The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #781 of 2,849
"On Truck for delivery today"

I'll post impressions this evening.  The only concern I have is the ports on the earcups, as I intend to use them on planes and such, so hopefully sound leakage is minimal.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #783 of 2,849

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it.  I got it for $30 at Goodwill:).  It works fine for my purposes, and there are plenty of headphones I've used through it that don't sound dry and lifeless.  Furthermore, I've tested headphones through both the Denon and the Fiio E9 I used to own, and I couldn't discern any appreciable sound quality differences (except with the noticeable hiss that's to be expected from the headphone out on a receiver).  Maybe my ears aren't that good, but I'm satisfied with it.  And my Boston HD5s sound gooooood from it (although that could just be the speakers themselves).

I love vintage gear so I avoid Goodwill and Craigslist. Otherwise, I'd have dozens of receivers and turntables! I have too many as it is and have to keep them at the office (WAF).

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #784 of 2,849
Well, my HT890s arrived today, and I have some very early, first hour impressions.  These listening impressions were generated by the gear seen in my sig, namely my Woo Audio WA6 tube amp and CIA VDA-2 DAC.  Is plugging a $45 pair of headphones into a $620 amp silly?  We'll see.  My impressions are naturally going to be biased by my primary use headphone, the AKG K701 so do keep that in mind as well.

I was prepared to be disappointed by these, but they are in fact pretty nice sounding.  The most obvious deficiency is a pretty pronounced lack of high frequency extension, but Panasonic almost seems to have done it at least partially on purpose.  They have a clear midrange bias, right in the 500-1200hz range to my ears but it's implemented well enough that it doesn't sound too terribly unnaturally colored or nasal sounding.  It definitely sounds out of place at times, depending upon the music in question, but without the top end presence the focus will naturally fall to the range below and that is what is happening here.  They have better clarity than I expected for such a cheap phone, but the texture and detail to resolve instrument timbre isn't really there.  Given it's price and mission I think Panasonic did a decent job in voicing these, they are smooth and non-fatiguing without sounding veiled.

One noteworthy fly in the ointment:  I'm detecting a very pronounced resonance at a certain band in the upper midrange that seems to be caused a lack of enclosure damping.  It turns those frequencies into a very hard edged and shouty affair and sounds quite bad.  I'm only hearing it on certain types of material, often brought on by strong female vocals.

The bass is there, but I wasn't blown away by it.  It does try to hit the notes themselves instead of falling back to the residual note next octave up like many cheap headphones have to do.  I also don't hear much in the way of boominess or midbass bloat, again very nice for a $45 headphone.  They do okay for transients and dynamics too.  They're even comfortable and have very distinct ear positioning so you don't have to worry about experimenting with up/down and forward/back placement of the cups on your head to achieve the best sound.

On a final note, I'm not all that impressed by the build quality.  They look great for their price, but feel a little cheesy when you hold them, and the headband is particularly so.  They don't feel like they'll fall apart, but my expectations were not exceeded here at the very least.  The cloth cable is kind of nice though, and doesn't transmit microphonics into the left earcup.

We shall see if these open up with some use.  I certainly think they are worth the $45 I paid for them, perhaps a bit more.  They are not an undiscovered treasure though, especially not with the midrange glare issue I'm hearing.  I'm hoping break-in helps to tame that, otherwise their use for music listening is severely hampered by this one flaw.  I can see these being great for late night movie watching though, the midrange should make dialogue very clear.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #785 of 2,849
Just received mine today. Out of the gates, these panasonics sound better than the JVC Rx700 when I first got those. I notice more of a bass presence than the RX700s have.The RX700s have over 100hrs burn in and sound amazing but if these Panasonics sound this good out of the box, I have a feeling they will overtake my JVCs in sound quality after burn in. Too me thats a tall order but I hear the potential in these. I will post my after burn in impressions. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #786 of 2,849
The bass is fine in the midband, but go low enough and it becomes non-existent.  Just listened to something with a 40hz fundamental and all I hear is the driver going "pop pop" in vain.  I can't say I'm really surprised by this, but given all the ranting about how great the bass is on these and the 600s I was keeping my fingers crossed anyway.  I think I'm going to roll some different tubes into the amp and see how the 890's respond.  The drivers in the amp right now are far from my best..... we'll see if my National Union 6SN7GT blackglass drivers can wake the Pannys up a bit.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #787 of 2,849

Quote:
Well, my HT890s arrived today, and I have some very early, first hour impressions.  These listening impressions were generated by the gear seen in my sig, namely my Woo Audio WA6 tube amp and CIA VDA-2 DAC.  Is plugging a $45 pair of headphones into a $620 amp silly?  We'll see.  My impressions are naturally going to be biased by my primary use headphone, the AKG K701 so do keep that in mind as well.

I was prepared to be disappointed by these, but they are in fact pretty nice sounding.  The most obvious deficiency is a pretty pronounced lack of high frequency extension, but Panasonic almost seems to have done it at least partially on purpose.  They have a clear midrange bias, right in the 500-1200hz range to my ears but it's implemented well enough that it doesn't sound too terribly unnaturally colored or nasal sounding.  It definitely sounds out of place at times, depending upon the music in question, but without the top end presence the focus will naturally fall to the range below and that is what is happening here.  They have better clarity than I expected for such a cheap phone, but the texture and detail to resolve instrument timbre isn't really there.  Given it's price and mission I think Panasonic did a decent job in voicing these, they are smooth and non-fatiguing without sounding veiled.

One noteworthy fly in the ointment:  I'm detecting a very pronounced resonance at a certain band in the upper midrange that seems to be caused a lack of enclosure damping.  It turns those frequencies into a very hard edged and shouty affair and sounds quite bad.  I'm only hearing it on certain types of material, often brought on by strong female vocals.

The bass is there, but I wasn't blown away by it.  It does try to hit the notes themselves instead of falling back to the residual note next octave up like many cheap headphones have to do.  I also don't hear much in the way of boominess or midbass bloat, again very nice for a $45 headphone.  They do okay for transients and dynamics too.  They're even comfortable and have very distinct ear positioning so you don't have to worry about experimenting with up/down and forward/back placement of the cups on your head to achieve the best sound.

On a final note, I'm not all that impressed by the build quality.  They look great for their price, but feel a little cheesy when you hold them, and the headband is particularly so.  They don't feel like they'll fall apart, but my expectations were not exceeded here at the very least.  The cloth cable is kind of nice though, and doesn't transmit microphonics into the left earcup.

We shall see if these open up with some use.  I certainly think they are worth the $45 I paid for them, perhaps a bit more.  They are not an undiscovered treasure though, especially not with the midrange glare issue I'm hearing.  I'm hoping break-in helps to tame that, otherwise their use for music listening is severely hampered by this one flaw.  I can see these being great for late night movie watching though, the midrange should make dialogue very clear.

Nice impressions.. I would definitely give them a burn in.. It seems Panasonic headphones are not pre burned at all from the factory..I would throw these at a similar value and performance to the Samson SR850..The samsons have better bass.. These are less fatiguing sounding however.. My HT770s sounded a bit thin when I heard them out of box..They had this weird crackle sound when I was in the middle of burning them and after around 40 hours or so the crackle was gone so that tells me the drivers were flexing. I was kinda worried actually. Keep them burning and they should become more cohesive and smoother. If you hear a strange crackle coming out of the driver on them it is probably doing the same thing as it did on mine. You might not get this issue. For the money thy aren't bad at all. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #788 of 2,849

Quote:
The bass is fine in the midband, but go low enough and it becomes non-existent.  Just listened to something with a 40hz fundamental and all I hear is the driver going "pop pop" in vain.  I can't say I'm really surprised by this, but given all the ranting about how great the bass is on these and the 600s I was keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Ya this may be what is happening on yours.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #789 of 2,849
Indeed.  Maybe I should've tried the 600s, but I generally don't care for closed headphones.  As evinced by my primary use phones, an open soundstage is very important to me.

edit:  ah, and speaking of soundstage on these, it is okay but nothing special.  Pretty open, but it doesn't image naturally or produce a 3-dimenional space well.  You more or less get a left field and a right field with the expected center image being taken up by vocals and not much else at times.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #790 of 2,849
Torture test:  piano music.  They do fairly well!  There is some resonance and midband coloration, but it sounds good enough to be enjoyable and the transients are pretty crisp.  This is definitely praise coming from me, because I think my K701s only do "okay" with piano quite frankly (it isn't one of its strong points).

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #791 of 2,849

Quote:
Indeed.  Maybe I should've tried the 600s, but I generally don't care for closed headphones.  As evinced by my primary use phones, an open soundstage is very important to me.

edit:  ah, and speaking of soundstage on these, it is okay but nothing special.  Pretty open, but it doesn't image naturally or produce a 3-dimenional space well.  You more or less get a left field and a right field with the expected center image being taken up by vocals and not much else at times.

The HTF600 are more Semi open than closed..They do have a bigger boxy stage but once burned in they become something that all I can say is special for a headphone this cheap . I am going to say the HTF600s  are clearly the better phone out of the 2. Though for the guys that like a wide stage for gaming and immersion the HTF890 will do games better and is more accurate than the AD700 in 3D gaming. .I think you would have been more impressed with the abilities of the HTF600 over the HTF890..Burn those in for the rest of the week and see what happens.

I don't know about now but I would definitely try a HTF600 in the future. You know come to think of it, instruments in general sounds really good on the HTF890s. Burn my friend burn..

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #792 of 2,849
Bad synergy with the Woo may also be part of the problem.  Time and experimentation will tell, but I just plugged them into a cheap DAP I had lying on the shelf to play them for burn-in and thought they had better tone.  Some phones sound great on the Woo and some really don't. 

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #793 of 2,849

Quote:
@Marximus.. I bet your HTF600s will sound fuller today. How they sound to you today?

I haven't done any real "burn-in" with them; that is, all of their playtime has been on my head.  I estimate about four or five hours right now.  They don't sound too different from yesterday; maybe slightly more liquid.  They're still a whole bucket of fun, and very satisfying.  If I had to criticize them, it'd be a slight lack of clarity (a bit of thickness, if you will), but I think the law forbids me from complaining too much about a $30 pair of headphones:).  And this is in comparison to all the mid-to-high-end cans I've heard, so I definitely don't have much room for complaining.  I like that they're not fatiguing, so I can listen to pretty much anything and not be offended.  I probably will get the velours when my card gets refunded for the HE-300s.

Oct 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #794 of 2,849

Quote:
I haven't done any real "burn-in" with them; that is, all of their playtime has been on my head.  I estimate about four or five hours right now.  They don't sound too different from yesterday; maybe slightly more liquid.  They're still a whole bucket of fun, and very satisfying.  If I had to criticize them, it'd be a slight lack of clarity (a bit of thickness, if you will), but I think the law forbids me from complaining too much about a $30 pair of headphones:).

Hmm I only wish you guys can hear my pair. Seriously. It is astonishing and I keep saying this but. I honestly think they smooth out even more so with more time. Everything sounds just damn smooth on them with the velours it is amazing. Try n give them a burn in tonight. You will be surprised at how much more fuller sounding and smoother they become.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #795 of 2,849
My RP-HTF600-S arrived today, it took 6 days to ship to me from L.A. (500 miles), using Fedex Smartpost, UPS ground normally takes two days.
First off they have the look and feel of $35 plastic headphones.
They are light and comfortable to wear.
Very thin cord, tempted to replace it with Mogami quad cable (but way in the future).
Figured out using a really small screwdriver helps for putting on the Velour pads.

Been comparing the HTF600 to my DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm
My source is a Asus Xonar Essence STX, with 2 LME49860NA op-amp upgrades.
The HTF600 gives the DT-770 Pro a run for the money.
Been testing with Rock and Classical music.
The DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cost me three times more the the HTF600/Velour pads.
Can't wait to see what 50 hours of burn in time does for the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back