The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 29, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #2,476 of 5,760
HQ cable? are you referring to the stock cable that came with it? or if not, do you have link?

Congratulations on your new TA. Any noticeable improvements so far. To answer your question about the AQCarbon...... it’s debatable how much improvement it raises? Though yes, it can be used as a USB from a computer to the TA instead of the Cradle while your waiting for the Cradle.

These improvements with the Cradle and AQCarbon are used by a number of members. Obviously individual results may vary. Though for me the Cradle arrived before the AQCarbon. I made the mistake of getting the 5 foot AQCarbon but really the shorter one is better. Shorter has less opportunity to gather EMF exposure. But when the AQCarbon arrived I noticed a more focused treble imaging as well as better pace.

May 29, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #2,477 of 5,760
Here is what you need. I use this to connect my WM1Z to a usb cable with my TA-ZH1ES.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH...y+Walkman+adapter+cable&qid=1590801606&sr=8-2

EDIT: I see Redcarmoose already provided the link!

That cable allows a higher hit-rate on some files which the side cable will not allow. Somewhere back in this thread a member posted all the bit-rate files that then side cable and rear USB cable adapter provide. Interestingly enough the Cradle will allow the same bit-rates as the adapter but adds USB reclocking and noise filtering. When you combine that with the added transfer effects of the AQCarbon, results can get noticed.....by some. :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #2,478 of 5,760
That cable allows a higher hit-rate on some files which the side cable will not allow. Somewhere back in this thread a member posted all the bit-rate files that then side cable and rear USB cable adapter provide. Interestingly enough the Cradle will allow the same bit-rates as the adapter but adds USB reclocking and noise filtering. When you combine that with the added transfer effects of the AQCarbon, results can get noticed.....by some. :)
I like the cradle and I believe I am getting better results than the side cable but its a bit clumsy to use when I’m searching through music. Using the adapter and a usb cable is more convenient. I’m currently using the TA-ZH1ES as the DAC for my SPL Phonitor 2 and getting spectacular results! This pic shows the side cable connection but I’ve since switched to a Nordost Blue Heaven with the adapter.
61E1EF6E-DEEE-432C-808C-0792AA625676.jpeg

May 29, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,479 of 5,760
I like the cradle and I believe I am getting better results than the side cable but its a bit clumsy to use when I’m searching through music. Using the adapter and a usb cable is more convenient. I’m currently using the TA-ZH1ES as the DAC for my SPL Phonitor 2 and getting spectacular results! This pic shows the side cable connection but I’ve since switched to a Nordost Blue Heaven with the adapter.

That’s a good point, some may not like changing songs or albums if the Walkman angle is not correct. It works for me though, maybe because it’s level at eye sight? Some also feel the Walkmans can be slightly wobbly on the Cradle.

564BB812-C786-4936-B3B6-D2CD8A31991A.jpeg
B4138152-B0F4-4BE9-B721-CCEE27F0E54D.jpeg

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,480 of 5,760
In the current Power cable prices ... i think it will be cheaper to move the wall closer than to buy a 3 meter cable..:wink:
It really does not matter - just buy an extension cord and that all. From the extension - use a HQ cable , the TA benefit from it in sound.
I was referring to the a/c power cord for the TA. i wasn't sure what was meant by "HQ" (high quality?) Can anyone tell me how long the stock a/c power cord is for the TA, and if it's under 8 feet, has anyone used an aftermarket replacement that is longer? I'm guessing using an extension cord connected to the stock cord might degrade the power of the amp? or, maybe using any longer power cable would do so as well?

May 29, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #2,481 of 5,760
That’s a good point, some may not like changing songs or albums if the Walkman angle is not correct. It works for me though, maybe because it’s level at eye sight?
The WM1Z is heavy (as you know) and it just does not feel secure enough in the cradle when changing songs or albums. The downside of using the USB/adapter is that the device isn’t charging. i do like the cradle because it is at eye level. First world problems, but I’ll struggle through it!

May 29, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,482 of 5,760
I was referring to the a/c power cord for the TA. i wasn't sure what was meant by "HQ" (high quality?) Can anyone tell me how long the stock a/c power cord is for the TA, and if it's under 8 feet, has anyone used an aftermarket replacement that is longer? I'm guessing using an extension cord connected to the stock cord might degrade the power of the amp? or, maybe using any longer power cable would do so as well?
Well, it’s definitely under 8 feet. A good heavy duty short extension cable or decent quality surge protector will be just fine.

May 30, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #2,484 of 5,760
May 30, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,485 of 5,760
You are way overthinking this. There are power fluctuations from your electric grid, your home wiring may br flawed, your wall plugs might be low quality, etc, etc. if you are that concerned, then consider a power conditioner. Here’s a link:
https://www.moon-audio.com/bryston-bit15-transformer.html
okay, guess I deserved that, lol! I have a power conditioner for my AVR and other components, but it's a $400 one, not $3k. And I have Nordost power cords for my Node 2i and Oppo 103D and I'm convinced they make a difference.

May 30, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #2,486 of 5,760
I’m using the cheapest IsoTek Powercord for my TA

May 30, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #2,487 of 5,760
Haha. Why so emotional. Simply lighten up. No big deal. Look at it like being in the supermarket and seeing someone buy something you don’t like. It’s what they are into. If someone was buying a big jar of pickles you wouldn’t get worked up; even though you don’t like pickles. :)
First of all, I love pickles OK? Don't you dare suggest otherwise! :)
Then, it really is no big deal... a few tears here and there make for a healthy stress release. :) But your illustration is incorrect. This is more like seeing someone at the supermarket shopping for ingredients to make an apple pie and leaving with a bag of nails.
The WM1Z is heavy (as you know) and it just does not feel secure enough in the cradle when changing songs or albums. The downside of using the USB/adapter is that the device isn’t charging. i do like the cradle because it is at eye level. First world problems, but I’ll struggle through it!
The side cable works fine for charging my ZX300. Doesn't it also work for the 1Z?
So, using a surge protector is not going to impact (degrade) the sound in any way? This is my fear..
Fears are good. They keep you sharp, on your toes, where you gotta be.
okay, guess I deserved that, lol! I have a power conditioner for my AVR and other components, but it's a $400 one, not $3k. And I have Nordost power cords for my Node 2i and Oppo 103D and I'm convinced they make a difference.
They certainly do make a difference... for your wallet.

May 30, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #2,488 of 5,760
First of all, I love pickles OK? Don't you dare suggest otherwise! :)
Then, it really is no big deal... a few tears here and there make for a healthy stress release. :) But your illustration is incorrect. This is more like seeing someone at the supermarket shopping for ingredients to make an apple pie and leaving with a bag of nails.

The side cable works fine for charging my ZX300. Doesn't it also work for the 1Z?

Fears are good. They keep you sharp, on your toes, where you gotta be.

They certainly do make a difference... for your wallet.
Ha! Very true. Okay, here’s the cable I settled on:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7QKARU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

May 30, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,490 of 5,760
Is the XLR output the best balanced connection of em’ all? Better than the 4.4?

Never tried it but would expect them to be identical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back