The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #751 of 2,849

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not expecting them to be great all around cans or as good for music. 

The HTF600 works well enough for gaming. Let me start out by saying I have never used a can with a notoriously large sound stage so I have no real point of reference but to me in game with the HTF600 most of the sounds feel pretty close. I definitely didn't have the type of experience that some people describe with the AD700 as far as sound stage goes. I'm not some huge competitive gamer so its really not a huge deal but I kind of just wanted to play around with a fully open can too. 

Well you did good by getting the HTF890. They are better at music and games/ movies than the AD700s because they actually have better bass than the anemic bass light ad700. While having a huge wide stage. Very similar to the AD700s. I think the AD700s are just a tad bigger but almost the same..They will compliment your HTF600s nicely for something completely different. I used them most on hot days for gaming and movies as they are so comfortable. I think it is better to get something completely different than something similar.. So in that sense you are getting Panasonics best 1n 2.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #752 of 2,849

Quote:
I believe in burn in about as much as I believe in cable lifters, silver contact paint, and pixie dust. But OK, I'm doing it. I won't listen to them again until they have 50 hours!

By the way, I tried to order velour pads when I ordered the phones and they are nowhere to be found right now. If anyone finds them somewhere, speak up!

Pro-sound.com has them, or at least they don't say they're out of stock on their website.

http://www.pro-sound.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSS&Product_Code=SBEYEP4&Category_Code=BS

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #753 of 2,849
I noticed a few comments about whether burn in is real...and I honestly can tell you that the difference is night and day.  Out of the box, these sound compressed and weak (not audiophile terms, but the best words I can use to describe the sound).  I had gotten these based on Malveux and Dsnuts' recommendations, and I was seriously wondering what they were talking about.  But then I let them play for a few more hours, and my god the sound kicked in.  Let them play overnight, and the next day they were even more full.  Rich and full.  I agree, I don't buy into most hocus pocus in terms of cables, etc., but I cannot deny the increase in sound quality the more these were burned in.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #755 of 2,849

Quote:

Pro-sound.com has them, or at least they don't say they're out of stock on their website.

http://www.pro-sound.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSS&Product_Code=SBEYEP4&Category_Code=BS

Has anyone ordered from them?
Not sure if I should bite or wait...

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #756 of 2,849
MalVeauX, you seriously want to put 4 subs on your entertainment center?!?!?!?!

WOW! lol

Your house must be pretty big.
With the 1 I have I fill most of my home and I can't even imagine having 2 let alone 4!!!

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #758 of 2,849

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not expecting them to be great all around cans or as good for music. 

The HTF600 works well enough for gaming. Let me start out by saying I have never used a can with a notoriously large sound stage so I have no real point of reference but to me in game with the HTF600 most of the sounds feel pretty close. I definitely didn't have the type of experience that some people describe with the AD700 as far as sound stage goes. I'm not some huge competitive gamer so its really not a huge deal but I kind of just wanted to play around with a fully open can too. 

[size=medium]I cannot wait to hear your opinion on HTF600 vs HTF890 in gaming.  [/size]

Quote:
I would keep the AD700. The texture those cans provide is very immersive.....while they aren't dig down low monsters....I still LOVE them.

You need a nice collection of cans that do different things very well since no cans does everything PERFECT.

For an open airy spacious sound and lush midrange the AD700 are difficult to beat.....plus they're a great build quality with all that metal everywhere.

[size=medium]I’m having second thoughts about letting them go too.   LOL.  Last night I spent 2 hours playing BFBC2 (using “war tapes” audio) and I really like them.  I’m using cheap Asus Xonar DG card with built-in head AMP and with amp and some EQ to help low frequencies, the bass presence is there (I just wish it was a little bit more).  It won’t vibrate my brains out, but it is there.     Since I have a bigger than average head (aka sputnik head)  AD700 fit my head perfectly.   I could seriously sleep with them on.     Also I find them nice when I listen to classical or live/stage music.    However I could use something better for techno/dance/trance… Like you guys always say no cans are perfect…   I’m almost positive if AD700 were selling for $50 they would get more respect from people.   At $100 bracket I think there is way too much competition…[/size]

[size=medium]Regardless I'm still thinking about picking up HTF600 for WORK and home (music).... [/size]

[size=medium]BTW… does amazon.com still selling the cushion pads?  I couldn’t find them anywhere this morning? [/size]

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #760 of 2,849
Amazon.co.uk sends like to any country and the shipping is quite cheap too, don't think it's more than I think £8.79 even to Brazil so it would cost you like £38.14 or 108 BRL according to xe.com. They are currently out of stock on amazon.co.uk though.

^ I like especially the sound of drums on this headphone in rock / metal, they have a lot of impact so you can really "feel" the drums too and it's snappy and sounds like a real drum and the midrange is wonderfully forward so yea it's quite energetic to listen to and should fit nicely with metal due to the punchy lows and forward mids of this headphone.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #761 of 2,849

Quote:
Damn, this might be the headphone that I'm looking for! Is it good to listen metal? And what about this kind of music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUKFJ5l7bcU

Do you know any site that ships it out of the USA? I live in Brazil and can't find it here :frowning2:

One of my favorite Bands of all time.. SEPULTURA. Yes my friend try n get one. These are awesome for Metal!! I saw them live at red rocks.

Ambient needs good bass too and full mids. These cans are what you need.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #762 of 2,849

Quote:
I believe in burn in about as much as I believe in cable lifters, silver contact paint, and pixie dust. But OK, I'm doing it. I won't listen to them again until they have 50 hours!

By the way, I tried to order velour pads when I ordered the phones and they are nowhere to be found right now. If anyone finds them somewhere, speak up!

Well with all due respect both of us being home audio guys I understand your concern. I too do not believe in most of that Audiophilia nonsense voodoo crap.

But to say that burn in does not apply to any type of driver would be like saying that the wood harvested from a tree does not have to brought down to 6% before it can be used in a woodworking project....2 days after you finish that chair or table or bookshelf you'll be left with a twisted and unusable mess.

But.....if you have an understanding of manufacturing processes of speakers and different materials used in driver manufacturing you'd know that for instance not every speaker surround is made from the same material....some are butyl rubber....some are nitrile rubber....some are santropene....some are foam, in addition to countless others.

There are various materials and they all act differently when they are first cast from the mold to the time when they are stretched out and stabilize.

There are adhesives used that are stiff when first applied but have a natural give to them and that needs to be stabilized by various heat/cool down/rest/movement cycles..... and it applies to every driver out there.

I absolutely 10000% percent believe every driver in the world no matter if it's a 1" tweeter....to an 18" subwoofer.....even a little puny full range 50 mm headphone driver needs burn in.

You do realize that with high cost drivers they are burned in at the manufacturer and that is one factor  that contributes to their higher cost?

With a pair of headphones that hit the street at $25 the luxury of using factory burned drivers is not an option.

But guess what....I bet that same driver could be offered for 4X the price....the only difference being that it's burned in for 100 hours before being sent off to the build house.

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #763 of 2,849

Quote:
But guess what....I bet that same driver could be offered for 4X the price....the only difference being that it's burned in for 100 hours before being sent off to the build house.

And that my friend is the only logical reason I can think of why these Panasonics are sold for so cheap! lol

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #764 of 2,849
Amazon is kinda restrictive when dealing with brazilians (they have their reasons and I support it). They ship to Brazil only what is sold by them and right now it's out of stock =/

Quote:
Amazon.co.uk sends like to any country and the shipping is quite cheap too, don't think it's more than I think £8.79 even to Brazil so it would cost you like £38.14 or 108 BRL according to xe.com. They are currently out of stock on amazon.co.uk though.

^ I like especially the sound of drums on this headphone in rock / metal, they have a lot of impact so you can really "feel" the drums too and it's snappy and sounds like a real drum and the midrange is wonderfully forward so yea it's quite energetic to listen to and should fit nicely with metal due to the punchy lows and forward mids of this headphone.

Thanks a lot! You should check Sarcófago's INRI. It's a highly regarded album.

Quote:
One of my favorite Bands of all time.. SEPULTURA. Yes my friend try n get one. These are awesome for Metal!! I saw them live at red rocks.

Ambient needs good bass too and full mids. These cans are what you need.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #765 of 2,849

Quote:
Well with all due respect both of us being home audio guys I understand your concern. I too do not believe in most of that Audiophilia nonsense voodoo crap.

But to say that burn in does not apply to any type of driver would be like saying that the wood harvested from a tree does not have to brought down to 6% before it can be used in a woodworking project....2 days after you finish that chair or table or bookshelf you'll be left with a twisted and unusable mess.

But.....if you have an understanding of manufacturing processes of speakers and different materials used in driver manufacturing you'd know that for instance not every speaker surround is made from the same material....some are butyl rubber....some are nitrile rubber....some are santropene....some are foam, in addition to countless others.

There are various materials and they all act differently when they are first cast from the mold to the time when they are stretched out and stabilize.

There are adhesives used that are stiff when first applied but have a natural give to them and that needs to be stabilized by various heat/cool down/rest/movement cycles..... and it applies to every driver out there.

I absolutely 10000% percent believe every driver in the world no matter if it's a 1" tweeter....to an 18" subwoofer.....even a little puny full range 50 mm headphone driver needs burn in.

You do realize that with high cost drivers they are burned in at the manufacturer and that is one factor  that contributes to their higher cost?

With a pair of headphones that hit the street at $25 the luxury of using factory burned drivers is not an option.

I do admit that speaker driver burn-in is plausible (for many of the reasons you point out). That's why I am open to it and am trying it now - in spite of the fact that I have never noticed the phenomenon with any of the speakers or headphones I have owned over the years.

My Panny's are cooking with some Pandora streaming club/trance music as I type this. I took a little sneak listen to them this morning (after burning all night) and the jury's still out. I'll report back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back