The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #121 of 2,849

Quote:
Hey Mal!

Did you directly compare these Pannys against the M50s?
I had compared the M50s against my Shure 440s and I just wanted to know if these were "in-between" those
or if they are more pleasing. (waiting until my cans arrive! :p but curious! :wink:)

Thanks.

Heya,

I enjoy the Panasonics over the M50's for every single application. The only thing I will say the M50 has over the HTF600 is that the M50 probably has slightly higher grade construction parts. Otherwise, the M50 is boring, flat, not very energetic and pretty cold sounding for a bass-capable headphone. Mean while, the Panasonic is very warm, lush, musical and fun, but with smooth highs and a nice smooth mid-range too, in a nice sturdy frame, with a better sound stage than M50's (to me), for considerably less money (though I don't care about that aspect).

Very best,

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #122 of 2,849
is the rp-htf600 the same as this other model in panasonic usa website?

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Audio/Headphones/Monitor/model.RP-HT560_11002_7000000000000005702

different model number but the pic and apparently the specs are the same....

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #123 of 2,849

Quote:
is the rp-htf600 the same as this other model in panasonic usa website?

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Audio/Headphones/Monitor/model.RP-HT560_11002_7000000000000005702

different model number but the pic and apparently the specs are the same....

I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed the same. I have an older RP-HT770 which Panasonic does not make any more but all they did is rename the phone to the newly released RP-HTF890.. Those HT560 look and have the exact same specs so this wouldn't surprise me if all Panasonic did was rename them..

What you guys need to realize is just how much these headphones have been overlooked by not just this community but the world..I bet all Panasonic did was rename their existing stock.. If you guys think about it you don't necessarily think. Hmmm I need to go to my local guitar center and sample a Panasonic..  

The only headphones that Panasonic is known for is their Technics line of DJ headphones..Which were made famous by one Armin Van Buren. This is an old school Japanese electronics company so it doesn't surprise me that they threw these HTF600s with no fan  fare or marketing hype.. It does surprise me to just what level of phone we are getting for peanuts though. Again I think these very well might be a free bee/ Trojan horse from Panasonic.. I bet it cost more to make these..

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #124 of 2,849
I'm kinda skeptical about these. After all, I wasn't that impressed with your previous recommendation of them Monoprice cans... then again I've been spoiled by Superlux.

I'll be getting the opportunity to listen to them soon, hopefully they aren't too FOTMish.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #125 of 2,849

Quote:
I'm kinda skeptical about these. After all, I wasn't that impressed with your previous recommendation of them Monoprice cans... then again I've been spoiled by Superlux.

I'll be getting the opportunity to listen to them soon, hopefully they aren't too FOTMish.

Nice.. You ended up getting them.. Ya give them a good listen.. These are unique and they very well may become one of your favorites.. I know it is hard to believe but they are at another level even over the superlux phones... The Monoprice make good gifts for some one that wants a bass heavy intro phone but these are a guilty pleasure like you wouldn't believe.. No FOTM here..These don't just hand the monoprice what they are missing. These show up just about any $150 plus HP what is up.. Both my ultrasone cans, Shure SRH440, M50, Sony XZ700 are all collecting dust at the moment. It kinda saddens me that this $30 phone easily trumps all of them..Lol..ya it is safe to say these will make up for what you felt was lacking on the monoprice...

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #126 of 2,849

Quote:
Nice.. You ended up getting them.. Ya give them a good listen.. These are unique and they very well may become one of your favorites.. I know it is hard to believe but they are at another level even over the superlux phones... The Monoprice make good gifts for some one that wants a bass heavy intro phone but these are a guilty pleasure like you wouldn't believe.. No FOTM here..These don't just hand the monoprice what they are missing. These show up just about any $150 plus HP what is up.. Both my ultrasone cans, Shure SRH440, M50, Sony XZ700 are all collecting dust at the moment. It kinda saddens me that this $30 phone easily trumps all of them..Lol..ya it is safe to say these will make up for what you felt was lacking on the monoprice...  

Alrightly then. But the Panasonic is hard to get in my country, so looks like I'm going to have to ship them over... after my cMoy of course :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #127 of 2,849
You owned the XB500.. So you will be familiar with the bass quality on the Panasoincs.. The shocking thing is the rest of the sound is full and clean as well so no eQ needed to get them to the sound you want.. That makes these an astounding find.. Today should be interesting as there will be a few guys that will have them for the first time.. Gauging on MalVeauX reaction to them I can guess these guys will be very impressed as well..I think he likes them more than me. Hahaha that was what was surprising to me. A man with no limits on what he throws on phones yet he loves his $30 Panasonics just as much if not more. Might tell you something.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #129 of 2,849
Mine also got shipped out today but heh it'll be like a week b4 I'll get them since ordering from abroad. It's gonna have a tough battle against XB500 since I feel it sounds perfectly according to my own taste on pretty much all aspects with the EQ settings applied (I use a really good EQ too mind you). If there's something I don't like about the Pannies it doesn't have to be bad at all, much the same as I know I wouldn't like a Sennheiser HD800 for example (probably not an Ultrasone Pro 900 either), probably hate it.

This is what I want, a very forward / in-your-face sound, it should sound like music is surrounding you, like you're the center of music, similar experience to being on a dancefloor at a nightclub or on the stage of a band, not sounding like you'd be in the crowd further back in the audience (think ATH-AD700/900, Sennheiser HD800, AKG K70x etc) so it seems like it would be a "distance" to the music. At the same time I don't like really poor soundstage, I want that "out-of-head" experience but I want it to sound like I'm the center of the music, it doesn't have to be the biggest soundstage but it should have clear positioning as if you can picture the directions of the sounds coming out of your head though, that's pretty much a requirement (for example AKG K518/81 DJs totally fails IMO on this). Balancewise it seems around ~12dB bass boost is the optimal to me if the ~15dB boost of XB500 is accurate according to headphone.com + innerfidelity as I boost the mids and highs on XB500 a bit so. Then it's important that the bassresponse is as flat as possible from the deepest tones I can hear to the mid/upper bass, maybe around 200~250Hz or so it should start roll-off to avoid muddying up the mids. Meaning I don't like "punchy" nor "loose" bass, I want a good balance between slower deep rumbling bass (DT770 Pro, XB700 are examples of headphones with too much focus on subbass alone for my liking) and punchy fast mid/upper bass (HFI-580, AKG K518, D1100 are examples of too punchy/tight bass for my liking).  At the same time I enjoy as forward mids as possible, hardly any headphone seems to have boosted beyond "neutral" mids, I probably even wouldn't mind maybe 3dB boost due to bass being so forward for starters but highs should stay pretty much neutral, tiny bit veiled might even be ok but I dislike emphasized highs as I like my sound warmer as it sounds like "fullier" sound to me, I hate the thin V-shaped sound, I'd much rather have an upside-down V-shaped curve even. There's also other smaller factors that will also impact my satisfaction such as natural reverb/decay of frequencies (I don't like a very dry sound, ie. lack of reverb presence) for example. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #130 of 2,849

Quote:
This is what I want, a very forward / in-your-face sound, it should sound like music is surrounding you, like you're the center of music, similar experience to being on a dancefloor at a nightclub or on the stage of a band, not sounding like you'd be in the crowd further back in the audience (think ATH-AD700/900, Sennheiser HD800, AKG K70x etc) so it seems like it would be a "distance" to the music. At the same time I don't like really poor soundstage, I want that "out-of-head" experience but I want it to sound like I'm the center of the music, it doesn't have to be the biggest soundstage but it should have clear positioning as if you can picture the directions of the sounds coming out of your head though, 

OT, This is pretty much what I look for in any headphone / IEMs. The EX1000 does it brilliantly for me but I have yet to find a headphone that does. I find the positioning on the AD900 a bit vague, as you suggest. Will a HD600 satisfy me?

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #131 of 2,849
Well the XB500 does this for me, I actually really like the soundstage/positioning, optimally it could be just slightly bigger (wider) but it really puts me in the center of the music, feeling of being ON-STAGE with the band and positioning is very clear and out-out-the head (thanks to the openings at the back of the cup, covering these and the soundstage is totally ruined, claustrophobic etc). So yea XB500 soundstage, just tiny bit bigger would be perfect but then again when listening to music collection on my comp I use a custom Dolby Headphone config for foobar2000 that ofc brings a night and day improvement to the soundstage, both makes it larger and much more out of the head with more focus on positioning so when using that I don't have any urge for bigger soundstage (it's pretty much perfect) but if not using that config I'd want a little bigger soundstage.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #132 of 2,849
So I finally hit the place order button on amazon. It has been sitting in my cart since friday lol. It's hard to have this interest in headphones and be a painting student at the same time.
I've spent more or less $500 on paint supplies already >.< I hope I get more use out of this than my iem :D

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #133 of 2,849
Well RPGwizard. I hope you go into this one with a clean slate. Sound description aside I think if you go into this one with the expectation of getting something new. Then they will surprise you. I mean they are Budget cans after all. They don't sound like budget cans and that is where these surprise the most.. .Will they replace your XB500s? Maybe,maybe not but from what you describe in your likes these are gonna perhaps surprise you the most in a good way.. They have completely surprised me to no end and I have a feeling once more guys try these out. These are well on their way of being accepted around here and for good reason.. Believe me guys I am just as excited for all you guys that are trying these out as you all are...

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #134 of 2,849
Does anyone know why sometimes if you buy from Amazon they say "You will not see any tracking updates for "x" amount of days"?.  That crap irritates me.  I for sure thought I was getting the Panny's today, but it looks like I'll receive tomorrow.  I wonder if the postal service just ghosted my phones.  Punks.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #135 of 2,849

Quote:
Does anyone know why sometimes if you buy from Amazon they say "You will not see any tracking updates for "x" amount of days"?.  That crap irritates me.  I for sure thought I was getting the Panny's today, but it looks like I'll receive tomorrow.  I wonder if the postal service just ghosted my phones.  Punks.

Ya that is irritating.. It is only with the 3rd party vendors that happens to. Amazon themselves are good about showing accurate dates but it is always the 3rd parties.. I have been surprised by a few that actually send faster so you never know. Look forward to your impressions my friend..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back