The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Apr 10, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2,341 of 2,849
Hi all,

I have bought these headphones to see what all the fuss is about.

Now, please bare in mind I can understand how a lot of people would like this phone, it has unique aspects and has a lot of charater, but it’s a little bass shy for me even  after 60+ hours of burn in.

The real problem for me was sound leakage and lack of deep bass, I consider myself a basshead.

I find eq’ing didnt really help these phones either (nor did adding my Fiio E5) which was a surprise to me, I do have the EU version, maybe this could be a defective model?

Anyways, I have took the plunge, and bought the Panasonic RP-HTX7 hoping for a bit more bass and less sound leakage (hopefully)

I hate to write a “bad” review about anything really but that’s my experience with them I will be putting these phones on sale very soon : (

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #2,342 of 2,849

Quote:
Hi all,

Now, please bare in mind I can understand how a lot of people would like this phone, it has unique aspects and has a lot of charater, but it’s a little bass shy for me even  after 60+ hours of burn in.

The real problem for me was sound leakage and lack of deep bass, I consider myself a basshead.

I find eq’ing didnt really help these phones either (nor did adding my Fiio E5) which was a surprise to me, I do have the EU version, maybe this could be a defective model?

Anyways, I have took the plunge, and bought the Panasonic RP-HTX7 hoping for a bit more bass and less sound leakage (hopefully)

I hate to write a “bad” review about anything really but that’s my experience with them I will be putting these phones on sale very soon : (

No problem at all, my only advice is to separate what is good sound and good headphones from what you enjoy. If you want more and deeper bass than the one on the HTF600, then your ideal sound is in the Sony XB territory, which is clearly very bassy. That would mean anything below an XB500 would be considered "bad" by you, which is of course unfair since not all headphones focus on extreme bass levels.

How did you find the HTX7? They isolate pretty badly from what I remember. I'd suggest looking for something else.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #2,343 of 2,849

Quote:

No problem at all, my only advice is to separate what is good sound and good headphones from what you enjoy. If you want more and deeper bass than the one on the HTF600, then your ideal sound is in the Sony XB territory, which is clearly very bassy. That would mean anything below an XB500 would be considered "bad" by you, which is of course unfair since not all headphones focus on extreme bass levels.

How did you find the HTX7? They isolate pretty badly from what I remember. I'd suggest looking for something else.

Hey thanks for the kind reply, I fear going to the XB series as I do appreciate a bit of balance aswell.

I havent got the HTX 7's yet, they are on their way, but I fear I have made an impluse buy and they may not be for me.

I m wanting something easy to drive and doesnt disturb anyone whilst Im blasting drum and bass! lol,

Did you try the HTX7's? did you like them?

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #2,344 of 2,849
I did. I remember screeching mids, deep bass, but it was some time ago and I can't really remember. I think recommending only the few headphones I own is a bit biased, but I really think in those circumstances, and considering you appear to be on a budget, the Creative Aurvana Live are really your thing. They have more bass, and I think deeper, than the HTF600 (I don't have these with me anymore). The good part is the rest of the music is still there, the mids are not recessed and neither are the highs. And I listen to DnB/Dubstep on a daily basis on them.

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #2,345 of 2,849

Quote:
I did. I remember screeching mids, deep bass, but it was some time ago and I can't really remember. I think recommending only the few headphones I own is a bit biased, but I really think in those circumstances, and considering you appear to be on a budget, the Creative Aurvana Live are really your thing. They have more bass, and I think deeper, than the HTF600 (I don't have these with me anymore). The good part is the rest of the music is still there, the mids are not recessed and neither are the highs. And I listen to DnB/Dubstep on a daily basis on them.

Hey Lizard

Thanks for the recommendation! Yea I spent quite a lot so far on full sized headphones and have been unimpressed and lost a lot of money in the process.

I want to keep it as budget as possible as I have some Future Sonics IEMs and LOVE them and listen them more often.

I m looking for some full sized for very light use, I m travelling soon so need some full sized ones for the flight journey that’s another reason why I m keeping it on a budget.

Thank you for your help

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #2,346 of 2,849
You should have no trouble selling them as the price has recently gone up on amazon. 

good luck!!

Quote:
Hi all,

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #2,348 of 2,849

Quote:
really? i need to check these out! first time ive heard them described as being that bassy...

It's not a shocking difference, but yes, more. As I mentioned, the HTF600 sound like they have a valley in the FR somewhere in the mids, making them sound a bit synthetic. This might be interpreted as being recessed, thus making the bass stand out more.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,349 of 2,849

Quote:

It's not a shocking difference, but yes, more. As I mentioned, the HTF600 sound like they have a valley in the FR somewhere in the mids, making them sound a bit synthetic. This might be interpreted as being recessed, thus making the bass stand out more.

I don't find any very big valleys in the sound (possibly may be poor quality control which is expected for a cheap headphone like this which may lead to some people having more uneven frequency response than others), there's just a very tiny audible recession in my sample around 500Hz area but even so we're not talking about any huge drop at all, I was even suprised how even the midrange was, especially for a price like this when most other slightly expensier or significantly expensier headphones I have tried have more uneven midrange than this headphone even. Around 1kHz it's clearly the most forward in the midrange and around 500Hz the least forward as well as the upper-mids in the 2~4kHz range but even so we're probably talking about a 5dB difference or so but yea on my sample it was important to put the 1kHz slider just tiny bit lower than 500 and 2kHz and 500Hz slider just one step higher and it sounded more well balanced in the midrange.

I'd even go as far as saying they have very similar frequency response to Monoprice 8323 / Kicker HP541 DJ headphones which looks like follows:

There you see everything I'd personally analyze the HTF600 as by ear, bass roll-off I've often commented to start appearing around 40Hz and fairly midbass focused with fairly great punch quantity-wise concidered (check), the midrange very forward in your face (check), upper-mids are rolled-off which is heard as female vocals are generally slightly weaker in comparision to male vocals (check but as far as Tyll's graphs goes it usually starts becoming inaccurate after 2kHz and typically have a valley in the upper-mid to lower-highs range 3.5~7kHz and upper highs range 10kHz+, I'm sure there's a slight drop for sure but the drop is probably bigger in the graph than in reality though as 15dB drop that would be HUGE difference and sound very odd and Monoprice 8323 doesn't sound THAT odd), slightly rolled-off highs (check). I'd even dare to go as far as saying these might share the same drivers but the housing is what's making the huge difference to soundstage due to semi-open vs fully closed design. But yea changing the housing should also affect the frequency response quite a bit but yea maybe in this case we're just lucky and HTF600 and Monoprice 8323 housing share similar kind of frequency balance, there's always the possibility at least.

If you check my EQ settings for HTF600 which are completely based by-ear listening, it makes very much sense with Monoprice 8323's graph too:

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #2,350 of 2,849
Now as a basss head also, I find these to have a very clean bass.  I drive these through my mixer and they get nice and low.  Maybe other that have multiple sources can test these cans like that. Xb 500 are the next best value at 50 bucks (US).  Bass is heavy and the comfort is amazing.  They must be EQ'd to get that great sound.  But for great Balance the HTF600 are the best value. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,351 of 2,849
Hi Guys

I guess I have took this whole thread and the concept of these phones in the wrong way.

I was looking for something I could use portably whereas these phones are to be matched with higher end equipment to get that sweet sound.

anyways they are now on ebay.

I have gone for the Phiaton MS 400 Carbon Fiber as it looks so sexy! and the sound signature is something I am looking for

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,352 of 2,849
I think you miss understood what I said.  I was just pointing out that with with diffrent equipment they sounded a little deep(db loud) in the bass.  Make no mistake they can get deep off my Laptop or iPhone.  I should have been clearer on what I was explaining.  They are very portable if you dont mind the size.  I dont think they are big but for me it is not deal killer.  Trust me for the money you will not find a better sounding can.

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,353 of 2,849
It looks like the budget king has been discontiued
mad.gif
.  I cound not find it on their website unless I seached and can not reach support when I did that.  I found a support email so i placed a ticket.  We will see what happens.   

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2,355 of 2,849
after a couple of weeks , these are obviously better than the first time..

finally , i think its a very good headphone!!

The only problem i have now is that if i push the right cup the sound is stopped(or produces very very weak sound) ..i can solve this by pushing it again..(the push is not so strong  , just a little..) that time i hear  a little sound  like  something was back in this place..
What should i do now?Should i open it and take a look? Left cup is excellent and does not have this problem..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back