The PENON official thread
May 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #9,091 of 14,142
Would be Penon Fan 2 be a good match for female vocals like Adele, Birdy etc.? Any other good advices?

Thx
Just replied to you in PM and to answer this question is most definitely a yes by far my favorite for female vocals and male as well both done exceptional.
Halsey, Janice Joplin, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Lorde, Melisa Ethridge, Ella Fitzgerald ♥️

May 17, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #9,092 of 14,142
PXL_20230516_224248379.MP~2.jpg

Got my Penon Fan 2s on ToneDeafMonk's recommendation (also, thanks for the code :thumbsup:). I love the sound of these, I find I'll throw on tunes and just get pulled into them. The Mids are totally different (and more amazing) than ANY other set of headphones I have, and whomever compared these to old school speakers is DEAD ON. Also, the bass is spot on, yes it's not Basshead craziness, but it rumbles when needed and adds warmth when rumble is not needed. My only slight complaint is the Treble, I NEVER thought I'd be saying this, but I need more treble... Not too much, but just enough to even out the mids. Other than that there are top teir headphones for sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on cables that might help with the treble issue? Is there such a thing?

+1 for silver cable. Narrow bore tips like the Tanchjim T-APB T300 treble tips may help too (sold together with the bass tips). They run true to size for me. But with the Fan 2, get a size smaller if you need deeper insertion.

IMG_5971.jpeg

May 17, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #9,093 of 14,142
PXL_20230516_224248379.MP~2.jpg

Got my Penon Fan 2s on ToneDeafMonk's recommendation (also, thanks for the code :thumbsup:). I love the sound of these, I find I'll throw on tunes and just get pulled into them. The Mids are totally different (and more amazing) than ANY other set of headphones I have, and whomever compared these to old school speakers is DEAD ON. Also, the bass is spot on, yes it's not Basshead craziness, but it rumbles when needed and adds warmth when rumble is not needed. My only slight complaint is the Treble, I NEVER thought I'd be saying this, but I need more treble... Not too much, but just enough to even out the mids. Other than that there are top teir headphones for sure... Does anyone have any recommendations on cables that might help with the treble issue? Is there such a thing?
With my Fan 2, I used the obisidan modular cable.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-obsidian.html
Nice pairing but a little more expensive.

May 17, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #9,094 of 14,142
Damn folks dont know if it was the overnight of burn in. I am certian of it. The cohesion is now very fluid. That stage that was wide seems wider and I might have found a perfect match for the 10th cable wise. I had the ISN G4 on hand and it was the first cable I tried on there and it stayed on there. Gives a bit of a boost for mids, bass and its imaging. Love this combo thus far.

They sound even better this morning than when I heard them last night for certain. Burn in is for real folks.

May 17, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #9,095 of 14,142
I'm curious to see how the 10th will sound next to the Sound Rhyme DTE500... they're both very similar driver configurations, and price points. 10th just does DD w/two 6mm's, and DTE is the one 10mm. Also DTE has Knowles BA where 10th is all Sonion. Should be a fun comparo....

May 17, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #9,096 of 14,142

Mmm i initially was fascinated too but the missing highs also with Isn S2 cable and wide bore tips ( and also the fit problem for me) made me sold them.. take something else with highs don't hope to have correct highs from fan2. But for electronic metal music will be great.

May 17, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #9,099 of 14,142
As I burn in my Penon Fan 2's, it clear these are an excellent IEM and with an excellent stock cable. Mid-bass is very textured and impactful considering the 6mm DD driver. Sub-bass is OK, maybe it will open up more as it burns in more. Really high level tuning, particularly for vocals. Great use of both the Sonion and Knowles BA's. I am impressed. Hidden gem.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #9,100 of 14,142
Damn folks dont know if it was the overnight of burn in. I am certian of it. The cohesion is now very fluid. That stage that was wide seems wider and I might have found a perfect match for the 10th cable wise. I had the ISN G4 on hand and it was the first cable I tried on there and it stayed on there. Gives a bit of a boost for mids, bass and its imaging. Love this combo thus far.

They sound even better this morning than when I heard them last night for certain. Burn in is for real folks.
Totem, Solar, Flow, GC4, Obsidian, G4, Space, Vocal, you’ve a lot of cables for any wallet to try with 10th AE iem💪🏻

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #9,101 of 14,142

DD requires burn in for sure to loosen up the woofer, I read ESTs also needs it. Not so much BAs but I have 50 hours of burn in time tonight.
I'm curious to see how the 10th will sound next to the Sound Rhyme DTE500... they're both very similar driver configurations, and price points. 10th just does DD w/two 6mm's, and DTE is the one 10mm. Also DTE has Knowles BA where 10th is all Sonion. Should be a fun comparo....
Lows
10th > DTE500

Mids
10th > DTE500

Highs
10th ≠ DTE500
Totem, Solar, Flow, GC4, Obsidian, G4, Space, Vocal, you’ve a lot of cables for any wallet to try with 10th AE iem💪🏻
Thats what going to start with tonight.

Per @Dsnuts:
  • Silver for its highest transparency and stage enhancing.
  • Gold for that rich tone and depth.
  • Palladium for that remarkable imaging and detail.
  • Copper for body and warmth.
20230517_174441.jpg

Penon Vocal has to be the first to see if we can take the mids from neutral to forward. If you want a gaudy combo, Vocal & 10th is the one.

20230517_180332.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #9,102 of 14,142
DD requires burn in for sure to loosen up the woofer, I read ESTs also needs it. Not so much BAs but I have 50 hours of burn in time tonight.

Lows
10th > DTE500

Mids
10th > DTE500

Highs
10th ≠ DTE500

Thats what going to start with tonight.

Damn, that is very encouraging. How about soundstage between the 10th & DTE500?

May 17, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #9,104 of 14,142
Penon Vocal has to be the first to see if we can take the mids from neutral to forward. If you want a gaudy combo, Vocal & 10th is the one.

20230517_180332.jpg
:smile:

I can't imagine myself ever rocking this combo out in public. Must sound awesome though.

May 18, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #9,105 of 14,142
My only two silver cables from Penon, Neo and Flow, the eccentric duo!
Will check out the album too with Vortex later.
This should be easy peasey on them...

My oh my.....................

It's been seven days of burn-in and I just joined the Volt with the Totem.

What??????

The Penon Volt/Totem Cable:

The answers to all your burning questions is yes, gloriously yes. What? You want itemizations on specific points…..well OK, I’m game. A more fluid Volt, a bigger staged Volt. A more expanded and cohesive Volt. Images become bigger and of more vibrancy into formation. Pace besides fluid and has a blacker background which enhances everything, everything, everything…….I will repeat everything. Guitars have this crunchy tone only because that tone has always been there only we were never so close to it. It was never so big……so traveling inside its like entering a building with this furniture that is simply closer and farther away, yet we can experience it up close and in detail. Is detail a big part of this new sound? It probably is, only it’s at a point (to be seen) so close you don’t look at as detail anymore. Even though that’s what it is. Detail becomes true timbre/reality to behold and ponder.
Spot on as always. Will just get more real, better overall over time., including that top end. May not be up to everyone's amplitude, very well done nonetheless.

1684384521695.png

Mine just had its birthday, being an edc since day 1, easy to say had 1,000+ hours play time, and yet never cease to amaze...

IMG_E3829.JPG

I could maybe spend way more time with this, except maybe you have dishes to wash, and I have made my point. It’s simply bouncy love, unforgettable romance one step above musicality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back