The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #2,581 of 5,766
Well, I spent 1k, not 2k, on a DAC/Amp with a market value of around 1k, so I consider that a fairly low risk maneuver. I did it because it was recommended by the people I normally interacted with on this forum and I thought it's worth a try. Why Sony? Because despite the occasional exaggerated marketing, I believe Sony makes legitimate products with thoughtful design and excellent build quality.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #2,582 of 5,766
Well, I spent 1k, not 2k, on a DAC/Amp with a market value of around 1k, so I consider that a fairly low risk maneuver. I did it because it was recommended by the people I normally interacted with on this forum and I thought it's worth a try. Why Sony? Because despite the occasional exaggerated marketing, I believe Sony makes legitimate products with thoughtful design and excellent build quality.
Same here,but there has to be something in the design that makes one device better than the other .So pick your (snake) poison.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,583 of 5,766
@candlejack it’s been a while now since you’ve owned your TA, how are you finding it? Are you happy with your purchase? Do you hear any noteworthy improvements over your ZX300?

Would be great to hear your thoughts. Apologies if you’ve already shared impressions, I may have missed it earlier in the thread.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,584 of 5,766
Hi, need some help here please.
I have the TA and started to use it as pre amp for powered speakers.
I connect is via Coax cable to Asus sound card in my PC.
Evevry time there is an audio pause i hear click comming out of the TA - looks like the amp is disconnecting the inner cuircet , when press play again - it clicks again.
So every time there is a stop in the signal it cliks.
Is this normal? - is it possible to leave or dissable this operation ?

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #2,585 of 5,766
@candlejack it’s been a while now since you’ve owned your TA, how are you finding it? Are you happy with your purchase? Do you hear any noteworthy improvements over your ZX300?

Would be great to hear your thoughts. Apologies if you’ve already shared impressions, I may have missed it earlier in the thread.
Yeah, I think it's close to 2 months now. I've been using it a lot and I really enjoy it, but as far as difference or improvements vs the ZX300, I'm afraid I wasn't able to find much.

The only "testing" I've done has been with the IER on 4.4. Initially I thought there was something in the bass and clarity, but have not been able to confirm it with further testing. I guess if I wanted to spit hairs I could come up with something, but one thing is for sure: when I switch between the two, back and forth, I never get the feeling that yes, I'm listening to something different now.

I still want to try this with the MDR as well (with the HD600 there's little point as I can almost max it out on the zx300) and depending on the outcome I'll decide whether I want to keep it or not.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #2,586 of 5,766
I bought the PHA-2A today and it actually had surprising synergy with my IER-Z1R and my 1Z. I tested it with the TA and just found the PHA was better for my ears. Compact yet well built. I’m really happy and hope you love your TA :)

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,587 of 5,766
I love how taboo this stuff is.And how split the community is.You either believe 20k crystal power cables made with unicorn tears make music sound divine,or that there's no difference between 50 cent cables and 100$ cables.No in between.But people still spend 2k on a dac/amp for some reason.What makes it better than 100$ dacs ? Power clearly doesn't, usb timing doesn't.If you think that sounds ridiculous,can't wait to hear your opinion about how about vibration control in an expensive chasis (say,like the one the TA uses) affects the sound quality. Femto crystal's vibration and all that.Must be down to how magical the elves in each device are.

I used to have an IsoTek power conditioner (can't remember wich) and it certainly made a difference when my house had 80 year old unbalanced wireing setup but after the whole installation was rewired and load balanced and separated to current standards I could no longer detect any difference with or without it so sold it but kept the IsoTek power cables (their budget range)

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #2,588 of 5,766
Yeah, I think it's close to 2 months now. I've been using it a lot and I really enjoy it, but as far as difference or improvements vs the ZX300, I'm afraid I wasn't able to find much.

The only "testing" I've done has been with the IER on 4.4. Initially I thought there was something in the bass and clarity, but have not been able to confirm it with further testing. I guess if I wanted to spit hairs I could come up with something, but one thing is for sure: when I switch between the two, back and forth, I never get the feeling that yes, I'm listening to something different now.

I still want to try this with the MDR as well (with the HD600 there's little point as I can almost max it out on the zx300) and depending on the outcome I'll decide whether I want to keep it or not.
You should add one of these for a "slightly more relaxed " sound .
https://www.jordanacoustics.co.uk/products/cables/ultimate-dream-1m
For an even more relaxed sound,select the 30 month payment plan :p

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #2,589 of 5,766
I used to have an IsoTek power conditioner (can't remember wich) and it certainly made a difference when my house had 80 year old unbalanced wireing setup but after the whole installation was rewired and load balanced and separated to current standards I could no longer detect any difference with or without it so sold it but kept the IsoTek power cables (their budget range)
Unfortunately while my apartment building is "only " 50 years old,i think there's also the issue of own house vs sharing it with hundreds of people.I know someone who just moved into a recently finished building and for him it was just as bad as his old place .Aka the isotek had the same impact.But it is highly situational, not saying it's a one solution that fits all.

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,592 of 5,766
Jun 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,594 of 5,766
Does this amp seriously not have a voltage regulator? They are effectively region locked (100V for JP, 120V US, 240V CN, etc.)
That's kind of ridiculous in 2020 for a premium product. People do move around the world (well, nowadays not as much... but the point stands).

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #2,595 of 5,766
Does this amp seriously not have a voltage regulator? They are effectively region locked (100V for JP, 120V US, 240V CN, etc.)
That's kind of ridiculous in 2020 for a premium product. People do move around the world (well, nowadays not as much... but the point stands).
It used to,but you must have the new, Covid-19 "stay the **** at home " edition :p
It doesn't ,but perhaps we can interest you in a fancy power cable,linked above.It still won't work ,but Candlejack has been raving about it non stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back