th will be more fitting for my taste. But it's too early to tell, the 200-500 hours burn-in could still induce a drastic change, maybe it will be even on the same level.

May 17, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #9,083 of 14,142
@ehjie
We both love the Fan OG, such a tastefully done V shape set!

@Dsnuts
For the unacquainted (again not you 😆), Dimash with his exceptionally wide vocal range is highly popular with the Chinese crowd. I’m also quite certain you are familiar with Vitas, he’s the original goat! 😇

A perfect track to test out those treble implementation on the 10th!

Speaking bout Chinese (been meaning to share this for a while now), Chi Kong is a Hongkonger, technically Penon is a Hong Kong brand, a noteworthy distinction as compared to the other major players in that region which explains their tuning direction.

Cultural factors do have a subtle influence on consumers purchasing decision process and I believe it is the “western style” of tuning, a common denominator on why we are attracted to the brand.

I hope the above information helps.

/edit for clarity.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #9,084 of 14,142
@ehjie
We both love the Fan OG, such a tastefully done V shape set!
There's the Unsilver silver, then there's the Un V shape v shape. Wacky!!! :darthsmile:

@Dsnuts
For the unacquainted (again not you 😆), Dimash with his exceptionally wide vocal range is highly popular with the Chinese crowd. I’m also quite certain you are familiar with Vitas, he’s the original goat! 😇

A perfect track to test out those treble implementation on the 10th!

Speaking bout Chinese, Chi Kong is a Hongkonger/Cantonese, technically Penon is a Hong Kong brand, a noteworthy distinction as compared to the other major players in that region which explains their tuning direction. Cultural factors do have a subtle influence on consumers purchasing decision process. I hope the above information helps.

HK has been and still is a deep rooted trading hub. They're well versed on how tos, rather than instil. It's a positive attitude.

In other news, this pristinely engineered and produced album, Neutral, detailed, fast, nuanced
Bass Grand Master Geddy's unmistakable falsetto, mildly gravely voice, those bass lines, strings, fantastic percussion would be a very nice
litmus for the 10th...
BRVDo.png

Construction dust settled as well as some mild sandstorm passed, they're definitely Inbound.
Late night news from the desert, most probably coming in later.
but nonetheless incomings...
PA-10-B.jpg
voc.jpg
vrtx.png.jpg

May 17, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #9,085 of 14,142
My oh my.....................

It's been seven days of burn-in and I just joined the Volt with the Totem.

What??????

The Penon Volt/Totem Cable:

The answers to all your burning questions is yes, gloriously yes. What? You want itemizations on specific points…..well OK, I’m game. A more fluid Volt, a bigger staged Volt. A more expanded and cohesive Volt. Images become bigger and of more vibrancy into formation. Pace besides being fluid has a blacker background which enhances everything, everything, everything…….I will repeat everything. Guitars have this crunchy tone only because that tone has always been there only we were never so close to it. It was never so big……so traveling inside its like entering a building with this furniture that is simply closer and farther away, yet we can experience it up close and in detail. Is detail a big part of this new sound? It probably is, only it’s at a point (to be seen) so close you don’t look at as detail anymore. Even though that’s what it is. Detail becomes true timbre/reality to behold and ponder. I could maybe spend way more time with this, except maybe you have dishes to wash, and I have made my point. It’s simply bouncy love, unforgettable romance one step above musicality.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #9,086 of 14,142
There's the Unsilver silver, then there's the Un V shape v shape. Wacky!!! :darthsmile:

HK has been and still is a deep rooted trading hub. They're well versed on how tos, rather than instil. It's a positive attitude.

In other news, this pristinely engineered and produced album, Neutral, detailed, fast, nuanced
Bass Grand Master Geddy's unmistakable falsetto, mildly gravely voice, those bass lines, strings, fantastic percussion would be a very nice
litmus for the 10th...

Construction dust settled as well as some mild sandstorm passed, they're definitely Inbound.

My only two silver cables from Penon - Neo and Flow, borh eccentric, play nice with Fan too!

Will check the album out with Vortex later on. :L3000:

I look forward to your thoughts soon!

My oh my.....................

It's been seven days of burn-in and I just joined the Volt with the Totem.

What??????

The Penon Volt/Totem Cable:

The answers to all your burning questions is yes, gloriously yes. What? You want itemizations on specific points…..well OK, I’m game. A more fluid Volt, a bigger staged Volt. A more expanded and cohesive Volt. Images become bigger and of more vibrancy into formation. Pace besides fluid and has a blacker background which enhances everything, everything, everything…….I will repeat everything. Guitars have this crunchy tone only because that tone has always been there only we were never so close to it. It was never so big……so traveling inside its like entering a building with this furniture that is simply closer and farther away, yet we can experience it up close and in detail. Is detail a big part of this new sound? It probably is, only it’s at a point (to be seen) so close you don’t look at as detail anymore. Even though that’s what it is. Detail becomes true timbre/reality to behold and ponder. I could maybe spend way more time with this, except maybe you have dishes to wash, and I have made my point. It’s simply bouncy love, unforgettable romance one step above musicality.

Yes, dog to walk and dishes to do…

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #9,087 of 14,142
PXL_20230516_224248379.MP~2.jpg

Got my Penon Fan 2s on ToneDeafMonk's recommendation (also, thanks for the code :thumbsup:). I love the sound of these, I find I'll throw on tunes and just get pulled into them. The Mids are totally different (and more amazing) than ANY other set of headphones I have, and whomever compared these to old school speakers is DEAD ON. Also, the bass is spot on, yes it's not Basshead craziness, but it rumbles when needed and adds warmth when rumble is not needed. My only slight complaint is the Treble, I NEVER thought I'd be saying this, but I need more treble... Not too much, but just enough to even out the mids. Other than that there are top teir headphones for sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on cables that might help with the treble issue? Is there such a thing?

May 17, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #9,088 of 14,142

Got my Penon Fan 2s on ToneDeafMonk's recommendation (also, thanks for the code :thumbsup:). I love the sound of these, I find I'll throw on tunes and just get pulled into them. The Mids are totally different (and more amazing) than ANY other set of headphones I have, and whomever compared these to old school speakers is DEAD ON. Also, the bass is spot on, yes it's not Basshead craziness, but it rumbles when needed and adds warmth when rumble is not needed. My only slight complaint is the Treble, I NEVER thought I'd be saying this, but I need more treble... Not too much, but just enough to even out the mids. Other than that there are top teir headphones for sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on cables that might help with the treble issue? Is there such a thing?
Super happy to hear you are enjoying the F2.
For a more pronounced energy in the highs add a high content silver cable like the ISN S2, For modular
https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-s2.html the
KBEAR C$ 32.53 | KBEAR Glaze 4 Core High Purity OFC Silver-plated Cable For MMCX/2PIN/QDC Connector In ear Monitor KBEAR Aurora INK Earphone iem
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msctOeg
or my favorite wastheis one added both the bottom and tip end and brings out vocals even smoother.
The XINHS C$ 70.29 28%OFF | XINHSEarphones Line Gold Silver Mixed Replacement Upgrade Cable MMCX 2Pin 4 Core Single Crystal Copper HIFI Audio Headphone Wire
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMio11E

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #9,089 of 14,142
Just purchased 10th AE 🎶😁
My first Penon IEM and cannot wait!
Don’t know if anyone can remember but i got scammed out of £400 a couple of weeks ago buying a Volt in the Classified! Anyway long story short got my money back and due to the 10th AE being more my tuning decided to buy it instead of Volt? Hopefully made the right decision and cannot wait to hear this famous Penon House Sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back