The PENON official thread
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #4,441 of 14,160
IMG_20220307_134839-01.jpegSerials have landed 🙂
First listen, these don't give the EST50, a run for their money.... and yet, these hold you on. Smooth mids....
Now to start burn-in..

Congrats
Give it 500 hours. Bass is epic, approaching flagship competition level Mids and one of the best treble out there, without going over board.
Very high and wide, Surround sound imaging...

Mar 7, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #4,443 of 14,160
Congrats
Give it 500 hours. Bass is epic, approaching flagship competition level Mids and one of the best treble out there, without going over board.

The Cayin RU6, a new toy I recently purchased, paired with the Serial brings out the depth plus added a bit of width.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #4,444 of 14,160
IMG_20220307_134839-01.jpegSerials have landed 🙂
First listen, these don't give the EST50, a run for their money.... and yet, these hold you on. Smooth mids....
Now to start burn-in..
hey @DB75 when did you order this? ordered mine 1 week ago and have no idea except it states shipment information sent to FedEx.

btw, any suggestion on cable upgrade? I normally prefer pure copper instead of plated silver.

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #4,445 of 14,160
Congrats
500H burnin?!?!? i didn't burn/listen anything that much Bro :)

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #4,446 of 14,160
hey @DB75 when did you order this? ordered mine 1 week ago and have no idea except it states shipment information sent to FedEx.

btw, any suggestion on cable upgrade? I normally prefer pure copper instead of plated silver.
The stock cable is very good. It's not like other iems in that they pull any brand name cables. In this case it is very well chosen.
PAC480 is an excellent upgrade. It adds weight and a little more warmth to the notes, particularly in bass. I particularly have it now with the ISN G4. It maintains the texture of the bass, giving it a bit more body (not as much as the PAC480) and improves a bit the separation of the instruments and clarity. Both are half pure copper, and half silver-plated copper, with the addition of graphene in the G4. They are currently very well priced. Other fellows have been speaking wonders of the HanSound Nyx recently.

Mar 7, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,447 of 14,160
Congrats

The Serial may be a slower burn but certainly not 500 hours slow! :o2smile: The bass should tighten up before long although from memory it took a while more for the treble to open up.

The stock cable is very good. It's not like other iems in that they pull any brand name cables. In this case it is very well chosen.
PAC480 is an excellent upgrade. It adds weight and a little more warmth to the notes, particularly in bass.

Stock cable is excellent and well matched with the Serial - its synergy is so good you’d be hard pressed to find an upgrade without paying quite a bit more.

Agree with the PAC480 rec. I have Penon Fiery for pure copper, but for the Serial I prefer PAC480, which is a steal at $50 & is one of the very few lower-priced cables that actually improves on stock.

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #4,448 of 14,160
Congrats
I’d call that unparalleled commitment to the hobby! :L3000:

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #4,449 of 14,160
500H burnin?!?!? i didn't burn/listen anything that much Bro :)
The whole day was plugged onto the pc. 1000-1900 sometimes more, from 05 dec.2021 onwards, Of course, I'd listen from time to time, Ok most of the time, lol.
Then there's the travel, going home, that's about 45 minutes - 1+ hour.
I have to come clean here, I really enjoyed the Serial, i just realised, I was past the 700 hour mark!
After the 150 hour weathering, that's about Christmas time, the Bass cleared out, cleaned, defined.
By the time I passed 200, Mids got decongested, again clearly defined.
After 300, everything opened up, like an open air venue.
After the 400 hour mark (end of January) I got lost in the music, lol.
Everything turned out to be a coherent whole, all notes sync when they should.

Last month 04-11 Feb. No Music during this time, I got the "Flu", supposed to be the 600th hour passed for the month of Feb, but never achieved that target.
Hence, I mentioned 500 hours..
Wherever I am - work space, indoors, metro, walking, the Serial's consistent performer:
Large sound field- elliptical 360° 3d effect surround imaging, very high and wide, Big bass, excellent mids, very good treble, brighter and more resolving than the Globe (as a reference).

If some would remember, this set was being discussed, pre-Serial days. This was in my wish list. 85% came through. That's a very high mark for a usd.299 set!!!
Staggering!
As @rawbine mentioned recently, an "almost perfect" IN EAR Headphone, I'd tend to agree.
I'd wish for more air and resolution on the upper treble - then this would be Perfect* - please Note this is not a snag, nor this is not even a CON per se. (more like a wip comment for the next revision of some sort)
I'd like to hear this in the next iteration.
- Thank you very much @Penon !

*It's the H50's weathering sessions currently on-going.
That air, crispiness, sparkle and absolute resolving power up top IS very admirable, indeed!
These properties extend from upper mids up to the upper treble, thus give those voices, a very realistic "grasping for air"...

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #4,450 of 14,160
And I only burned in my set for about 200 hours. Needs another 300! Actually with listening time more like 200 more.
1646680904569.png
:slight_frown:

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,451 of 14,160
The whole day was plugged onto the pc. 1000-1900 sometimes more, from 05 dec.2021 onwards, Of course, I'd listen from time to time, Ok most of the time, lol.
Then there's the travel, going home, that's about 45 minutes - 1+ hour.
I have to come clean here, I really enjoyed the Serial, i just realised, I was past the 700 hour mark!
After the 150 hour weathering, that's about Christmas time, the Bass cleared out, cleaned, defined.
By the time I passed 200, Mids got decongested, again clearly defined.
After 300, everything opened up, like an open air venue.
After the 400 hour mark (end of January) I got lost in the music, lol.
Everything turned out to be a coherent whole, all notes sync when they should.

Last month 04-11 Feb. No Music during this time, I got the "Flu", supposed to be the 600th hour passed for the month of Feb, but never achieved that target.
Hence, I mentioned 500 hours..
Wherever I am - work space, indoors, metro, walking, the Serial's consistent performer:
Large sound field- elliptical 360° 3d effect surround imaging, very high and wide, Big bass, excellent mids, very good treble, brighter and more resolving than the Globe (as a reference).

If some would remember, this set was being discussed, pre-Serial days. This was in my wish list. 85% came through. That's a very high mark for a usd.299 set!!!
Staggering!
As @rawbine mentioned recently, an "almost perfect" IN EAR Headphone, I'd tend to agree.
I'd wish for more air and resolution on the upper treble - then this would be Perfect* - please Note this is not a snag, nor this is not even a CON per se. (more like a wip comment for the next revision of some sort)
I'd like to hear this in the next iteration.
- Thank you very much @Penon !

*It's the H50's weathering sessions currently on-going.
That air, crispiness, sparkle and absolute resolving power up top IS very admirable, indeed!
These properties extend from upper mids up to the upper treble, thus give those voices, a very realistic "grasping for air"...
Fantastic post, thank you @ehjie
Can you compare Serial to HS1670ss?

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #4,452 of 14,160
Fantastic post, thank you @ehjie
Can you compare Serial to HS1670ss?
NOW, we're talking.
1670 - Mid bass focused-epic, analogue Mids, airy, crispy, sparkly treble. Large sound field - larger than the Serial especially depth. scale of imaging is relatively same.
Acoustune's holographic presentation is front and around the head. So, more circular as opposed to the Serial's elliptical.
Serial - Sub bass-epic, sorry 1600 series - Penon Mids is still the ruler here. Treble-Not as airy, crispy, sparkly and not as resolving but there is more body here, more macro than micro (low level details, decay and nuance covered by the treble range)
Very easy value to performance is twice than I'd pay for, considering the 1600 Acoustunes were the former flagship after all...

Mar 8, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #4,453 of 14,160
As @rawbine mentioned recently, an "almost perfect" IN EAR Headphone, I'd tend to agree. I'd wish for more air and resolution on the upper treble - then this would be Perfect*
That plus greater detail retrieval.

@Penon
Wish list for the to be released single dynamic:

- The usual : Great bass, mids and treble
- Huge soundstage : Perhaps a semi-open design / large driver ?
- Massive detail retrieval yet musical
- Translucent shell
- 4 core OS449 / Orbit Jr. / Fiery Jr.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #4,454 of 14,160
That plus greater detail retrieval.

@Penon
Wish list for the to be released single dynamic:

- The usual : Great bass, PENON mids and treble
- Huge soundstage : Perhaps a semi-open design / large driver ?
Operable panels, I really like them sealed. Serial is a great success for me...
- Massive detail retrieval yet musical
- Translucent shell
a la Orb =
1646732891660.png

- 4 core OS449 / Orbit Jr. / Fiery Jr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back