The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,036 of 2,849
Thank you for your replies. I live in Israel, so I'll have to pay quite a lot for the delivery anyway. I'll buy them from the US dealer. Hope they'll be quite good addition to my SR80, that are excellent for blues, country rock, vocals but quite bad for classics (they are OK for violin and guitar, but I feel like I can not feel the full sounding of organ or full orchestra) and metal (IMO metal should be bassy, that is the reason why evryone so crazy about Eb tune).

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,037 of 2,849
  1. andkoppel
  2. badge_headfier.v1305918899.png
  4. offline
  1. 34 Posts. Joined 1/2004
  2. Location: Madrid - Spain

Quote:
gelocks said:

I've heard good things about Aiaiai tma-1 headphones.
Has anyone tried them?
How would they compare to these Pannies?
(yeah yeah, I know these are like $200... just wondering... :p)

Thanks.

They have completely different sound signatures. AIAIAI is thicker, more detailed, bass oriented, warm and treble shy than the HTF-600. So much so that going from one to the other needs a long brain burn in. If you use the HTF600 after the AIAIAI the sound of the first seems thin, lacking in detail (that anyway) and as if all the instruments sounded two dimensional and artificial (I believe due to a combination of the mentioned lack of detail and an unrefined lower treble).

If you do the opposite then the AIAIAI sound veiled, with a distant but detailed treble and o so thick and syrupy that you fear you will contract diabetes just by listening to them. You also lose some bass definition and have to live with a smaller soundstage. No, the AIAIAi is not an improved version of the Panys, not by a long shot. What it is funny is that going from one can to the other only highlights the shortcomings of both. So much so, that I am thinking of selling my AIAIAI because I don't enjoy them anymore (My SM3 are also at fault here).

After 100 burn-in the HTF600 I am loving so much that big bass. Sadly they will be demoted to computer duties. I can appreciate that for $30 they are great cans and they will be my top recommendation list to friends and family. Sadly their shortcomings: lack of detail and poor quality lower treble makes listening to Jazz, Folk, Pop and Classical (my music of choice) quite unlistenable. I will continue to use my Senn HD600 for that. I know it is not fair to compare both, but sadly I have only one pair of ears and like we say in Spain: life is too short to drink poor wine. Not that the HTF600 are poor, but the HD600 are much better.

I am thinking of upgrading the sound experience of the HTF600, if possible with some closed cans that I can use outside. I was thinking of the Ultrasone HFI-780 or the Fischer 003, maybe even the HD-25.  What do you think? Any suggestions?

I would say if you guys want something a bit different, portable, bassy, closed.. I would go for the HFI-580 for Gelocks and andkoppel I think for you, the HFI-780 would be better..They have better balance than the HFI-580 defined highs and a bit wider stage as well. Nice detail for your music.  The only issue with both cans are the comfort level. They both clamp and don't let go but will become more comfy with use and stretching the band on top.. If you guys have never tried ultrasone cans. IMO everyone should have at least one ultrasone. Unique and I love S-logic. How about throwing some surround to your jazz.

@ andkoppel..You should try the velours on the HTF600s at some point.. You will be surprised how much of the highs come out to play..I don't feel the highs are lacking at all with the velours.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #1,038 of 2,849

Quote:
  1. andkoppel
  4. offline

I would say if you guys want something a bit different, portable, bassy, closed.. I would go for the HFI-580 for Gelocks and andkoppel I think for you, the HFI-780 would be better..They have better balance than the HFI-580 defined highs and a bit wider stage as well. Nice detail for your music.  The only issue with both cans are the comfort level. They both clamp and don't let go but will become more comfy with use and stretching the band on top.. If you guys have never tried ultrasone cans. IMO everyone should have at least one ultrasone. Unique and I love S-logic. How about throwing some surround to your jazz.

@ andkoppel..You should try the velours on the HTF600s at some point.. You will be surprised how much of the highs come out to play..I don't feel the highs are lacking at all with the velours.

Dnuts.

Thx for the recommendation, I think I will go for the 780. Do you think it is better than the Shure 840 for portable use?

Sorry to everyone for hijacking this thread.

Regarding the HTF 600s and the velours I will give them a try once I can get my father to send them to Spain from Germany. Soon.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,039 of 2,849

Quote:
Dnuts.

Thx for the recommendation, I think I will go for the 780. Do you think it is better than the Shure 840 for portable use?

Sorry to everyone for hijacking this thread.

Regarding the HTF 600s and the velours I will give them a try once I can get my father to send them to Spain from Germany. Soon.

The ShureSRH840 are big. bulky. great cans but not so portable.. The HFI-780s are smaller and in public down right sexy looking.  And whatever you do. Don't take the numb skulls that say they have shrill highs. .That is a bunch of baloney. I own them they sound great actually with Jazz. The Shures will have smoothness over the HFI-780 but the bass on the HFI-780 for your jazz is more ample. I think you would dig them. The highs are very defined on them too and NOT shrill like some guys think they heard someone else talk about..

One of my big pet peeves around here..People that don't know What they are talking about or don't own them. The ultrasone sound bodes well with bassy Jazz and these will surprise you the sense of stage is crazy with S-logic. A lot bigger than you would imagine for being closed. I think you would enjoy them.  Isolates well very nice clean sound. Wider stage than any closed cans. You get surrounded by your music..Lovely cans. Worth getting IMO.

Get them velours and take a listen you will be surprised again with your HTF600s..

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,041 of 2,849

Quote:
  1. andkoppel
  4. offline

Thanks Dsnuts!
And yes, I might try one Ultrasone just for fun. I would love the same Panny signature on less leaking cans!! lol :wink:

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,042 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks Dsnuts!
And yes, I might try one Ultrasone just for fun. I would love the same Panny signature on less leaking cans!! lol :wink: 

For your musical taste the HFI-580 or the DJ1s for sure..I have the DJ1s with coiled chord. They are both the same phones..No leaky leaky at all... If you read the HFI-580 appreciation thread it is filled with guys that listen to your music. These are perfect for Dub, trance. electronica.. Big surround bass. The Pro900s are the best but at 3X the cost..Let me know how you like them. They are awesome for your genre of choice.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,043 of 2,849
Speaking of Ultrasone, I thought about giving them a shot before (if only to put S-Logic to the test for gaming), but now I'm concerned about the skullclamping feeling, which is already said to be worse than the HTF600.

Do they have any reasonably affordable models without recessed mids? (Too expensive, like Pro 900 expensive, and I'd rather be shopping for more electrostatic gear.)

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,044 of 2,849
I'm pissed. The eBay seller I bought my second pair of Panny's from just sent me an e-mail telling me he doesn't have any in stock right now and is expecting his shipment at the end of the month. How can you put up an auction on something you don't have?

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #1,045 of 2,849

Quote:
Speaking of Ultrasone, I thought about giving them a shot before (if only to put S-Logic to the test for gaming), but now I'm concerned about the skullclamping feeling, which is already said to be worse than the HTF600.

Do they have any reasonably affordable models without recessed mids? (Too expensive, like Pro 900 expensive, and I'd rather be shopping for more electrostatic gear.)

The recessed mids is more of how they emit sound than reality.. What the S-Logic does is, they have off set drivers much like the HTF600s.. Sound is channeled through a cut out in front of the driver. SO the sounds seem like they start from the back of your ears and surrounds you instead of being on them like most cans.. This also gives a bigger sense of stage a welcomed affect.And I have read how many consider the mids on an ultrasone can to be recessed. They aren't, they might sound like that because the bulk of the music is going around your ears and not directly onto them.. You have to hear an ultrasone can to know what I am talking about. . While gaming would seem ideal or even better as they have this natural surround sound to them. Not really the case. They sound great for games but not better than the HTF600s. I still prefer the HTF600 for games over my HFI-780 or the DJ1s. For music however. They are special.

I think I saw on the for sale forums some used HFI-780s.. Try to get them used.. Again I think everyone on their audio journey should definitely include an Ultrasone can sometime. But for now. Back on topic.!  If any of you guys have any questions regarding ultrasone cans. Feel free to PM me.

Oh yea as per comfort level.. The HTF600s are way more comfortable and even more so with the velours. I don't think you will like the clamp on the ultrasones. The Higher end ultrasones use velours so more comfy but the ones I mentioned have CLAMP.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,046 of 2,849
Ok just some quick things I've noticed because I've decided to leave my impressions until after burn in.

Construction, cheesy.  The pads are a really cheap plastic, the cord is poor, the plastic tab that allows them to swivel worries me.

Music:
(There is a strong veil without any burn in and no sharp sounding high notes to be found.)

Korn - Ball Tongue - Self Titled Album
    It can't do the bass line proper, it just rolls off to sharply for this song.

Street Dogs - Self Titled Album
    Much better,  punchy and it smooths over the harsh guitars.

Distillers - Ask The Angels - Self Titled Album
    One of my favorite songs from my youth, but it's hard to enjoy because it's so harsh, these did very nicely with the whole thing.  very enjoyable.

Dropkick Murphys - Peg o' My Heart feat. Bruce Springsteen - Going Out In Style
    Not quite the right punch on the bass drum but still miles ahead of my 701's.

The Surprise:
    I threw on Midday Moon by Astronautalis just to trip it up just because on the 701 it has this beautiful gritty texture that makes it like listening to sandpaper.
The texture was gone, but replaced by a forceful bass line that was a different way of listening to the track, but still really enjoyable.

EDIT: I didn't notice recessed mids at all, I think the mids are my favorite part of the sound actually, just exaggerated bass, but in a good way.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,047 of 2,849
A few questions for curious ones like myself. For those like me, who use the last similar great VFM headphones - the JVC RX700, will I find a decent enough or a 'fun' enough jump moving to the Panasonic F600? Are they more comfortable to wear than the RX700? The Panasonic India site has these models, which means I should (hopefully) get them locally. I also hope that the HTF600 and the HTF600-S are the one and the same. If I find them, I'll be paying $60-80 for them here. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are roughly $160. 

Will be watching this thread closely, and rapidly growing impatient!

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,048 of 2,849

Quote:
A few questions for curious ones like myself. For those like me, who use the last similar great VFM headphones - the JVC RX700, will I find a decent enough or a 'fun' enough jump moving to the Panasonic F600? Are they more comfortable to wear than the RX700? The Panasonic India site has these models, which means I should (hopefully) get them locally. I also hope that the HTF600 and the HTF600-S are the one and the same. If I find them, I'll be paying $60-80 for them here. The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are roughly $160. 

Will be watching this thread closely, and rapidly growing impatient!

Absolutely. I have the HARX700. I can safely say these will be an upgrade and worth the cost they charge you there locally..Forget the M50s get these instead. Comfort level wise I would say there is less clamp on the HTF600s  therefore more comfy and lighter as well. The stock pads on the HTF600s are more plush too so your ears will have more comfort... It seems there are variants on the name of the HTF600s.. If they look like the same cans on my signature they are indeed the same cans that we have been discussing on this thread. Just make sure to do the required burn in and you will see why everyone is getting on board the HTF600 bandwagon.

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,049 of 2,849

Quote:
Just received my set.  

First impressions:
    Damn this is annoying packaging, it looks good but I think the $27.13 I paid was all in plastic flap design and sticky wrap.

LOL..Thats too funny. I was thinking the same thing about the packaging. It took me a while just to get the buggers out and ready to wear. I was actually getting impatient from it. 
blink.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #1,050 of 2,849
I've been playing them constant since I got them.  Just now playing godsmack's self titled I heard the first signs of the higher notes opening up and the veil is less obvious, however the higher notes don't really fit in with the rest of the sound signature atm, they stick out a bit.  It's low treble/upper mids, maybe 1800-2k hz I think.  I heard some of the clicking earlier today, but only for a moment or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back