The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Feb 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,011 of 2,849

Quote:
In this price range, I also like the Koss UR-55. They aren't as comfortable (on-ear vs. around ear), but I prefer the sound signature - bass is a little tighter and they aren't as dark as the HTF-600.

Those are really good too. I had two pairs before and they get even better when the fabric behind it's grill is removed. It's too much trouble though. Have you tried the DJ100? If you like the UR-55, you'd probably love the DJ100.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,012 of 2,849
I don't think that at the price point you can have any more fun listening to headphones IMO. Really needs about 50 hours to truly get the best sound. Comfort level is better than m50's for me. Lightweight but with cheaper pads. I see these are creeping up in price on amazon...
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,013 of 2,849
Just got a pair of these today. Making my way through a Mozart symphonies boxed set and I must say they are shockingly good. At this price point these shouldn't sound as good as they do. Ive found a complement for my Grados and Ultrasones for classical and I believe these will be my go to cans for classical from now on.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #2,014 of 2,849
Been playing with them for a few hours. It seems that the XB500 seemed to benefit more from an EQ than these. With no EQ they do butcher lots of acoustic guitar music. It's quite muddy sounding and there's a little too much bass bleed. I had this issue with the HD-650, so it's not much different. Without EQ it actually doesn't have enough treble for me. I'm surely no treble-head, but I even had this issue with the ZX700. Never though that was possible.

I had a peek at the driver and it looks like a XL version of the DJ100 driver. Found that amusing. I removed the foam around the main driver hole and prefer them like this along with the M50 pads with the foam removed.

For $30 I don't have many complaints since they're perfectly acceptable with EQ. To me, they're are about 100x better than the Kicker/Monoprice headphone I had last. Right now they sound like a decent $60 headphone. They're ok to me, but I wouldn't suggest them for those that won't want to EQ and don't like a lot of bass. They're a bit more bassy than I originally thought. I should have not posted so fast.

What's funny is that I can EQ them to make them sound similar to my favorite DJ100. Not as good, but close to how it sounds. I have to drop the bass down and boost the treble (a lot). Female vocals are OK, but definitely don't sound forward  or even quite neutral (I didn't expect this). During simple songs, the vocals are fairly clear.

Now we all have our idea of what makes a headphone engaging and fun to listen to, but without EQ, these don't quite do it for me. I guess for me it's all about the mids. Most fun headphone for me is the DJ100 and maybe the SR-225i (mostly it's mids). If bass was a higher priority, I'd probably love these a lot more.

I think I actually prefer an EQd XB500, Koss UR-55 or the M50 to these. I won't compare them to headphones with other signatures. SRH-840 has some pretty decent bass, but that's too expensive and won't satisfy any bassheads. Too bad that UR-55 is so small and awkward for some.

BTW how does the bass on the HTF-600 compare to the K81DJ? Does it have less or more bass? I've been wanting to try that headphone forever. I'd be perfectly happy with other headphones that had bass similar to my DJ100. I think the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 and Denon HP700 had similar quantities of bass if I remember right. The DJX-1 was a keeper but mine was defective.

I think the Superlux HD-668B is technically better, but not even remotely warm to me. Has much more detail, larger soundstage and a clearer sound. Much less bass, but more treble and It's mids aren't as forward and not always that fun to listen to. I guess it depends on preferences. I don't like it's signature, but want to try the HD-681. It's graphs look pretty good.

Oh yeah..the soundstage of the HTF-600 is quite good, but obviously not that large. All those vents probably play a role. Definitely very poor isolation but I could care less.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2,015 of 2,849
I agree with you, as i said before these cans need EQ to have "that" fun... ive been listening non stop with this EQ setting:

At least to me, with this config it does pretty well in dubstep/dnb even in rock/metal.

With flat EQ its just... flat.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #2,016 of 2,849
For me what's "fun" or not is mostly determined by how the soundstage is projected. Perfect examples of not fun sounding headphones: AKG K70x, Sennheiser HD 800, Denon D1100, AD700/900, BeyerDynamic headphones to some degree etc. Example of "fun" sounding headphones, all Grados, HTF600, Philips L1, XB500.

Doesn't have to do with the frequency response balance to me, take a listen to some smooth female jazz, with one of the camps you feel left out, with the other the singer feels like you're in the same room and have to start clap your hands or headbang to some metal or start dancing to techno music because it feels like you're in center of it and music is like taking the control of you. Either I feel left out or I feel invited to the music, that's the kind of feelings I often get when trying different headphones. As for me I clearly prefer the "fun" camp and want to get engaged with the music.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,017 of 2,849
i dunno about you guys, but these headphones have been falling apart lately. I bought mine on October 14th of 2011, i love how they sound, but i dunno so much about build quality, maybe i just got unlucky.

The other day I was in my room listening to music and I went to close my door. I LITERALLY just took off my headphones and put them down, after I closed the door and came back to my desk, the part of the headband which has the 1 and 2 buttons for the presets had broken. Like on the inside where its closed, the part that the band slides into had kinda split open, so the band adjustment on that side is very loose.

Just now I was talking to my brother and holding the headphones in my hand, and the right earcup just detached itself from the headband, where the grey meets the black, and is just being held by the wire.

Im not sure if this was a bad batch or If I dont know how to take care of headphones, but I only use them at home in my room. I was wondering if any1 else had any bad experiences like this =[.

They are only 30$ but whatever.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,018 of 2,849

Quote:
i dunno about you guys, but these headphones have been falling apart lately. I bought mine on October 14th of 2011, i love how they sound, but i dunno so much about build quality, maybe i just got unlucky.

The other day I was in my room listening to music and I went to close my door. I LITERALLY just took off my headphones and put them down, after I closed the door and came back to my desk, the part of the headband which has the 1 and 2 buttons for the presets had broken. Like on the inside where its closed, the part that the band slides into had kinda split open, so the band adjustment on that side is very loose.

Just now I was talking to my brother and holding the headphones in my hand, and the right earcup just detached itself from the headband, where the grey meets the black, and is just being held by the wire.

Im not sure if this was a bad batch or If I dont know how to take care of headphones, but I only use them at home in my room. I was wondering if any1 else had any bad experiences like this =[.

Well that's the thing with these, good sound but poor $20 worth of build quality. Part of the reason I started looking for some replacement. In my case Q40.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #2,019 of 2,849
Build quality of the pannies seems fine to me. My sister had them for two months, and now I been using them for 2 months and no issues whatsoever. The built is not as sturdy as my mdr-7506 but what headphone today is like that?
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2,020 of 2,849

i dunno about you guys, but these headphones have been falling apart lately.

I think what frequently happens is people push in on the outside of the earcups creating pressure inside and bottoming out the drivers. If I get another pair I will drill a small hole in the baffle as a pressure relief.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,021 of 2,849

Quote:
Those are really good too. I had two pairs before and they get even better when the fabric behind it's grill is removed. It's too much trouble though. Have you tried the DJ100? If you like the UR-55, you'd probably love the DJ100.

I almost bought the DJ100's over the holidays. I saw them at the PX on the shelf for $60 and I remembered your review of them, but ultimately I decided I didn't need another pair of cheap headphones.

I gave the HTF-600's to my daughter and she loves them. I gave the UR-55's to my son to use with his DS and he likes them a lot.

For me, I bought a pair of Denon AH-D7000's to complement my HD600's. Everybody's happy now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,022 of 2,849
On-line retailers are starting to restock EDT 200 Velour pads.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2,023 of 2,849
Quest for openness:

The frame has been lifted by ~1.2 cm & the left/right markings are taken off.
The cups have been layered with thin plywood & some foam.
What you get is:
Huge soundstage. It's so huge that every note looks like suspended in air.
Treble has much air & resolution
Talk about imaging. These beat shure 750dj & Vmoda V-80.
Bass is way tighter now & finally i got rid of the mid bass hump. \O/
Overall these have some enjoyable definition & detail now.
Stock these are lo-fi. After the mods these are very very good lo-fi

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #2,024 of 2,849
thank you for your writeup of your first impressions of these pannys tdock. (i've also read your posts on the UR55) 100x better than the monoprice phones?????  A month back I was looking at the monoprices but then these htf600s caught my eye. I'm still on the fence as to whether I want the pannys since I already have the aurvana lives. With the aurvana, they sound good even without eq.  Do make a follow up post after the 50 hours mark.

Quote:

For $30 I don't have many complaints since they're perfectly acceptable with EQ. To me, they're are about 100x better than the Kicker/Monoprice headphone I had last. Right now they sound like a decent $60 headphone. They're ok to me, but I wouldn't suggest them for those that won't want to EQ and don't like a lot of bass. They're a bit more bassy than I originally thought. I should have not posted so fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back