The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,611 of 5,797
To be fair though,any differences i might hear will most likely be due to Auralic proprietary software software that does the full MQA unfold and transports it to the TA .So impossible to isolate usb /clean power/or hardware differences between it and a laptop/pc streaming.So much smoke and mirrors in this hobby
Doesn't Tidal stream FLAC 16/44.1?

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,612 of 5,797
Jun 4, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,613 of 5,797
Aac down to 96kb, 16/44 flac and mqa from 24/44 up to 24/192
So then Adrian can test the streamers with FLAC. That *should* involve no magic software tricks.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,615 of 5,797
Yeah,im here now with the Ta and a macbook pro 16 and my own cables.like a crazy person
Haha, picture-or-it-didn't-happen!

Let us know what you find.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #2,616 of 5,797
Well they didn't have the Aries G1 ( 2.2k dedicated streamer) ,but they did have the Vega G1 streaming dac (3.8k streaming dac). No way to output to the TA so tested it by itself since i was there already.Plugged the Z1R's in with a 6.3 adapter and used it to stream Tidal and through my macbook pro 16 connected to it using a chord signature super array usb cable (around 800 euros) connected to my macbook and a 2$ lightning to usb adapter (not sure if someone makes a super expensive version of those yet,but that's an idea ).The overall sound was ...disappointing to say the least.While detail was there sound stage disappeared completely and it was all very..in your head.No dedicated headphone amp probably has an impact as well.
But the point was to compare the sound from it streaming to itself vs the macbook streaming to it via usb.
Switching between them was a pain in the ass but with all volume normalization disabled, pass through mqa enabled on both and etc...matched for settings.It sounded exactly the same on most tracks,with the exception of 1 or 2 tracks where the sound seemed somehow thinner from the Vega streaming to itself vs the Macbook feeding it .I'd call it within margin of error since switching was cumbersome but overall the macbook sounded slightly better or exactly the same on all tracks.
So from this little experiment i see no evidence that...digital source to a dac matters (especially since there was no other cable,etc involved,it was literally streaming to itself ).Unless of course there is something else between the source and dac degrading the signal somehow .
That aside, build quality was miles below the TA even and software was slow (at least on that ipad mini) and i wouldn't use that interface instead of..the tidal desktop app with a mouse and keyboard even if they paid me the 2k. Especially since i'm at my desk working all day anyway,one less box lying around i guess.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #2,617 of 5,797
@adrianm I'd like to say that I don't have a huge grin on my face right now, but I ain't no liar.

PS: it's a well known fact that $800 USB cables generally have a more intimate soundstage, i.e. they get you closer to the artists you love... very desirable stuff.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,618 of 5,797
:) I've also managed to isolate the differences between Tidal exclusive mode and system controlled modes.It was basically when it converted to other sample rates set in windows output device bit rate. Also that tidal loudness normalization ( that kill dynamics,as advanced as tidal claims their new algorithm is ) might have had an impact .Baring some weird windows errors that the Tidal app sometimes has,both sound identical now.Hardware is hardware,all is right with the world again.
I do still think there is a minimum quality to be met for all components in order for things to function/sound as they should.Compared to the cables the TA comes with i'd rather spend 50 -100 euros on a cable and at least buy peace of mind,if not much else .Though the Chord c-line usb cable i got did sound slightly better then the one it came with.It's subtle,unlike the power conditioning and power cable.
Next stop on the craziness train,i'm thinking of auditioning a Chord Dave tomorrow :)

Jun 4, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,620 of 5,797
Anyone listen to the TA through a pair of Focal Clears? If so, what did you think?
In a week or so, I’ll be able to tell you. I’m buying a pair along with the Focal Arche Amp/DAC and creating a listening area next to a comfortable couch. The Clear compares favorably to the Utopia according to a number of reviews but, like anything, I want to experience them for myself. If it doesn’t work out, my stepson is willing to take them off my hands in exchange for his continuing love and afffection!

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,621 of 5,797
In a week or so, I’ll be able to tell you. I’m buying a pair along with the Focal Arche Amp/DAC and creating a listening area next to a comfortable couch. The Clear compares favorably to the Utopia according to a number of reviews but, like anything, I want to experience them for myself. If it doesn’t work out, my stepson is willing to take them off my hands in exchange for his continuing love and afffection!
Gee, lucky kid! I ordered a refurb pair too, coming mid week next week. These instead of the HD660S which are on back order and so I'm trying to cancel that order. Senn already charged me for the 660 when I ordered them ten days ago, but later told me they're not expected to ship for another three weeks.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,622 of 5,797
turns out my unit already has
I don’t get it? Is the Hiby R5 connected with analog connection or are you using the DAC in the TA? Also yes, power cords can make a difference, mine is about two feet long made of gold foil wrapped in EMI shielding. The TA will sound different too after 200 hours. Just run it on medium volume for a solid week. You should also confirm which TA firmware your using? Simply hook the TA to a Windows computer and turn it to PC, after downloading the software. You can simply confirm your firmware without changing anything.

Also take note, that any analog input still gets digital DAC processing.

You may or may not want to update to 1.03?

https://www.sony.co.id/en/electronics/support/downloads/Y0015296

Not as some have Mac issues. Also 1.03 is a tad brighter. Cheers!
Turns out my unit already has FW 1.0.3. I just plugged into my Mac and was able to clearly see it. I'm not too impressed by the sound of the TA with WM1A as the source through a pair of the MDRZ7M2 headphones. The sound is very dark, no bright highs to speak to off, as if the sound is muffled. 24/192 Flac files sound much, much better than mp3s, unlike on the 1A alone which does an amazing job upscaling the mp3s. I'm never quite sure whether I want to keep the DSEE on, but I think my default is to leave it off. I'm wondering whether my issue is my connection method, which with the 1A is the included Walkman cable. My guess is that there's a noticeable improvement with the AQCarbon cable through USB B, dock or no dock. I'm listening at -40 - -20 db. Is this volume range normal? That it should be in the minuses?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #2,623 of 5,797
Welp, ended up pulling the trigger on one of these, even though I still think lacking a switching PSU is BS, and the highest-end product I'll have to use with it is an IER-Z1R, for which this TA may be overkill... but I really couldn't find anything else that offered a similar set of features. Plus, in my limited book this the best-looking DAC in the market.
What are some other DACs that compete with or even surpass the TA in terms of clean, elegant design?

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #2,624 of 5,797
Welp, ended up pulling the trigger on one of these, even though I still think lacking a switching PSU is BS, and the highest-end product I'll have to use with it is an IER-Z1R, for which this TA may be overkill... but I really couldn't find anything else that offered a similar set of features. Plus, in my limited book this the best-looking DAC in the market.
What are some other DACs that compete with or even surpass the TA in terms of clean, elegant design?
Very true. I'm beginning to realize however, that the source unit, connection method, file type, and chosen headphones, can all have a considerable impact on the sound quality. You have figure out what works best for you, only through trial and error of various combinations.

Jun 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,625 of 5,797
turns out my unit already has

Turns out my unit already has FW 1.0.3. I just plugged into my Mac and was able to clearly see it. I'm not too impressed by the sound of the TA with WM1A as the source through a pair of the MDRZ7M2 headphones. The sound is very dark, no bright highs to speak to off, as if the sound is muffled. 24/192 Flac files sound much, much better than mp3s, unlike on the 1A alone which does an amazing job upscaling the mp3s. I'm never quite sure whether I want to keep the DSEE on, but I think my default is to leave it off. I'm wondering whether my issue is my connection method, which with the 1A is the included Walkman cable. My guess is that there's a noticeable improvement with the AQCarbon cable through USB B, dock or no dock. I'm listening at -40 - -20 db. Is this volume range normal? That it should be in the minuses?
I don’t know what to tell you. Typically there is not exactly “tone” differences when changing sources. I mean there is a tiny bit, but nothing like you describe. The TA is normally on the slightly dark side. In many ways the Walkman 1A and the TA are opposites in the Sony Signature Line. But the differences are small and normally don’t create an issue. It’s more of a subtle interpretation of the same over-all sound.

Have you tried connecting the TA and using a computer as a source? Never heard the Z7MK2, but it’s too bad you don’t have some other headphone to try also.

Again adding the Cradle and AQCarbon is more of a fine tuning in the same direction the system is going to begin with. The highs are clearer and the timing pace is more refined but the results are super small.

For me the TA was the first set of equipment which showed the 320kbps quality in contrast to 24bit or 16/44.1. I thought I could hear a difference?

But in this situation...........and I even though the TA is regarded as laid-back and slightly dark, I’m more inclined to guess your issue is with the tone of the Z7MK2. I think your set-up is showing you how they really sound, and it may not be your thing.

Typically the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 use a V signature but due to a slight treble boost it seems to pull the headphones away from sounding too dark. The recess in the midrange also adds to give an area where more detail (or the illusion of detail) gets perceived. Take note too, this feeling of stuff being too dark has regularly been noted by lots and lots of both Z7 and Z1R members. Though after about 3 days you adjust to the tone and everything is fine. That’s my story too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back