The PENON official thread
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #4,456 of 13,888
That plus greater detail retrieval.

@Penon
Wish list for the to be released single dynamic:

- The usual : Great bass, mids and treble
- Huge soundstage : Perhaps a semi-open design / large driver ?
- Massive detail retrieval yet musical
- Translucent shell
- 4 core OS449 / Orbit Jr. / Fiery Jr.
And for future releases, if the wish list can grow.... for me the Serial is perfect in bass and mids. I haven't (and possibly never will) try the Vision Ears EXT, but I think that would be the perfect setup for me. A double DD for lows and mids, and some ESTs for highs, with Penon tuning would be great.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #4,457 of 13,888
The whole day was plugged onto the pc. 1000-1900 sometimes more, from 05 dec.2021 onwards, Of course, I'd listen from time to time, Ok most of the time, lol.
Then there's the travel, going home, that's about 45 minutes - 1+ hour.
I have to come clean here, I really enjoyed the Serial, i just realised, I was past the 700 hour mark!
After the 150 hour weathering, that's about Christmas time, the Bass cleared out, cleaned, defined.
By the time I passed 200, Mids got decongested, again clearly defined.
After 300, everything opened up, like an open air venue.
After the 400 hour mark (end of January) I got lost in the music, lol.
Everything turned out to be a coherent whole, all notes sync when they should.

Last month 04-11 Feb. No Music during this time, I got the "Flu", supposed to be the 600th hour passed for the month of Feb, but never achieved that target.
Hence, I mentioned 500 hours..
Wherever I am - work space, indoors, metro, walking, the Serial's consistent performer:
Large sound field- elliptical 360° 3d effect surround imaging, very high and wide, Big bass, excellent mids, very good treble, brighter and more resolving than the Globe (as a reference).

If some would remember, this set was being discussed, pre-Serial days. This was in my wish list. 85% came through. That's a very high mark for a usd.299 set!!!
Staggering!
As @rawbine mentioned recently, an "almost perfect" IN EAR Headphone, I'd tend to agree.
I'd wish for more air and resolution on the upper treble - then this would be Perfect* - please Note this is not a snag, nor this is not even a CON per se. (more like a wip comment for the next revision of some sort)
I'd like to hear this in the next iteration.
- Thank you very much @Penon !

*It's the H50's weathering sessions currently on-going.
That air, crispiness, sparkle and absolute resolving power up top IS very admirable, indeed!
These properties extend from upper mids up to the upper treble, thus give those voices, a very realistic "grasping for air"...

This is a truly epic journey!

I stopped counting after 150-200 hours and probably added another 150-200 hours to it since, but that’s about all. Otherwise I’d never get any work done…

Listening to the Serial today with the N3 Pro and what a fine pairing it is. The N3P is too warm for some of the other Penons but the Serial is “flat” enough to be just perfect with it. It’s really exhilarating to hear what the Serial does with the gobs of power from its 4.4 balanced output (even the tubes can wait another day). Superb authority and control in the low end, fully realised treble and immaculate mids as always.

I literally lost an hour of my time there.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,458 of 13,888
Do you guys think it is correct to say that the Serial, by far, is the most praised and positively received product of Penon, even including the likes of Legend? Just my observation ever since owning the Orb, and eventually the Fan, Globe, and Sphere.

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #4,459 of 13,888
This is a truly epic journey!

I stopped counting after 150-200 hours and probably added another 150-200 hours to it since, but that’s about all. Otherwise I’d never get any work done…

Listening to the Serial today with the N3 Pro and what a fine pairing it is. The N3P is too warm for some of the other Penons but the Serial is “flat” enough to be just perfect with it. It’s really exhilarating to hear what the Serial does with the gobs of power from its 4.4 balanced output (even the tubes can wait another day). Superb authority and control in the low end, fully realised treble and immaculate mids as always.

I literally lost an hour of my time there.
Nice comments, thank you. I noticed you have UM 3DT in your signature? I have one ordered, expect to receive this week. How do 3DT and Serial compare in your experience?

Mar 8, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #4,460 of 13,888
Do you guys think it is correct to say that the Serial, by far, is the most praised and positively received product of Penon, even including the likes of Legend? Just my observation ever since owning the Orb, and eventually the Fan, Globe, and Sphere.
I dont know if it is the most popular, they certainly are the newest product from Penon not to mention more affordable compared to their flagships. Much like all the Penon made earphones. You would expect consistency and workmanship with excellent tuning and that is what you get with the Serial. It also happens to be a triple dynamic which are rare and unique in the industry.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #4,461 of 13,888
The whole day was plugged onto the pc. 1000-1900 sometimes more, from 05 dec.2021 onwards, Of course, I'd listen from time to time, Ok most of the time, lol.
Then there's the travel, going home, that's about 45 minutes - 1+ hour.
I have to come clean here, I really enjoyed the Serial, i just realised, I was past the 700 hour mark!
After the 150 hour weathering, that's about Christmas time, the Bass cleared out, cleaned, defined.
By the time I passed 200, Mids got decongested, again clearly defined.
After 300, everything opened up, like an open air venue.
After the 400 hour mark (end of January) I got lost in the music, lol.
Everything turned out to be a coherent whole, all notes sync when they should.

Last month 04-11 Feb. No Music during this time, I got the "Flu", supposed to be the 600th hour passed for the month of Feb, but never achieved that target.
Hence, I mentioned 500 hours..
Wherever I am - work space, indoors, metro, walking, the Serial's consistent performer:
Large sound field- elliptical 360° 3d effect surround imaging, very high and wide, Big bass, excellent mids, very good treble, brighter and more resolving than the Globe (as a reference).

If some would remember, this set was being discussed, pre-Serial days. This was in my wish list. 85% came through. That's a very high mark for a usd.299 set!!!
Staggering!
As @rawbine mentioned recently, an "almost perfect" IN EAR Headphone, I'd tend to agree.
I'd wish for more air and resolution on the upper treble - then this would be Perfect* - please Note this is not a snag, nor this is not even a CON per se. (more like a wip comment for the next revision of some sort)
I'd like to hear this in the next iteration.
- Thank you very much @Penon !

*It's the H50's weathering sessions currently on-going.
That air, crispiness, sparkle and absolute resolving power up top IS very admirable, indeed!
These properties extend from upper mids up to the upper treble, thus give those voices, a very realistic "grasping for air"...

This is very interesting. Seems i have some burning in to do. This does not surprise me given there are three DD drivers

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #4,462 of 13,888
Nice comments, thank you. I noticed you have UM 3DT in your signature? I have one ordered, expect to receive this week. How do 3DT and Serial compare in your experience?

Hmmm I was going to link you to a comparison I posted earlier but can’t find it anymore for some reason. Anyway, no matter.

Serial vs 3DT

Both are extremely coherent. In terms of tuning I would say they complement each other, with 3DT being focused more on upper mids and Serial on lower mids.

3DT does well with classical, jazz and anything with acoustic instruments, but once vocals come into the mix, it’s advantage Serial all the way. Serial is also the better generalist.

Serial’s bass extends lower, way lower. With burn in, it is also now much more textured and controlled than when it was new. It has a quite astonishing sub bass, but one that is also very well controlled and which you might never realise was there if your music didn’t actually call for it.

3DT hits harder and faster - this is the one to reach for if you need attack and speed - you will hear the difference with percussion and piano.

But if you have a busy mix with a lot of upper mids and treble going on - singers, guitars, drummer showing off on cymbals - then the Serial is going to be able to handle it better.

In terms of treble, the 3DT is the more overtly detailed of the two - its lower treble makes it a much more vivid and detailed listen at first glance. Fresh out of the box, Serial may come across as a bit dark in comparison. Coming from the 3DT, I found myself wanting more sparkle and air on top. But the Serial has opened up so much since. It extends much better now and when driven properly, the air and shimmer up top simply completes the picture.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #4,463 of 13,888
Hmmm I was going to link you to a comparison I posted earlier but can’t find it anymore for some reason. Anyway, no matter.

Serial vs 3DT

Both are extremely coherent. In terms of tuning I would say they complement each other, with 3DT being focused more on upper mids and Serial on lower mids and bass.

3DT does well with classical, jazz and anything with acoustic instruments, but once vocals come into the mix, it’s advantage Serial all the way. Serial is also the better generalist.

Serial’s bass extends lower, way lower. With burn in, it is also now much more textured and controlled than when it was new. It has a quite astonishing sub bass, but one that is also very well controlled and which you might never realise was there if your music didn’t actually call for it.

3DT slams harder and faster - this is the one to reach for if you need attack and speed - you will hear the difference with percussion and piano.

But if you have a busy mix with a lot of upper mids and treble going on - singers, guitars, drummer showing off on cymbals - then the Serial is going to be able to handle it better.

In terms of treble, the 3DT is the more overtly detailed of the two - its lower treble makes it a much more vivid and detailed listen at first glance. Fresh out of the box, Serial may come across as a bit dark in comparison. Coming from the 3DT, I found myself wanting more sparkle and air on top. But the Serial has opened up so much since. It extends much better now and when driven properly, the air and shimmer up top simply completes the picture.
@-rowan- that is an outstanding comparison , thank you. 3DT arrives this week and if I enjoy the 3 dynamic config. as much as I expect and want a different flavor, now I know just where to turn! Thanks again, very helpful.

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #4,464 of 13,888
A bit of divergence here. But I am contemplating a 2 channel or 2.1 system for a medium sized room about 15 x 15. Would love to get some opinions on brands or even specific model speakers bookshelf or full sized that you folks would liken to the Penon sound signature; specifically, the Volt.

Mar 9, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #4,465 of 13,888

Serial vs 3DT

Both are extremely coherent. In terms of tuning I would say they complement each other, with 3DT being focused more on upper mids and Serial on lower mids and bass.

3DT slams harder and faster - this is the one to reach for if you need attack and speed - you will hear the difference with percussion and piano.

thanks for the comparison, I was debating between the Serial and 3DT and end up ordering the Serial last week. Based on your description, maybe a silver cable can help close the gap to 3DT in terms of attacks and treble air and sparkle.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #4,466 of 13,888
A bit of divergence here. But I am contemplating a 2 channel or 2.1 system for a medium sized room about 15 x 15. Would love to get some opinions on brands or even specific model speakers bookshelf or full sized that you folks would liken to the Penon sound signature; specifically, the Volt.

YU6 ought to do it.
The smaller pair (YU2) is the Orb equivalent...
IMG_20220310_090430.jpg

https://www.kantoaudio.com/powered-speakers/yu6/

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_090347.jpg
    IMG_20220310_090347.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #4,467 of 13,888

If we could count the discussion pages, the Orb gained the most popularity during its time. It's still very relevant up to this time. Without the Orb, Sphere and even the Fan
most probably there wouldn't be Globe and Serial.
But then again, even if All of Penon's releases have their excellent mids as the common denominator, tuning varies from model to model, with the Volt representing the best of in terms of dd sets...
6+1.png

(Cousin H50 as guest in the lineup)

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #4,468 of 13,888
thanks for the comparison, I was debating between the Serial and 3DT and end up ordering the Serial last week. Based on your description, maybe a silver cable can help close the gap to 3DT in terms of attacks and treble air and sparkle.
I’m unsure how close the gap would be but by pairing the Serial with Neo, I’d get better speed, air, sparkles and vividness compared to say Mix or Flow. The tilt of emphasis however will impact that gorgeous bass end resulting to an even more reference sounding sound signature.

Mar 10, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #4,469 of 13,888
3DT arrived, won't stray off topic in Penon thread but 1st impressions are excellent, much as @-rowan- described. Serial, 3DT I suspect are both superb and validate the 3 dynamic approach!

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #4,470 of 13,888
I brought the Os849 today intended for the Serial. Will share later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back