The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #2,596 of 5,796
I couldn't immediately find my post a few days back about electrical cords, but I received my TA today and tried it out with several different configurations. The first thing that I have to say is that I did an A/B test, back and forth, and the 8' electrical cord I bought from Amazon definitely did degrade the sound. Not by much, but enough that it was noticeable with several comparison tests. Also, the TA is sounding pretty warm right out of the box, much like my 1A did when I first received it, and I'm wondering if there is burn-in period involved? I'm using a borrowed pair of MDR-Z7M2s through the balanced and the sound is really incredible, but not a wide soundstage with these. I'm impressed, but those who told me that I'm not going to notice too much of a difference between the TA and 1A were correct. The difference is not dramatic. I'm actually preferring the sound out of the TA when connected to the my Hiby R5 for some reason, compared to when it's connected to the 1A, even though I'm not to supposed to notice a difference between the source units. I have the sound turned up almost completely on the Hiby R5 and this is improving the dynamics. Specs on the R5: outputs balanced power up to 1040mW+1040mW@16Ω and 564mW+564mW@32Ω.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #2,597 of 5,796
I couldn't immediately find my post a few days back about electrical cords, but I received my TA today and tried it out with several different configurations. The first thing that I have to say is that I did an A/B test, back and forth, and the 8' electrical cord I bought from Amazon definitely did degrade the sound. Not by much, but enough that it was noticeable with several comparison tests. Also, the TA is sounding pretty warm right out of the box, much like my 1A did when I first received it, and I'm wondering if there is burn-in period involved? I'm using a borrowed pair of MDR-Z7M2s through the balanced and the sound is really incredible, but not a wide soundstage with these. I'm impressed, but those who told me that I'm not going to notice too much of a difference between the TA and 1A were correct. The difference is not dramatic. I'm actually preferring the sound out of the TA when connected to the my Hiby R5 for some reason, compared to when it's connected to the 1A, even though I'm not to supposed to notice a difference between the source units. I have the sound turned up almost completely on the Hiby R5 and this is improving the dynamics. Specs on the R5: outputs balanced power up to 1040mW+1040mW@16Ω and 564mW+564mW@32Ω.

I don’t get it? Is the Hiby R5 connected with analog connection or are you using the DAC in the TA? Also yes, power cords can make a difference, mine is about two feet long made of gold foil wrapped in EMI shielding. The TA will sound different too after 200 hours. Just run it on medium volume for a solid week. You should also confirm which TA firmware your using? Simply hook the TA to a Windows computer and turn it to PC, after downloading the software. You can simply confirm your firmware without changing anything.

Also take note, that any analog input still gets digital DAC processing.
3A5986B4-7929-4393-B126-95FDDAC75ACA.jpeg

You may or may not want to update to 1.03?

https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/support/downloads/Y0015296

Not as some have Mac issues. Also 1.03 is a tad brighter. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #2,598 of 5,796
I don’t get it? Is the Hiby R5 connected with analog connection or are you using the DAC in the TA? Also yes, power cords can make a difference, mine is about two feet long made of gold foil wrapped in EMI shielding. The TA will sound different too after 200 hours. Just run it on medium volume for a solid week. You should also confirm which TA firmware your using? Simply hook the TA to a Windows computer and turn it to PC, after downloading the software. You can simply confirm your firmware without changing anything.

Also take note, that any analog input still gets digital DAC processing.

You may or may not want to update to 1.03?

https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/support/downloads/Y0015296

Not as some have Mac issues. Also 1.03 is a tad brighter. Cheers!
Great, looks like I can update with a Mac laptop. I want 1.03. I’m connecting R5 with a usb cable. I assume I’m using the TA’s DAC.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #2,599 of 5,796
You may want to leave your firmware alone. I don’t use a Mac that much for the TA and only use Walkmans as a file source. Also your not going to be able to ascertain your firmware with a Mac. You may want to read father back a couple pages, one member had issues using Mac based music playing software with the TA, after updating to 1.03 with a PC. Anyway I updated but took only a passing glance as to what firmware I originally was on. I guess 1.02? But I just posted links to Sony TA 1.02 and 1.01 firmware. I have not been able to get the links to work. You do though always have active Sony links for 1.00 and 1.03. But take note; you need a PC to update your TA.

What I’m saying is if your like the member a couple pages back you may not want to update to 1.03 if your using a Mac for software music playback. Also besides myself there is really no one talking about 1.03 sounding different or better than previous firmwares. As always Sony stays in the dark publicly about firmwares changing sound.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #2,601 of 5,796

The small but positive change using the Sony MDR-Z7MK2 with TA over the Sony 1A with the Z7 MK2s is simply due to the TA having better damping factor which will clean up the Z7MK2 lower midrange and improve pace. I have never heard the MK2, but own the MK1 Z7 and MDR-Z1R thus coming to a conclusion in your use. Basically a guess.

Using different sources does make a small difference with the TA. In my personal use I found the Walkman in the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB to be the best. Next best is the USB adapter to the Walkman. Next best is the TA side connected. Fourth best is hooking a PC or Mac to the TA.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,602 of 5,796
The small but positive change using the Sony MDR-Z7MK2 with TA over the Sony 1A with the Z7 MK2s is simply due to the TA having better damping factor which will clean up the Z7MK2 lower midrange and improve pace. I have never heard the MK2, but own the MK1 Z7 and MDR-Z1R thus coming to a conclusion in your use. Basically a guess.

Using different sources does make a small difference with the TA. In my personal use I found the Walkman in the Cradle with the AQCarbon USB to be the best. Next best is the USB adapter to the Walkman. Next best is the TA side connected. Fourth best is hooking a PC or Mac to the TA.
Ever tried it with a streamer like a Aries mini ? I'm on my way (with the TA) to an Auralic dealer so i can a/b it with an G1,or another high end transport so i can put this source matters or not to rest once and for all.Even if it does,spending 2k on a streamer for a 2k dac/amp might make less sense than returning my TA and getting a 4k dac/amp/streamer like a Naim.And escape this crazy world of cables and etc.But i'd be missing out on the balanced connection,and that,to my ears made one of the biggest differences.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,603 of 5,796
Ever tried it with a streamer like a Aries mini ? I'm on my way (with the TA) to an Auralic dealer so i can a/b it with an G1,or another high end transport so i can put this source matters or not to rest once and for all.Even if it does,spending 2k on a streamer for a 2k dac/amp might make less sense than returning my TA and getting a 4k dac/amp/streamer like a Naim.And escape this crazy world of cables and etc.But i'd be missing out on the balanced connection,and that,to my ears made one of the biggest differences.
To be fair though,any differences i might hear will most likely be due to Auralic proprietary software software that does the full MQA unfold and transports it to the TA .So impossible to isolate usb /clean power/or hardware differences between it and a laptop/pc streaming.So much smoke and mirrors in this hobby

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,604 of 5,796

I haven’t but there are a few who post here regularly who went the streamer route and separated their Walkmans from the TA. It’s what ever you want really. Obviously the Walkmans will be convenient, but then for others if they like the sound.........the network devices are easier.

My whole reason for going to the Walkmans was to get away from computers. So in that essence, I did. Of course the Walkmans are still small computers

It’s hard to leave balanced once your on-board.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,605 of 5,796
I haven’t but there are a few who post here regularly who went the streamer route and separated their Walkmans from the TA. It’s what ever you want really. Obviously the Walkmans will be convenient, but then for others if they like the sound the network devices are easier.

My whole reason for going to the Walkmans was to get away from computers. So in that essence, I did. Of course the Walkmans are still small computers.
But comfortable and much more convenient small computers :)

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,606 of 5,796
Convenience aside,i'm curious about the sound quality upgrade over a PC that some seem comes because of...better timed usb signal i guess (i'm 90% sure this is snake oil but want to hear it for myself) and less noise (less sure this is snake oil but also want to hear it for myself),but most likely it's the proprietary software.Since i only stream Tidal a walkman doesn't make sense for me.And i'd rather use my pc if the sound quality is in fact the same.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #2,607 of 5,796
Just read that there are now walkmans that stream tidal,What.Any opinions on NW-ZX507 compared to that most ppl here use? WM1A and Z i guess?

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,608 of 5,796
Convenience aside,i'm curious about the sound quality upgrade over a PC that some seem comes because of...better timed usb signal i guess (i'm 90% sure this is snake oil but want to hear it for myself) and less noise (less sure this is snake oil but also want to hear it for myself),but most likely it's the proprietary software.Since i only stream Tidal a walkman doesn't make sense for me.And i'd rather use my pc if the sound quality is in fact the same.

Using the Cradle and Walkman with the AQCarbon is a small but noticeable improvement that a few folks have had emulated. If the USB noise filters and USB reclocking really do something is of course up for debate. Though you’ll still find folks emotionally committed to both sides of the argument.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #2,609 of 5,796
Just read that there are now walkmans that stream tidal,What.Any opinions on NW-ZX507 compared to that most ppl here use? WM1A and Z i guess?

But many are happy using the TA with streaming. Of course the 1Z and 1A offer very simplistic operation. Many were upset as they can receive and transmit Bluetooth but fail to do so in conjunction with the TA. But that’s a good question if the two new Android Walkmans could be joined to the TA for streaming. Actually you’ll have a somewhat Luddite group of Walkman folks who can come up with a list “even now” why they don’t like streamers. Not being able to hear the bit-rate they want........to companies randomly deleting artists without warning. The list goes on and on. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #2,610 of 5,796
If you read the thread there is really many ways people use the TA. Some use it with a two channel speaker rig as the DAC and pre-out. Actually some only use the TA with optical out of a DVD for movies. Though I do have my curiosity of if/how the TA would handle DTS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back