The PENON official thread
Mar 25, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,516 of 13,950
No all BA left, I had IER-M9 and SA6 but sold in recent times. I have Traillii also but thats BA/EST.
I owned SA6 twice and sold. Couldn’t get the fit right.
Legend has been difficult for me to pin down. Still working on it. Right now with tips, trying to find the best match.
I sold Noble Encore recently, 10 BA, I believe. Treble was too forward for my ears. Not so with Legend.
Legend sounds warm and full to me.
VE Elysium sounds more revealing with better texture and layers than Legend but Ely is really a different signature altogether.
Using se200 & dx300 daps.
Hopefully you get a chance to hear Legend. Be interested to read your impressions.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #4,517 of 13,950
I owned SA6 twice and sold. Couldn’t get the fit right.
Legend has been difficult for me to pin down. Still working on it. Right now with tips, trying to find the best match.
I sold Noble Encore recently, 10 BA, I believe. Treble was too forward for my ears. Not so with Legend.
Legend sounds warm and full to me.
VE Elysium sounds more revealing with better texture and layers than Legend but Ely is really a different signature altogether.
Using se200 & dx300 daps.
Hopefully you get a chance to hear Legend. Be interested to read your impressions.

I had no problems with the SA6 fit, but I found IER-M9 an upgrade and decided to part with SA6. Then more recently, in a bid to gather cash for IER-Z1R, I decided to sell the IER-M9, which I think I'll regret! I feel a void in my collection without an all BA, but I'll have to wait a while now having just purchased the Z1R. I will have tour units of Oriveti O400 and OV800 next week, both all BA sets and I'm very curious to hear them.

I'm intrigued by Legend, have been for a while but I'll have to park it for now, unless I sell something else!

Mar 25, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #4,518 of 13,950
No all BA left, I had IER-M9 and SA6 but sold in recent times. I have Traillii also but thats BA/EST.
FWIW, I find the SeeAudio Bravery to be a fine all-BA unit at a reasonable price. The Bravery complements the Serial quite well in the price range. The Bravery excels with the Cayin RU6, does quite well with the L&P W1, is meh with the Paw S1.

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #4,519 of 13,950
Update, I had a quick listen last night, not parting with Serial... what on earth was I thinking :)

Any other Legend owners care to give impressions? Very tempted.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...ortable-audio-discussion.826876/post-16555326

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...monitor-legend-and-storm.959361/post-16704563

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-legend.25409/reviews

Better refresh the impressions from these folks. If they passed the hr 500 mark, more clarity should be in order...

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #4,520 of 13,950
Any other Legend owners care to give impressions? Very tempted.
Legend is quite a bit different than the Serial. Serial sounds like a typical Harman IEM but less shouty. Legend is much fuller in lower mids/mid-bass. Warm, smooth, full-bodied, mid-centric. Much better spatial instrument placement and depth. Bass has better resolution but is noticeably BA bass aka softer texture.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #4,522 of 13,950
I have Legends incoming. Will post impressions when i have a feel for them and the inspiration hits
Congrats!
This epic concert deserve something like the Legends. They sound superlative on the Volts. No congestion no cramping @ all...

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #4,524 of 13,950
All tuning switches down on Legend is a worthwhile listening option. Where I’m currently at with it. Most balanced this way, and spacious, and perhaps natural sounding as far as hewing closer to fidelity of mastered music. Ya know, TME. Also, Symbio W tips should be tried with Legend.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #4,525 of 13,950
Legend is quite a bit different than the Serial. Serial sounds like a typical Harman IEM but less shouty. Legend is much fuller in lower mids/mid-bass. Warm, smooth, full-bodied, mid-centric. Much better spatial instrument placement and depth. Bass has better resolution but is noticeably BA bass aka softer texture.
I have a scad of Harman-ish tuned IEMs. (Starfield, Aria, Kato, Yume, 2021 Hana). I don't hear the Serial as Harman-ish. It is much warmer with the green/grey stock tips. It is mildly U-shaped with ePro Horns. Both configurations have much more note weight than my Harman-ish IEMs.

edit: The Serials have notable mid bass and lower mids that take significant tip-rolling, and shallow insertion to approach Harman. At least that is my experience.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #4,526 of 13,950
My Volt is up for grabs should anyone want one in mint condition.
I'm moving to the U12t to try it out. And if it's not my cup of tea, I'll be going straight for the Legend :)
Had a pair once. It's going to be a subjective one, I don't like how the mids are conveyed, recessed and relaxed.
As opposed to a proper energetic set (the Volts), without over doing it to point of quick exhaustion.
Albeit detailed the 12t, I really need to crank more, more than usual the volume in order to have the desired effect I'm chasing.
The Volt has the larger sound field esp. the width...

Attachments

• 240+u12t.PNG.jpg
    240+u12t.PNG.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #4,528 of 13,950
USB Audio Player Pro/Sony Xperia 5 ii - > CMA Twelve Master -> Serial from the 1/4output..... really quite a high level of sound performance. Sounds like I have on full size headphones on and very musical with nice separation and detail retrieval

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #4,529 of 13,950
USB Audio Player Pro/Sony Xperia 5 ii - > CMA Twelve Master -> Serial from the 1/4output..... really quite a high level of sound performance. Sounds like I have on full size headphones on and very musical with nice separation and detail retrieval

100 % agree with you on this and another sensation that there is no clamping force being felt.
Serials do an excellent large surround sound field effect around my head...

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #4,530 of 13,950

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back