The PENON official thread
Mar 3, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #4,426 of 14,143
I am interested in the Penon Leo pure silver, but on Penon website today noted it is not available with 4.4 balanced connector to source. Emailed Penon, awaiting response but thought I'd tap into the collective knowledge of this thread as well.: Does anyone know if this is a permanent situation or just a current stock issue?
Betcha they’ll offer to make for you

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #4,427 of 14,143
I am interested in the Penon Leo pure silver, but on Penon website today noted it is not available with 4.4 balanced connector to source. Emailed Penon, awaiting response but thought I'd tap into the collective knowledge of this thread as well.: Does anyone know if this is a permanent situation or just a current stock issue?

I believe they can build a 4.4mm terminated Leo for you...
https://twitter.com/PenonAudio
https://penonaudio.com/penon-leo.html

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #4,428 of 14,143
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #4,429 of 14,143
Thanks @ehjie and @morndewey for responding. Unfortunately, their response was to recommend I purchase a Penon Flow which is pure silver, available in 4.4 balanced BUT considerably more expensive. A bit disappointing but understandable. I guess even the good companies try to upsell. :money_with_wings:

Another alternative @ a lesser cost: usd.278.90, and you get the tried and tested Totem pigtail IC.
https://penonaudio.com/penon-leo.html (2.5mm)
https://penonaudio.com/penon-totem-audio-cable.html (2.5 F to 4.4mm M)

I have Leo, Leo plus and the Totem pigtail.
The Flow should be better than the 2 Leos...

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #4,430 of 14,143
Thanks @ehjie and @morndewey for responding. Unfortunately, their response was to recommend I purchase a Penon Flow which is pure silver, available in 4.4 balanced BUT considerably more expensive. A bit disappointing but understandable. I guess even the good companies try to upsell. :money_with_wings:
Another great alternative at the same price, from the other brand of the same manufacturer, is the ISN AG8, of which I have heard wonders, but I do not have it to give you a reliable opinion. https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-ag8.html

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,431 of 14,143
I have Leo, Leo plus and the Totem pigtail.
The Flow should be better than the 2 Leos...

I have the Leo and Flow (as well as the Totem pigtail) and they certainly sound quite different. No idea how they differ inside, each supposedly being pure silver, but to me, the Leo is very extended but more airy, and the Flow is more a firehose of sound that lets everything through. If you’re still keen on the Leo, an adapter might be the way to go, Totem or otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #4,432 of 14,143
I have the Leo and Flow (as well as the Totem pigtail) and they certainly sound quite different. No idea how they differ inside, each supposedly being pure silver, but to me, the Leo is very extended but more airy, and the Flow is more a firehose of sound that lets everything through. If you’re still keen on the Leo, an adapter might be the way to go, Totem or otherwise.
Question about the Flow: Does the sleeving make the cable much thicker and thus difficult to store the IEM's in a standard sized case?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,434 of 14,143
I put my Flow and Legend in a case that is 3x4 and about 1 1/5" tall and there's extra room in it. I don't feel it is stiff or microphonic....

Mar 5, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #4,435 of 14,143
Question about the Flow: Does the sleeving make the cable much thicker and thus difficult to store the IEM's in a standard sized case?
I was able to store it in Noble-sized pelican case. A bit stuffed but ok. However, in my experience, Flow is stiff, on the bulky side, and microphonic.

Yes, it makes Flow bulkier than it needs to be. The sleeving is the one thing I’d change about the Flow. The worst thing about it is the microphonics - I’m quite a sedentary listener and I don’t even take the Flow outdoors, but it picks up sound like no other cable I own each time it moves against my skin or clothes.

The Leo still can’t be beat for ergonomics. It may look a bit worse for wear with oxidation after 3-4 years of nearly constant use, but has little or no microphonics of note. Nor has it stiffened one bit. It’s still as wonderfully soft and supple as I remember it at the beginning.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #4,436 of 14,143
@LoryWiv I should add, if you or anyone is still thinking of getting Leo - I haven’t heard the Leo Plus but would certainly consider it if I had to replace my Leo now (touch wood).

Also, it is of no benefit to me but I must say Penon have been quite fair in reducing its price over time. IIRC what I paid for my Leo was much closer to the current price of Leo Plus.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4,437 of 14,143
@LoryWiv I should add, if you or anyone is still thinking of getting Leo - I haven’t heard the Leo Plus but would certainly consider it if I had to replace my Leo now (touch wood).

Also, it is of no benefit to me but I must say Penon have been quite fair in reducing its price over time. IIRC what I paid for my Leo was much closer to the current price of Leo Plus.
The website description of Leo Plus is a bit confusing, it says it is a pure silver cable in bold but then describes composition as tri-component below:
Penon Leo Plus 8 Shares Pure Silver HiFi Audiophile IEM Earphone Cable
Description:
8 strands gold-silver-palladium alloy wire, hand knitting.

Is it equal parts of the 3 components or is the gold and palladium just plating?

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #4,438 of 14,143
The website description of Leo Plus is a bit confusing, it says it is a pure silver cable in bold but then describes composition as tri-component below:
Description:

Is it equal parts of the 3 components or is the gold and palladium just plating?

I don’t know (Penon can be a bit vague about the composition of most of their cables, but you could try enquiring) but doubt very much it would be anything near equal parts at that price - Leo Plus owners may be able to tell you more about how it sounds but from all accounts it seems primarily a silver cable with the gold and palladium probably as icing to refine its sound.

Separately, I’m listening to Fan + Flow and raring for Penon to announce their mythical single DD wonder.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #4,439 of 14,143
Description:

They can throw you some info re: % of each materials, but most of that's a trade secret, including strand count, etc.
Leo plus is very un silver like when it comes to sound output properties. Yet silver like when it comes to detail retrieval, but with added weight, instead of the usual silver neutralising treble and mids...

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #4,440 of 14,143
IMG_20220307_134839-01.jpeg
Serials have landed 🙂
First listen, these don't give the EST50, a run for their money.... and yet, these hold you on. Smooth mids....
Now to start burn-in..

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_135127-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220307_135127-01.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220307_135145-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220307_135145-01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back