The PENON official thread
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #4,486 of 14,140
thanks for the input, I do have the senda light blue stem, will try that later. Will check out the Leo plus and the OS849 with 4.4mm. I do have the blanche in mmcx but need an adapter.
You'll love it with the 849. There's added extension and a little brightness up top.

do you know if the fiio utws5 can drive it?
it's not that difficult to drive, but they're not low impedance either. Medium efficient is I can say...

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #4,488 of 14,140
You'll love it with the 849. There's added extension and a little brightness up top.
IMG_20220311_224104.jpg

Mar 16, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #4,489 of 14,140
Muted, Dull, muffled from zero to a few minutes - that's the norm.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-16857860

By the time these albums possess
Textured, sub woofer level (not annoying - they got their own space in the 3d imaging) bass, neutral, detailed mids, very reasonably crisp, sparkly, extended treble
That means weathering's done, continue to enjoy the music.
Kindly note, Serials are not bright hot, they're naturally bright, not harsh...

I use Sedna Earfit standard - the wide bore grey stem tips and currently LEO Plus - Now I got a more, prominent very deep stage
From the 1st compilation album...

IMG_20220316_175650.jpg

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #4,490 of 14,140
Continuation of my episode of the Leo Plus cable. Arrived in Hong Kong on 06-12-2021 and still no return and the last answer from Penon Audio was on 20-01-2022 and since silence?
I do not understand?

Sorry to hear. Hong Kong is just coming off a big covid surge that might complicate logistics but I would hope for some sort of communication at least.

thanks for the input, I do have the senda light blue stem, will try that later. Will check out the Leo plus and the OS849 with 4.4mm.

Agree that these should help. Sedna and Spiral Dots will bring out the best of the treble but I find the Serial needs a deeper insertion than the other Penon IEMs so it may help to try tips a size smaller.

Mar 17, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #4,492 of 14,140
Mar 17, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #4,494 of 14,140
Progenitor of Penon house sound!

F33F972E-B342-4B21-8DA3-8B58395DB1B9.jpeg
Agree
From BS1 came the Orb (they sound very, very similar).
For me, Orb paved the way for the Volts, Globe and eventually the Serials.
Orb is the DD Foundation of the Penon house sound for in ear headphones, imho...

Mar 17, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #4,495 of 14,140
Listening to BS1 Official now on my new M9, they sound incredible.

20220317_092253.jpg

Mar 17, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #4,497 of 14,140
Agree
From BS1 came the Orb (they sound very, very similar).
For me, Orb paved the way for the Volts, Globe and eventually the Serials.
Orb is the DD Foundation of the Penon house sound for in ear headphones, imho...

I’m quite certain BS1 set the precedence for later releases, all of them shared the same dna as far as I can tell.

The Orb is truly a special one, like you said, it’s primarily DD sounding thanks to its crossover-less design where both full frequency drivers blast away in unison giving out that super analog signature that we all love.

Listening to BS1 Official now on my new M9, they sound incredible.

What a combo!

As I'm a big fan of the Penon Serial I'm thinking of also ordering the Penon Orb. Question is does the Orb bring enough character to complement the Serial or are they to much of the same?

Most definitely! The Orb is quite different to Serial yet similar in fundamentals.

edit-spelling

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #4,498 of 14,140
As I'm a big fan of the Penon Serial I'm thinking of also ordering the Penon Orb. Question is does the Orb bring enough character to complement the Serial or are they to much of the same?

If your into vinyl records, reel to reel, analogue cassettes - you must have an Orb in your collection.
They're smooth all the way to the relaxed treble, perfect for trad. jazz, pop standards, ambient, chill hop.
Sedna earfit the standard grey stem tips seem to be besties with the Orbs.
Other tips that work very well include Spiral Dots original, Spiral dots ++, Azla crystal.

Each Penon release complement each other, not boxing out against one another as the Serial has proven (again).
I may have the Volt - but the Serial, if there is such an expression "giant killer" - if this truly exist, then the Serials should be IN THIS LIST...
1647519686553.png

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #4,499 of 14,140
The FAN brings something unique and desirable. to the table as well. Though the Serial is quite coherent, the coherency of a well-tuned single DD, like the FAN, is where it is at for strings. (If classical is on your usual listening schedule). Gotta go balanced and high gain to get the real FAN, though.

Mar 21, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #4,500 of 14,140
If your into vinyl records, reel to reel, analogue cassettes - you must have an Orb in your collection.
They're smooth all the way to the relaxed treble, perfect for trad. jazz, pop standards, ambient, chill hop.
Sedna earfit the standard grey stem tips seem to be besties with the Orbs.
Other tips that work very well include Spiral Dots original, Spiral dots ++, Azla crystal.

Each Penon release complement each other, not boxing out against one another as the Serial has proven (again).
I may have the Volt - but the Serial, if there is such an expression "giant killer" - if this truly exist, then the Serials should be IN THIS LIST...
1647519686553.png
What are the tips that you have on the Volts? I have been trying different tips lately and was just curious, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back