The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 20, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #797 of 2,849

Quote:
My RP-HTF600-S arrived today, it took 6 days to ship to me from L.A. (500 miles), using Fedex Smartpost, UPS ground normally takes two days.
First off they have the look and feel of $35 plastic headphones.
They are light and comfortable to wear.
Very thin cord, tempted to replace it with Mogami quad cable (but way in the future).
Figured out using a really small screwdriver helps for putting on the Velour pads.

Been comparing the HTF600 to my DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm
My source is a Asus Xonar Essence STX, with 2 LME49860NA op-amp upgrades.
The HTF600 gives the DT-770 Pro a run for the money.
Been testing with Rock and Classical music.
The DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm cost me three times more the the HTF600/Velour pads.
Can't wait to see what 50 hours of burn in time does for the sound.

Nice...  them and check them out tomorrow. It think it is kinda fun to hear the various stages of the burn actually.. The end product is awesome on a level I wasn't prepared for.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #798 of 2,849

Quote:
I am burning my 600s right now. I am repeating Van Morrison's Greatest Hits for 20 hours. Is this ok or is there a better way?

You got anything more bass heavy? If not try a dance radio station and just leave it playing on that.  I think anything will work as long as it is played a bit loud. .Now these leak sound at night so I just throw a blanket over the stuff and let it play...

I use my laptop with a bunch of Dub, DnB..Trance and hiphop.  Playing in a loop..Nothing like some Dub and DnB to punch out them drivers. I think it takes less time with this type of music punching out the drivers. Just a theory I have.. General rule of thumb on the burn. It should be loud to your ears when you hear the volume and then after you take it off your head.. Throw up just a tad more juice and that should be a good volume to loosen the drivers.

I have always thought. It would be very cool if a HP manufacturer can come up with an adaptive sound signature Dynamic Diaphram where pending on your sound preference..A certain type of burn would form to it.  How cool would it be to get a headphone that will change depending on the type of music you throw on it. SO for example if one was to be into their instrumentals .. The sound stage open up very detailed and clear..  Or if one was a Basshead. Throwing a bunch of 80/90 hip hop produces a dynamic bass heavy headphone yet fully balanced... I think I am just talking out of my arse. hahaha. Just a thought. As crazy as this sounds you never know if someone is trying to make something like this..

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #799 of 2,849

Quote:
You got anything more bass heavy? If not try a dance radio station and just leave it playing on that.  I think anything will work as long as it is played a bit loud. .Now these leak sound at night so I just throw a blanket over the stuff and let it play...

sound like a perfect cans for cubical work hahahhaahah....
deadhorse.gif
   I'm sorry Dsnuts I couldn't resist... 

I cannot wait for my 2 sets to arrive, if they won't work (due to sound leakage) at work I'll sent one set to my half-bro in Europe (he is a vivid PC gamer) and I'm sure he will like them
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #800 of 2,849
By the way I know we like to talk about how bass this and that these HTF600s have which in itself is worth talking about. But these really sound great for just about any type of music out there.. The full warmness and non fatiguing sound on these does just about every genre in a good way actually..

I hope these work out for you there amd7674..I am listening to them now as I type.. These are just crazy good is all I can tell you..

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #801 of 2,849
OK, here's my mid-term update. My Panny's have about 25 hours on them now.

I listened to them for a couple of hours today and have some interesting observations. First of all, I do have to admit that the sound has changed for the better (much to my surprise). They have the same signature that they had out of the box, but the exaggerated mid-bass has been tamed a little. The treble still sounds more or less the same, which is to say recessed. Mids are also more or less the same - forward with some bloat at the lower-mids.

Now I'll get more specific. Sorry, but my age betrays my musical taste so some of you may not be able to relate to all of my observations...
bigsmile_face.gif

For Electronica (trance, dance, techno, etc.), these Panny's sound great! The bass emphasis really adds body and gives the impression of resonance below the belt. At the high end, treble is crystal clear without being harsh. This is low bitrate music streamed over Pandora so these phones definitely smooth out the 1's and 0's and make this type of music fun. There is no sense of space/air/ambience, but I don't think there is supposed to be.

Now for the music I listen to...

Classic and Prog Rock from the 60's and 70's. I'm talking about Yes, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, etc. to name a few. Most of these recordings clearly reveal the exaggerated bass to the point of distraction for me. The Panny's also sounded a little thick and muddy. Recessed treble is an issue for me here too, but I attribute that to my personal taste and not a deficiency of the headphone. At lower volumes, the bloated bass actually helped the sound here - adding a "Loudness Button" effect to the sound and adding some bass body to music that at low volume, would have none.

Now for the bad news for me. Acoustic music, close-miked jazz especially (Patricia Barber, Don McLean, etc.) The Panny's ruin it for me here. The bass doesn't go low, and the attempt to compensate with bloated mid-bass results in an unfocused, smeared sound the can transform complex, beautifully articulate bass lines and percussion into a blurry goo. Male Vocals (and lower-pitched females too) also sound bloated on the bottom here. Acoustic guitar sounds muddy and thick. Details like strings being plucked and decay are smeared out of existence. There is no sense of air or space around instruments/vocals - the music is simply crammed into the middle of the small soundstage. I also experienced this with well-recorded electronic music. Bjork, for example, uses a lot of complex textures with both electronic and acoustic sounds on her albums. The Panny's were unable to pull the detail from her music for me as well. Surprisingly though, when I listened to jazz/acoustic over Pandora, it wasn't bad - somehow the artificial compression and low bitrate makes these headphones sound better - I can't explain why that is.

I tried the Panny's with my iPod too (same songs) and didn't really notice a difference in sound unamped. I really think these Panny's don't respond well to amplification and are designed (intentionally or not) for portable devices and MP3 music. Taken in this light, I wouldn't hesitate to take them with me when I travel for hotel room iPod listening. I do have velour pads on order and if they improve the bass bloat even a little, I'll be pleased.

In any case, they are a screaming deal for $30. They sound terrific in a fun colored way with certain kinds of music and sound way above their price point with electronic/pop music. They are always laid back and non-fatiguing. Even at their worst, they were smooth and easy to listen to - I would never believe they were so inexpensive! The fact that they are inarticulate with well-recorded close-miked acoustic music shouldn't be a surprise at this price point. I don't expect significant changes over the next 24 hours of burn-in, but even a small movement in the direction they have already taken would be welcome. I'm definitely keeping them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any casual listener.

EDIT: I've re-read my post and realize that I may have been too hard on the headphones in my attempt to describe them accurately. I could have said very briefly that they sound thick in the middle like Marximus did and that would be accurate of my opinion of them. Hopefully, my critical description doesn't give the wrong impression.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #802 of 2,849

Quote:

I use my laptop with a bunch of Dub, DnB..Trance and hiphop.  Playing in a loop..Nothing like some Dub and DnB to punch out them drivers. I think it takes less time with this type of music punching out the drivers. Just a theory I have.. General rule of thumb on the burn. It should be loud to your ears when you hear the volume and then after you take it off your head.. Throw up just a tad more juice and that should be a good volume to loosen the drivers.

I have always thought. It would be very cool if a HP manufacturer can come up with an adaptive sound signature Dynamic Diaphram where pending on your sound preference..A certain type of burn would form to it.  How cool would it be to get a headphone that will change depending on the type of music you throw on it. SO for example if one was to be into their instrumentals .. The sound stage open up very detailed and clear..  Or if one was a Basshead. Throwing a bunch of 80/90 hip hop produces a dynamic bass heavy headphone yet fully balanced... I think I am just talking out of my arse. hahaha. Just a thought. As crazy as this sounds you never know if someone is trying to make something like this..

I put Kraftwerk on. I think that should pound on those drivers pretty good.  Great idea on the adaptive diaphram thing.  You never know what the future holds. Thanks for the your help DSNuts

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #803 of 2,849

Quote:
I am burning my 600s right now. I am repeating Van Morrison's Greatest Hits for 20 hours. Is this ok or is there a better way?

I used one of those 3000 MB Dubstep torrents Heavy Dubstep 2010 part 8 or 9.... it's something like 9 hours of music.....did that for about 45 to 50 hours.

After that I started listening to some Metal and Jazz/Fusion which is what made them really wake up.....they were like...."finally some GOOD music"
L3000.gif
NOW we're waking up for you all loosened up and ready to go.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #804 of 2,849

Quote:
I put Kraftwerk on. I think that should pound on those drivers pretty good.  Great idea on the adaptive diaphram thing.  You never know what the future holds. Thanks for the your help DSNuts

Quote:
The fact that they are inarticulate with well-recorded close-miked acoustic music shouldn't be a surprise at this price point.

EDIT: I've re-read my post and realize that I may have been too hard on the headphones in my attempt to describe them accurately. I could have said very briefly that they sound thick in the middle like Marximus did and that would be accurate of my opinion of them. Hopefully, my critical description doesn't give the wrong impression.

Thats odd.....I hear low level detail on certain recordings that are no louder on my A700 or AD700.

Theres are details that I never expected to show up on these cans....and they do.

It's possible that my DAC is so resolving that I'm hearing things I shouldn't?

What recordings are you referring to that were the worst offenders so I can give it a go for myself?

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #805 of 2,849
So.....these have been "On Vehicle for delivery" since 7:16am, and it is now 9:09pm, and it still says they're out for delivery.  It's past business hours, I can't believe they are not here yet, or at least been sent back to UPS to be delivered for tomorrow.  Unbelievable. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #806 of 2,849

Quote:

Thats odd.....I hear low level detail on certain recordings that are no louder on my A700 or AD700.

Theres are details that I never expected to show up on these cans....and they do.

It's possible that my DAC is so resolving that I'm hearing things I shouldn't?

What recordings are you referring to that were the worst offenders so I can give it a go for myself?

Maybe you're right.

Right off the top of my head, some examples of smearing...

Bjork "Isobel" from the album "Post."
Elis Regina & Antonio Jobim "Aguas de Marco" from the album "Elis & Tom."
Diana Krall "Besame Mucho" from the album "The Look of Love."

And let me reiterate that I do think these headphones sound remarkably smooth and refined for the price. It's just that pumped up mid-bass...

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #807 of 2,849
Oh men... I cannot listen to dance/techno songs anymore on my AD700, I think my KSC75 jogging set has more bass to offer...
rolleyes.gif
   The bass presence is there but it is not enough....

Please let me know how HTF600 go with below tunes (oldies but goodies)...

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #808 of 2,849

Quote:

Maybe you're right.

Right off the top of my head, some examples of smearing...

Bjork "Isobel" from the album "Post."
Elis Regina & Antonio Jobim "Aguas de Marco" from the album "Elis & Tom."
Diana Krall "Besame Mucho" from the album "The Look of Love."

And let me reiterate that I do think these headphones sound remarkably smooth and refined for the price. It's just that pumped up mid-bass...

I appreciate your input Assimilator702!  I dug out the notes I took and here are some more:

Ivan Lins "The Island" from the album "Legends of Jazz: Showcase."
Kathy Kosins "Tomorrow is Another Day" from the album "Vintage."
Dire Straits "Water of Love" from the album "Dire Straits."
Fleetwood Mac "Second Hand News" from the album "Rumours."

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #809 of 2,849

Quote:
OK, here's my mid-term update. My Panny's have about 25 hours on them now.

I listened to them for a couple of hours today and have some interesting observations. First of all, I do have to admit that the sound has changed for the better (much to my surprise). They have the same signature that they had out of the box, but the exaggerated mid-bass has been tamed a little. The treble still sounds more or less the same, which is to say recessed. Mids are also more or less the same - forward with some bloat at the lower-mids.

Now I'll get more specific. Sorry, but my age betrays my musical taste so some of you may not be able to relate to all of my observations...
bigsmile_face.gif

For Electronica (trance, dance, techno, etc.), these Panny's sound great! The bass emphasis really adds body and gives the impression of resonance below the belt. At the high end, treble is crystal clear without being harsh. This is low bitrate music streamed over Pandora so these phones definitely smooth out the 1's and 0's and make this type of music fun. There is no sense of space/air/ambience, but I don't think there is supposed to be.

Now for the music I listen to...

Classic and Prog Rock from the 60's and 70's. I'm talking about Yes, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project, etc. to name a few. Most of these recordings clearly reveal the exaggerated bass to the point of distraction for me. The Panny's also sounded a little thick and muddy. Recessed treble is an issue for me here too, but I attribute that to my personal taste and not a deficiency of the headphone. At lower volumes, the bloated bass actually helped the sound here - adding a "Loudness Button" effect to the sound and adding some bass body to music that at low volume, would have none.

Now for the bad news for me. Acoustic music, close-miked jazz especially (Patricia Barber, Don McLean, etc.) The Panny's ruin it for me here. The bass doesn't go low, and the attempt to compensate with bloated mid-bass results in an unfocused, smeared sound the can transform complex, beautifully articulate bass lines and percussion into a blurry goo. Male Vocals (and lower-pitched females too) also sound bloated on the bottom here. Acoustic guitar sounds muddy and thick. Details like strings being plucked and decay are smeared out of existence. There is no sense of air or space around instruments/vocals - the music is simply crammed into the middle of the small soundstage. I also experienced this with well-recorded electronic music. Bjork, for example, uses a lot of complex textures with both electronic and acoustic sounds on her albums. The Panny's were unable to pull the detail from her music for me as well. Surprisingly though, when I listened to jazz/acoustic over Pandora, it wasn't bad - somehow the artificial compression and low bitrate makes these headphones sound better - I can't explain why that is.

I tried the Panny's with my iPod too (same songs) and didn't really notice a difference in sound unamped. I really think these Panny's don't respond well to amplification and are designed (intentionally or not) for portable devices and MP3 music. Taken in this light, I wouldn't hesitate to take them with me when I travel for hotel room iPod listening. I do have velour pads on order and if they improve the bass bloat even a little, I'll be pleased.

In any case, they are a screaming deal for $30. They sound terrific in a fun colored way with certain kinds of music and sound way above their price point with electronic/pop music. They are always laid back and non-fatiguing. Even at their worst, they were smooth and easy to listen to - I would never believe they were so inexpensive! The fact that they are inarticulate with well-recorded close-miked acoustic music shouldn't be a surprise at this price point. I don't expect significant changes over the next 24 hours of burn-in, but even a small movement in the direction they have already taken would be welcome. I'm definitely keeping them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any casual listener.

No worries.. I don't expect the HTF600 to be super Headphones..Especially when guys own nice equipment and much more high end headphones than these.. But you can see why they are awesome for the cash and that is the main point of these phones..Casual listening got a shot in the arm with these and If you think about what you got for the money previous to these it is just unreal for the money imo..I think you will be pleased what the velours are going to do for your HTF600s once you get them..They will change for the better once you get a bit more time on them drivers and the velours. .

Quote:

Thats what I am talking about. The bassier the bigger low end the better for them drivers to push out.

Quote:
So.....these have been "On Vehicle for delivery" since 7:16am, and it is now 9:09pm, and it still says they're out for delivery.  It's past business hours, I can't believe they are not here yet, or at least been sent back to UPS to be delivered for tomorrow.  Unbelievable. 

Just go to sleep.. Hey it will be like Christmas in October.. You wake up to a nice surprise. haha

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #810 of 2,849

Quote:
I appreciate your input Assimilator702!  I dug out the notes I took and here are some more:

Ivan Lins "The Island" from the album "Legends of Jazz: Showcase."
Kathy Kosins "Tomorrow is Another Day" from the album "Vintage."
Dire Straits "Water of Love" from the album "Dire Straits."
Fleetwood Mac "Second Hand News" from the album "Rumours."

Could the mid bass be tamed by an  equalizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back