The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,551 of 5,761
Might be a classic case of more money than sense,but seems at least worth an audition.
Someone who believes in the magic of power cables and burnin really shouldn't judge. :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #2,552 of 5,761
Well i think and noticed that it's more the mains filter making the difference than the cables themselves, they do change the sound a little bit themselves but hard to objectively argue if it's good or bad,whereas the filter made everything objectively better.Was looking for the same kind of information regarding the streamer, but in my experience a lot people on forums just like to show off the latest stuff, which is fine,to each his own.I just don't find those people reliable sources of information.Less so on head-fi vs high end speaker forums :)

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,553 of 5,761
Well i think and noticed that it's more the mains filter making the difference than the cables themselves, they do change the sound a little bit themselves but hard to objectively argue if it's good or bad,whereas the filter made everything objectively better.Was looking for the same kind of information regarding the streamer, but in my experience a lot people on forums just like to show off the latest stuff, which is fine,to each his own.I just don't find those people reliable sources of information.Less so on head-fi vs high end speaker forums :)
I hate to be a stickler (do I though?) but "objectively better" would require some kind of measurement, and I really doubt there is one. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Btw, don't you thing that an amplifier already has some power conditioning circuitry built-in, or do you think that it isn't as good a separate dedicated component?

If you seek information, Mr. Beekhuyzen on YT has a bunch of videos on streamers. He appears very knowledgeable and is very convincing. It seems to me that his beliefs align well with yours, so you might find his channel useful. However, I have to say that, in my opinion, he uses reasonable arguments to push false conclusions (I've yet to decide if he does it on purpose), but you can judge for yourself.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,554 of 5,761
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,555 of 5,761
I hate to be a stickler (do I though?) but "objectively better" would require some kind of measurement, and I really doubt there is one. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Btw, don't you thing that an amplifier already has some power conditioning circuitry built-in, or do you think that it isn't as good a separate dedicated component?

If you seek information, Mr. Beekhuyzen on YT has a bunch of videos on streamers. He appears very knowledgeable and is very convincing. It seems to me that his beliefs align well with yours, so you might find his channel useful. However, I have to say that, in my opinion, he uses reasonable arguments to push false conclusions (I've yet to decide if he does it on purpose), but you can judge for yourself.

Well to me the difference was so drastic that i realized i had a problem when i plugged it in and in some areas the TA seemed worse than the Mojo ( midrange clarity,bass tightness,separation).And when i got the Mojo i remember Rob Watts explaining on a thread that most of the improvements of the Mojo can be attributed to lower noise floor. While i'm sure there's all kinds of engineering going into the Mojo,it is also battery powered and i thought that could be the cause of the difference (Power aside,even the Mojo always seemed to me like it sounded better from my work laptops than my gaming pc at home ).So i figured i'd try an Isotek Sirius since i didn't want to go too crazy and read that the Polaris is not that effective.And it really blew me away, when i said objectively,while it may not be literal,the difference was so big that no a/b testing was required.It might just be cause my apartment building was built in '82 and because i draw so much power from that one outlet where i have the TA plugged in,YMMV,but i think it's worth trying out considering it's less than most headphone cables.This also got me thinking if battery power is part of the reason why some people prefer the Hugo 2 over the TA and the conditions of the testing. I've discovered Hans channel about a week ago researching streamers and he does seem to know what he's talking about,and objective,but i have a hard time believing the 80% differences between some streamers (maybe in his 30 k speaker system? ) What conclusions are you referring to?
I've learned to take reviewers opinions with a grain of salt since getting the Oppo pm-3's that Tyll enthusiastically recommended and while they were good, they kinda felt dead to me,and i've used them for over a year.When his review of the Z1R's came out i already had mine and it mostly validated my choice tbh.Same thing with what hi-fi,Johny Darko,etc.Seems like the newest thing is almost always best.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #2,556 of 5,761
While researching streamers i've also come across this review which measures Jitter on a Mojo and it seems to allign with what i've been hearing,that even through a jitterbug (which seems to make a bit more difference to the TA,but i couldn't A/B it for the life of me on a Mojo) there is a difference between a well constructed streamer and a pc :
https://www.hifinews.com/content/pr...network-bridge-lab-report#OTDIILVVPit26jtz.99
whether or not you can actually hear this is another thing,but if we take Rob Watts and the others for their words...a streamer might make sense.Or going optical,but apparently there are some magic cooties there that need to be addressed too,and someone will gladly sell you a toy for 2k.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,559 of 5,761
Guys ( & Girls. ) i'm looking for feedback from owners of the Focal Stellia headphones with the TA ?? Seriously thinking of buying another headphone to compliment my others, one being the Sony MDR-Z1R's.

Thanks.
I own both the Stellia and MDR-Z1R and have used both with the TA. The Stellia is EASILY the absolute best closed headphone I’ve ever used; the sound is neutral, accurate and there is detail galore. I’m usually skeptical when it comes to glowing reviews (and I read lots of them before purchasing) but the Stellia lives up to the hype. I also own the Utopia and the Stellia is it’s equal in my opinion. The MDR-Z1R is also a really good set of Headphones but it is hard to describe other than to say the sound seems artificial to me. If you like bass, and what some have described as the Sony house sound, these may be for you. They are very comfortable but the Stellia comes away as the clear winner to me after extensive comparisons. Both are easily driven by the TA. I’d read the Stellia thread for more context:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-stellia-review-measurements-interview-head-fi-tv.899912/

Good luck! You really can’t go wrong with the Stellia in my opinion.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #2,560 of 5,761
I own both the Stellia and MDR-Z1R and have used both with the TA. The Stellia is EASILY the absolute best closed headphone I’ve ever used; the sound is neutral, accurate and there is detail galore. I’m usually skeptical when it comes to glowing reviews (and I read lots of them before purchasing) but the Stellia lives up to the hype. I also own the Utopia and the Stellia is it’s equal in my opinion. The MDR-Z1R is also a really good set of Headphones but it is hard to describe other than to say the sound seems artificial to me. If you like bass, and what some have described as the Sony house sound, these may be for you. They are very comfortable but the Stellia comes away as the clear winner to me after extensive comparisons. Both are easily driven by the TA. I’d read the Stellia thread for more context:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-stellia-review-measurements-interview-head-fi-tv.899912/

I've never tried the Stelia, but that desctiption would make me not want them as I love the musical, euphonic and yes coloured sound of the MDR

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #2,561 of 5,761
[QU

That's unfortunate ,lol. Do you perceive the Stellia's as having more resolution,or do you think details are harder to follow on the Z1R's due to the tuning? Are you using them both with the TA at the moment or did you get something else for the Focals? I ,for one, had some Oppo pm-3's which were considered pretty neutral (kinda like the Stellias,but not on the same level ofc) and , while i perceived them as being really detailed, after a year i got bored with them and found myself wanting more bass and more musicality.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,562 of 5,761

Thanks for the feedback, i've found it most helpful & i will definitely be reading through the Stellia thread.

I bought my Z1R's about a year ago now & within a short space of time i loved them, but just lately i'm either loving them or really disliking them. There is an harshness there with the treble that i don't think i was aware of in the begining ?? ( & yes i have other cables, other than the stock one. )

I actually like bass & i also own the Sony 1am2's and i love these because of the bass. ( Well, oneof the reasons. ) I'd say more bass than the Z1R's. I thought the Z1R's were good with everything.....now i'm not so sure ??

I'm really looking for that headphone that isn't harsh with the treble or any part of the sound spectrum. I've read plenty of reviews during the last 24hrs or so & i'm being inclined to go for them, even though very expensive, but it's a product for a lifetime, if you like them ??

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,563 of 5,761
Thanks for the feedback, i've found it most helpful & i will definitely be reading through the Stellia thread.

I bought my Z1R's about a year ago now & within a short space of time i loved them, but just lately i'm either loving them or really disliking them. There is an harshness there with the treble that i don't think i was aware of in the begining ?? ( & yes i have other cables, other than the stock one. )

I actually like bass & i also own the Sony 1am2's and i love these because of the bass. ( Well, oneof the reasons. ) I'd say more bass than the Z1R's. I thought the Z1R's were good with everything.....now i'm not so sure ??

I'm really looking for that headphone that isn't harsh with the treble or any part of the sound spectrum. I've read plenty of reviews during the last 24hrs or so & i'm being inclined to go for them, even though very expensive, but it's a product for a lifetime, if you like them ??
If you want more muted/smooth treble and like bass a lot, why not Audeze?

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #2,564 of 5,761
[QU

That's unfortunate ,lol. Do you perceive the Stellia's as having more resolution,or do you think details are harder to follow on the Z1R's due to the tuning? Are you using them both with the TA at the moment or did you get something else for the Focals? I ,for one, had some Oppo pm-3's which were considered pretty neutral (kinda like the Stellias,but not on the same level ofc) and , while i perceived them as being really detailed, after a year i got bored with them and found myself wanting more bass and more musicality.
I’m only offering an opinion, not a full fledged review. Both seem to be equally resolving (slight edge to Stellia) but they sound different. I prefer the Stellia but I still use the Z1R occasionally. I’ve recently added an SPL Phonitor 2 and am currently using the Sony as a DAC for the most part. I like variety, so I do switch to my other headphones for something different (Audeze LCD-X, Utopia, Z1R, Stellia, etc).

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,565 of 5,761
I sometime feel the way Rob does,but i wouldn't part with the Z1R's. The Stellia's seem to complement them perfectly, but they are kinda expensive and i've read they do get discoloured easily on the Stellia thread .
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard any of these with a higher end dac like the Dave? is there really a whole other level to be gained by upgrading like people who own it/them like to claim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back